AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as the title states, I had a Polish Tantal gifted to me. Some guy inherited his pops gun collection and was anti-gun. He gave the Tantal as well as a Saiga 12 to a friend of mine who is a gunsmith. Well after knowing him many years and recently returning from a contract overseas, I was surprised to see an AK on his workbench. When I asked when he had a change of heart, his reply was " I never did. Do you want it?" He hates working on AKs because of all the rivets and nonstandard sizes - his words.. After repeatedly asking if I wanted it, I replied that I wouldn't say no. Long story short - I walked out with it.
Now, it wasn't complete and was completely filthy. Here is what I got.
20200710_193514_resized.jpg

Serial post.JPG

20200710_193555_resized.jpg

20200710_193606_resized.jpg

When I got home I started a mad feverish cleaning on everything I could. I am unsure of the barrel because, well, I cannot get it as clean as any other barrel I have owned - so I'm debating having it re-barreled. There are some light rust spots inside the receiver area that I am going to try to clear up - other than that, I want to put furniture on her and find a cleaning rod.
For a free Tantal, I'm not complaining. Any thoughts or comments/concerns are very welcome.
Anyway, thanks for looking.

TX_Inquisition

·
Registered
21,639 Posts
Some of those century tantals has 556 barrels and keyholed out of the box. if you have one of those, a rebarrel is definitely worth it. otherwise just shoot it as is.

I saw a few sets of furniture on the marketplace here. I would get the folder first since its pretty comfy and handy

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Sorry there Badinfluence74, I am going to clean this up and keep it.

Cheers

10Guage - Yeah I am trying to figure out which furniture sets I can put on it. From what I have gathered here - any AKM warsaw length stocks should fit as well as most grips will too. The upper Handguard is the stickler. I definitely do not want to cut the retainer so will look for some Tantal upper piece. I tried to find out if the cleaning rod is specific to Tantals but I cant really find anything. Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
8,029 Posts
You can still fire it without an upper handguard - the gas tube will still stay in place.

Almost any lower handguard and rear stock will work.

Just parts kits have been selling for more than $800. Looks like everything but the furniture is there.

You can do a "bullet test" - insert the projectile end of a live round into the muzzle and see if the jacket gets swallowed by the bore - good way to check for worn or defective bores in the field.

My advice is to get some furniture on it and then shoot it to verify if it keyholes or not. I'd shoot it at 25, 50 and 100 yards.

Even though most cartridges are hard to find right now oddball cartridges like 5.45 are available.

Congrats!

What part of Texas?

Reactions: scottyb

·
Registered
23 Posts
Robertrtg.com has a lot of Tantal bits. I put a set of Beryl hand guards on my Century; they look pretty good.

The 5.56 barrel story is real. I had one, for two days (the seller agreed to buy it back). Keyholes at 25 yards running commercial ammo. Early builds are suspect. There are all sorts of posts on what serials are good, bad, etc. there is a slight chance you have a Polish barrel; the earliest kits supposedly came with intact ones. If it is, supposedly there will be numbers stamped on the underside where the handguards fit.

It is a unique AK variant, and I enjoy mine a great deal. Third time was the charm in my search: mine is a 2011 Y-serial that was new in the box. I had to break the folding stock latch free because of CAI’s legendary sheep-dip parkerizing technique.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
103 Posts
You can still fire it without an upper handguard - the gas tube will still stay in place.

Almost any lower handguard and rear stock will work.

Just parts kits have been selling for more than $800. Looks like everything but the furniture is there.

You can do a "bullet test" - insert the projectile end of a live round into the muzzle and see if the jacket gets swallowed by the bore - good way to check for worn or defective bores in the field.

My advice is to get some furniture on it and then shoot it to verify if it keyholes or not. I'd shoot it at 25, 50 and 100 yards.

Even though most cartridges are hard to find right now oddball cartridges like 5.45 are available.

Congrats!

What part of Texas?

Good tip for him in the bullet test...

Also very true about 5.45 academy has boxes of sitting there while everything else is wiped out.

·
Registered
21,639 Posts
Reactions: scottyb

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Robert RTG had tantal cleaning rods for 12 bucks and they're out of stock. Apex had them for 20.

https://atlanticfirearms.com/products/AK47-RIFLE-CLEANING-ROD-WASR

its not tantal but its available and cheap. not an issue if you're not picky about authenticity but since the furniture wont be original it should be fine.
So the WASR as a 7.62 rod wont be an issue for the 5.45 of the Tantal - honestly asking and not trying to be a smart ass. Couldnt care about purism yet - I have my Zastava M92 tricked out and eventually will do this one.
What really makes me itch was while in Afghanistan, we found a cache in the Khowst. One of the AKs our team recovered was a 1953 Izhmash marked AK47 - all matching numbers and only issue was that the Barrel had blown out near the muzzlebreak. I wanted that thing SO bad but it was demo'd by our EOD guy.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Robertrtg.com has a lot of Tantal bits. I put a set of Beryl hand guards on my Century; they look pretty good.

The 5.56 barrel story is real. I had one, for two days (the seller agreed to buy it back). Keyholes at 25 yards running commercial ammo. Early builds are suspect. There are all sorts of posts on what serials are good, bad, etc. there is a slight chance you have a Polish barrel; the earliest kits supposedly came with intact ones. If it is, supposedly there will be numbers stamped on the underside where the handguards fit.

It is a unique AK variant, and I enjoy mine a great deal. Third time was the charm in my search: mine is a 2011 Y-serial that was new in the box. I had to break the folding stock latch free because of CAI’s legendary sheep-dip parkerizing technique.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is the receiver serial -
20200710_193317_resized.jpg

·
Registered
21,639 Posts
So the WASR as a 7.62 rod wont be an issue for the 5.45 of the Tantal - honestly asking and not trying to be a smart ass. Couldnt care about purism yet - I have my Zastava M92 tricked out and eventually will do this one.
What really makes me itch was while in Afghanistan, we found a cache in the Khowst. One of the AKs our team recovered was a 1953 Izhmash marked AK47 - all matching numbers and only issue was that the Barrel had blown out near the muzzlebreak. I wanted that thing SO bad but it was demo'd by our EOD guy.
I actually don't know. i didn't think about it to be honest.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The tantal kit I have has the cleaning rod. It's very thin. I doubt a wasr cleaning rod would make it down a tantal barrel with a patch. Nice score though by the way. Did you actually get ot for free? Good for you if so :)

·
Registered
21,639 Posts
The tantal kit I have has the cleaning rod. It's very thin. I doubt a wasr cleaning rod would make it down a tantal barrel with a patch. Nice score though by the way. Did you actually get ot for free? Good for you if so :)
Don't shame the wasr rod plz :( it's thicc

:p

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yessir - I picked up the box and too her home for a DEEP cleaning, lol.
Sadly, I was called back overseas and am in the land that time forgot ,(AF). As I can't work on it anymore at the moment, I am debating sending it out to someone to totally strip down, beadblast and rebuild.

Any suggestions on who to go to that is good with Tantals? I'd like them to do a no shit assessment on the barrel and if needed, replace while it is stripped.

Thanks again guys

·
Registered
8,298 Posts
An AKM rod won’t take any of the Tantal cleaning accessories, nor will it fit through the rifle’s gas block for storage.

Tantal rods are the thinnest of all, even thinner than standard AK-74.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts