AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to Cabela's to window shop and get a new gun. Had my eyes on a glock 21 and figured they would have one in stock.

Price? $619.00, he ask if I would like to look at it...I ask him why the firearms were over MSRP...he walked off.

Nagants with a cheap camo synthetic stock were $169.95, USED Alantic Full size Uzi was $1200. Used Glock 19 was $499.99 with obvious use. Good grade SKS were $229.00...

They had a good selection of mags, but nothing I had a use for...

How can a place like that stay in business? Selling to morons?

·
Registered
446 Posts
i never thought cabela's was cheap. just convenient. i have never purchaced anything from cabela's. i doubt that most internet savy people spend very much there. it is kool to stop and check out the game mounts when i'm in the area.

i'm sure you can find that glock on the internet. puchace it and have it sent to your local ffl for less than you will get it locally. :smile:

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
We have a couple of big gun dealers at local shows that price everything like that.

All of their business is by credit cards, bought by people that really can't afford to buy a gun(so they "finance" it on a CC).

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
There are always going to be impulsive and uneducated buyers out there to take to rip off.

I frequently show that I am not one of those idiots by allowing local retailers the chance to match their comeptitor's price before I order online. More often than not they decline. That just shows how many idiots there are, and of course those still without i-net access.

·
Registered
921 Posts
They had a German police P7 trade in that they were selling as NEW, I asked the sales guy why it was being sold as new, "it's rebuilt, new barrel so its new" uh okay.... they can charge what they want and I will shop where I want, unfortunatley lots of people aren't in the know of gun prices so they get tooken.

·
Registered
519 Posts
They just installed a Cabela's over the state line in Post Falls, ID. I called them last year about a great deal they had on 9mm and .45 ammo...something like by 1000rnds and get a free ammo can, etc. They told me yeah they could handle that, I wouldn't have to pay all the shipping fees, etc. COME ON OVER, I got the guys name and he said he would be there. The deal was for some new reloads, which was not problem as it was just for shooter stuff. I drove the 30 miles over and was impressed with the size of the place, good marketing stragedy with kid's games, food courts, all that crap. I went over to the gun area, fell in love with some guns in the "special" area. I looked up Marv in the gun/ammo department and we went looking for the special rounds...."Hmmmm", says Marv...."Looks like we don't have any of that in stock" I told Marv that he assured me that he could take care of me, he remembered well and told me to wait and he would see what he could do. I waited, Marv comes out with his supervisor who politely tells me that it is Cabela's policy to stick by their offers. Together we went into the ammo department and counted out 1000rnds of 9mm and 1000rnds of .45 and loaded it into a couple ammo cans, the only hang was that it was Remington UPC stuff...But the bonus was that they only charged me the bulk rate. Needless to say guys I kinda like Cabela's...and oh yeah they signed me up for their credit card and I got something like $15bucks off on top of it.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I shopped at Cabela's online once only cause I had a gift card to use. Otherwise, they are overpriced.

The actual store though, from what I hear is like a heaven for gun lovers. It is big and impressive like Fearless said. They also have a museum with many collectible guns of all kinds, but in the end, they are still way overpriced.

I was dying to go to the one in Lebanon, PA (?) for the longest time but now that I know a little more, not that much.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Places Like Cablea's and REI are great...... I usually go there and try on the Danner boots, and or Mountain Hardware packs and stuff so I can make sure I order the right size for half the price on the Internet :wink:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Cabelas just opened a store here in Rapid City, I didn't check the new rifle prices, but the used prices were ok for this area. Ammo was cheaper off the shelf than most other places in town. If you consider the shipping and handling charges when you order on line, their prices aren't too bad. I am glad they opened as it should bring the other local gun shops in line with ammo prices and firearms.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Cabela's and Gander are great places to fondle! They always have a great selection, but I'd never buy there unless it was an earth shattering deal...

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Cabela's

There 6 easy payment plan "was" nice. They just did away with it. I ended up getting a couple thousand rounds of x 39 w/o the wife knowing it :wink: There ammo prices on Wolf Mil classic was pretty par.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Stottman said:
Not everyone has a subscription to Shotgun News, a Gunbroker account, or visits Sturmgewehr.com on a regular basis..

Most gunowners/buyers are casual types that dont do allot of research. They go to a store and make a purchase.
+1. The same reason Best Buy, Bose, and Monster Cable are still in business. Most people don't do their research and act on impulse.

·
Registered
629 Posts
they're like big 5, you need to get their sales magzines, the sales are always a good deal, but their normal prices, just listen to Umungus "Just walk away" but big 5 and cabelas are my friend if that one gun is on that one sale....

·
Registered
84 Posts
Actually if you live close it can be pretty good. I've found three of my guns there completely mismarked by some nimrod who probably shouldn't have been working in that dept. But then I can Drive there once a week easy to check frequently. And yes, most everything is overpriced but they're working on the Meijer principle, everything at one store one stop.

·
Registered
719 Posts
They had their 9mm and .40 Glocks on sale (flyer) last week for $499 here in MI.
Catch it on sale great, but some items are high.
Gotta say their customer service is great. I bought a pair of Danners for a good price - as cheap as anywhere on the net. Had a problem with them the first week wearing them and took them back. They ordered me a new pair, and had them delivered to my house in 2 days.
If I buy a Glock or spend over $500 there, I'll get a free cash card for $150.
:dance:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts