AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Camelback bladders.

I am an old canteen guy, but I have been coming across NEW Camelbacks good deals.

A few things I need to know.

1. Any Good?
2. Do they mildew inside as it is hard to get them dry.
3. How do you clean them inside of the bladder?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,782 Posts
they are good, the camelback brand ones.
Combat tested, mother approved.

The only thing you need is a brush that most come with.

Search their website for cleaning instructions, dont use dish soap etc.....

Most tacitcal backpacks these days are made to take them too.

Army buys them for every troop in the field so they must be good.
We usually freeze ours before a mission and wear it to use as an ice pack to cool off in the desert heat.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,046 Posts
Great piece of gear. Be sure to store it properly, buy an extra hose set, and be sure not to wear a pack atop of it otherwise your water might break :goof: (seriously, it will.)
 

· Registered
Joined
·
878 Posts
a good piece of equipment.

also, if you're an old alice pack type of guy you can usually fit one on there as well and attach it pretty easily. down in the void between the frame and your back with the bottom of the camelbak kinda resting behind the kidney pad. use the straps or rings to attach it to the frame.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
8,049 Posts
I enjoy mine. I've used a Camelbak since the mid-1990's. I only run water in mine. Never had an issue with mold or anything else.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
466 Posts
I use a Camelbak Mule everyday on my bike rides. Had it for 3 years never had a issue. I use filtered water in mine and clean the mouthpiece once a week and the bladder gets cleaned every three months or so. If you put it away with moisture still in the tube or bladder then you run the risk of growing algae in it.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
942 Posts
I'm an old canteen guy myself, but last year I bought a small Camelback pack for hunting, and I must admit its kickass. This year I bought the cleaning kit for it, and it does indeed make life a lot easier. Just water here, too. I have to admit its pretty nice to wear your water supply on your back instead of it swinging and sloshing on your hip.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,880 Posts
Tinker said:
I'm an old canteen guy myself, but last year I bought a small Camelback pack for hunting, and I must admit its kickass. This year I bought the cleaning kit for it, and it does indeed make life a lot easier. Just water here, too. I have to admit its pretty nice to wear your water supply on your back instead of it swinging and sloshing on your hip.
Same, I carry USGI 1 quart canteens.
 

· Super Moderator
Joined
·
26,840 Posts
Damn fine piece of gear. As others have said, store it properly....make sure its DRY when not in use.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
8,049 Posts
Mouthwash makes for a good cleaner if you don't have the brushes handy and can be minty fresh... :goof:

Learned that trick in my WWII reneacting days. Used mouthwash to clean up my 1944 dated USGI canteen that my uncle carried in Viet Nam.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
753 Posts
Camelbacks are good stuff. Been using them since '94 when we had bike races down here and the company showed up and gave a bunch out to the staff and racers.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
942 Posts
joedog said:
You did good.

joedog
I'll SAY! Man, the yard sale deals I get are so few and far between. Maybe once a year I get a decent find. I won't even stop at a sale that has a ton of "babyshit" - all baby-related goods. The kids grow up and the mom sells the leftover crap. I call it babyshit. Useless.

I like MPiKM-72's idea of using mouthwash. Makes sense that if it kills the cooties in your mouth, it'll kill them in your camelbak.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,578 Posts
I have been using one for 10+ years now. I use while bow hunting in September. Here in eastern NC the temps are in the upper 90s still. I freeze the bladder as well and I can stay all day in my stand.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,880 Posts
MPiKM-72 said:
Mouthwash makes for a good cleaner if you don't have the brushes handy and can be minty fresh... :goof:

Learned that trick in my WWII reneacting days. Used mouthwash to clean up my 1944 dated USGI canteen that my uncle carried in Viet Nam.
Hmm, never thought of that. I've always used Everclear. Once when I was airsofting and I shared my canteen, people complained of the hint of Everclear left in there.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,307 Posts
Tinker said:
I like MPiKM-72's idea of using mouthwash. Makes sense that if it kills the cooties in your mouth, it'll kill them in your camelbak.
The camelbak fizzy cleaning tablets that they sell are nothing more than repackaged fizzy denture cleaning tablets, the REI guy told me...same theory - if it will clean your gross mouth, it'll clean your bladder.

joedog
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,046 Posts
I too subscribe to the school of mouthwash, but I guess I'm a dirty guy because unless it tastes REALLY REALLY (and I mean really) bad, I don't ever clean it. Dunno why, I guess I'm just a dirty bastard :goof: A quick rinse works pretty well but it is nice drinking from a camelbak and having it taste so minty fresh now and again.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,578 Posts
joedog said:
Tinker said:
I like MPiKM-72's idea of using mouthwash. Makes sense that if it kills the cooties in your mouth, it'll kill them in your camelbak.
The camelbak fizzy cleaning tablets that they sell are nothing more than repackaged fizzy denture cleaning tablets, the REI guy told me...same theory - if it will clean your gross mouth, it'll clean your bladder.

joedog
I guess I can now clean my teeth and bladder together from now on. :grin:
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,942 Posts
Joedog that is good info to know.

I do not own one as of yet. One of my concerns was getting it clean. I am a neat freak. The idea of something that does not wash out like a canteen does bugs me a bit. So I have a silly question, how does the tablets clean it out? I understand the mouth wash, and think that is a good idea.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top