AK Rifles banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
I dont personally know of any body that is particularly good when it comes to tantals but I'm sure some one here will tell you which direction to go.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
So quick update from the 'Stan. I talked to the Two Rivers folks and Tim was very helpful. He took the time to go over the rifle while I was on the line with him and put up with all over the connection issues when making a call from the land that time forgot.
Anyway, looks like the Tantal does need a new barrel. I went ahead and ordered one from AK_Builder

16.625" 5.45x39 Polish Tantal - 4150 Chrome Moly Steel CHF- US Black Nitrided Barrel.
I didn't see any reviews on the AK Builder site - anyone have any experience with their barrles?

expecting a 5 month timeframe as Tworivers is extremely busy but - I have the time.

Thanks for the input you guys

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
So, 7 months ago
So as the title states, I had a Polish Tantal gifted to me. Some guy inherited his pops gun collection and was anti-gun. He gave the Tantal as well as a Saiga 12 to a friend of mine who is a gunsmith. Well after knowing him many years and recently returning from a contract overseas, I was surprised to see an AK on his workbench. When I asked when he had a change of heart, his reply was " I never did. Do you want it?" He hates working on AKs because of all the rivets and nonstandard sizes - his words.. After repeatedly asking if I wanted it, I replied that I wouldn't say no. Long story short - I walked out with it.
Now, it wasn't complete and was completely filthy. Here is what I got.
View attachment 291895

View attachment 291897

View attachment 291899

View attachment 291901

When I got home I started a mad feverish cleaning on everything I could. I am unsure of the barrel because, well, I cannot get it as clean as any other barrel I have owned - so I'm debating having it re-barreled. There are some light rust spots inside the receiver area that I am going to try to clear up - other than that, I want to put furniture on her and find a cleaning rod.
For a free Tantal, I'm not complaining. Any thoughts or comments/concerns are very welcome.
Anyway, thanks for looking.

TX_Inquisition
So It finally made its way back home - Two Rivers delivered. My wife sent a couple of pics to show me it was here but I wanted to at least post this update - Now I just need to get back home from Afghanistan to mount the grip and enjoy it, LOL.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The test-fire was flawless, all concerns addressed and corrected.
Thanks J.
And I couldn't be happier - Now to find a Tantal lower HG and the pistol grip to make her just right. I picked up one of the Upper HG mods by JoJo_SVK on the files - He also makes the Tantal Cleaning rods that fit like a glove.
Looking to match it with a bakelite hg set. This pic is with a Bulgarian lower HG and a plum upper.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts