AK Rifles banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at 2 basic choices right now, the MK 760 or a Mac with Lage upper. (I need to stay under by budget of 6K to allow room for ammo, accessories, etc).

Which would be the wiser choice between the two as a general purpose fun gun?

·
Registered
519 Posts
Just out of curiousity are prices for older semi-auto Model A Uzis out of reach. I owned one back in the later 70's, back then the only difference between the Model A Uzi and the real deal full-auto Uzi was the bolt. You simply opened up the receiver cover, removed the semi-auto bolt and installed the full auto bolt. Then you could remove the legal 16" barrel and install the 10" which stuck about 2" beyond the barrel nut. The only difference between the two was that the semi auto fired from the closed bolt, the full auto fired from the open bolt. Insert a mag, pull back on the bolt and it stays open until you squeeze the trigger and will keep that up until you release the trigger...there was no option for semi-auto fire with that configuration. But the truly neat thing about all that stuff was that it was not illegal to have the full auto bolt and short barrel in the same bag as the Uzi, it was only illegal to have them in the Uzi. Total time to change-out from semi to full auto was somewhere around 30 seconds if you practiced and had everything right in front of you. They discontinued production of the Model A type Uzi probably for this very reason, great little weapons, super designed folding stock, with the 16" barrel it was easy to bust milk jugs at 50yds. With the full auto bolt you could with practice and the right angle fire 33rnds off and as the last round left the barrel reach out and catch the first spent cartridge.
Back then the complete rifle with all the stuff was around 500 bills which wasn't cheap by any means, I ended up trading mine for a pickup.

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
what caliber of MAC, 9mm???

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, both 9mm.

I've snooped around a bit more and found a couple of Uzis that are also candidates, but obviously a bit more expensive.

·
Registered
14,916 Posts
I'd go with an UZI, registered receiver gun, they are much higher quality than the MAC's, (although there's a lot you can do with the MAC), and spare parts are all over the place.

As a general rule of thumb, I try to buy the absolute best I can afford, it saves a lot of regret later.

·
Registered
6,449 Posts
Not to steal the thread, but I am in the same boat. I want full auto, but I have under $5K to spend.

I really want an UZI, but they are about $7K right now. There is one cheaper UZI which is registered bolt, should I go for it?

With registered bolt UZI I can't shoot .22LR, which is important at these ammo prices, but on the other hand, receiver can wear out, the UZI bolt is basically indestructible?

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Templar, good advice, and I'm sure you're right.

Uzi will probably be the winner based on what I've read online about the SW 76 and MK 760...seems iffy.

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
If I were going to spend $6000, I would consider a Ruger AC556.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
I have a Mini-UZI w/ registered bolt. Other than not being able to switch calibers, I don't have a problem with it. I'm thinking about buying a UZI pistol to drop the bolt in.

·
Registered
6,449 Posts
So, if you drop the full auto bolt in any of the semi auto UZIs on the market today, it will shoot full auto without modification?

buckshot27 said:
I have a Mini-UZI w/ registered bolt. Other than not being able to switch calibers, I don't have a problem with it. I'm thinking about buying a UZI pistol to drop the bolt in.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Uzi won. :twisted:

IMI registered receiver gun, Fleming conversion, dealer is only 45 minutes away from me. I ran 250 rounds thru it today, and...wow. Fun doesn't begin to describe it.

Pardon the crappy cellphone cam pic, but here it is:

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update: purchase complete, going to get the money order for the ATF today :mrgreen:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts