AK Rifles banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After buying and handling my ( :hail: ) VEPR II and it being the only AK I've ever shot, I've become somewhat elitist regarding AK's. It's just so solid! I was asking about a second one and .308 was recommended but I think I'd be better served with a .223 VEPR K. I have 2 questions:

1. I imagine that it'll be pretty accurate as the .223 round is inherently so, is this correct? (comparatively speaking to my 7.62 baby)

2. Are quality non-standard caliber (non 7.62/5.45) AK mags hard to come by?

·
Registered
621 Posts
FOr the .223 your gonna have to use a cinverted 5.45 mag.
And the .223 is more accurate than the 7.62. Its a trade off 7.62 is bigger and hits harder.

·
Registered
16 Posts
:jiggy: A Big Ditto to that! I still love my Arsenal slr101s but the VEPR is the shit. They ooze quality. I'm already eyeballin one in .308.

Bigcheese :animak:

G

·
You know the funny thing is that most people who have never owned a Vepr constantly bitch about the furniture, the slant cut receiver, and say "It doesn't even look like an AK". But most people who own one become a fanatic and no other AK can take it's place. They shoot better, have better quality, better ergonomics and IMO look a hell of alot better than all the generic AKs out there. Also, since they aren't traditional, there's no "You can't put that on there, it wasn't issued in 1954 Russia. The Vepr is a weapon. Plain and simple.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I guess people dont talk bad about people putting stuff on VEPRs cause they think they were ugly to start with....I think they are ssuuuwwweeeeeettt! and I dont even notice the weight. But then agin, when I pick up a "little" ak the feel sooo light!

Cheese the .308 veprs are a different beast. Once you buy one, You will HAVE to get a scope and cheekrest for it.....and then you will start thinking about muzzle breaks and stuff like that.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I can?t believe people actually WANT their guns to be covered in grossness wood. This is the 21st century right? They don?t like VEPRs because it doesn?t look like a look-what-I-found-buried-in-Iraq AK? ewwwwwwwwwww. I want the newest hotness, whatever that may be. I almost didn?t buy my glock because they were selling me the model that was in the case. Ya know the one that previous potential buyers TOUCHED. OMG, I almost hand an aneurism when they told me I would be getting that one, and not some brand new vacuum sealed one from the back.

EDIT: just realized my post might be considered a hijack. my bad. Hijack over.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
AtlAK said:
I can?t believe people actually WANT their guns to be covered in grossness wood. This is the 21st century right? They don?t like VEPRs because it doesn?t look like a look-what-I-found-buried-in-Iraq AK? ewwwwwwwwwww. I want the newest hotness, whatever that may be. I almost didn?t buy my glock because they were selling me the model that was in the case. Ya know the one that previous potential buyers TOUCHED. OMG, I almost hand an aneurism when they told me I would be getting that one, and not some brand new vacuum sealed one from the back.

You GA Mafia boys get a new recruit? :grin: :lol:

G

·
SVT said:
AtlAK said:

You GA Mafia boys get a new recruit? :grin: :lol:
Damn right!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Woody, I think that you will not go wrong with a Vepr in any caliber that you choose. I agree with what you said. I also have the same experience in that I have only owned one AK and it is a Vepr in 7.62x39. In fact, I like it so much that I have another on order with RA and when it gets in (god-willing) I will pretty much consider myself done as far as buying any more AK's, although I might be swayed into picking up another Vepr if time and funds permit. Guess that all said and done, when it comes down to it, the Veprs are so good that the only real area left for decision making (and debates) is what caliber you want. Hope that yours ( and mine) gets here soon!!

·
Registered
156 Posts
I love how a wood stocked, milled, slabside mag, circa 1955 AK47 looks.

I love how a plastic stock, stamped, bulgy ribbed mag, 2004 VEPR looks.

I say theres room for both in my house, I truely love them both. I think I love how most production AKs look.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Kalahnikid said:
I love how a wood stocked, milled, slabside mag, circa 1955 AK47 looks.

I love how a plastic stock, stamped, bulgy ribbed mag, 2004 VEPR looks.

I say theres room for both in my house, I truely love them both. I think I love how most production AKs look.
Can't fault you for what you say. Guess that I'd be hard pressed not refuse a brand new '55 milled/wood stocked AK for a good price either if it were offered to me. They are very nice guns.

Now if only I could find one for $200.00. Just a little wishful thinking......... :smile:

G

·
Don't get me wrong, I think traditional AKs are beautiful. I also think an original antique rifle should be preserved in its original state. What I hate is when someone has a new traditional style AK, such as an Arsenal SA series, and people give them hell because they mounted an Eotech on it instead of a Kobra. It's a new rifle, not an antique. I am no fan of cheap add-ons, but I think people should use what ever quality parts make them a better shooter, even if its not a traditional AK accessory. That's why I can't stand hearing people constantly complain about the Vepr not even looking like an AK. I don't care, in fact I prefer the superior ergonomics of the Vepr over the traditional look. I believe it's good to use modern equipment, even if it wasn't produced in some Warsaw Pact country in 1977.

ETA I see alot of people complain about others using non-traditional gear like Aimpoints or Eotechs because they are not "authentic" AK accessories. The funny thing is that several of these people have a traditional AK, but chambered in .223! Talk about non-traditional! I think an AK with modern furniture in 7.62x39 or 5.45x39 is far more authentic than a traditional looking AK chambered in the .223. Now that the Poles are using .223/5.56 AKs with Eotechs, these accessories will no longer be viewed as AR stuff, but now as modern AK stuff. I say use what you like best. On a modern gun, screw tradition. Tradition isn't going to save your ass in a fire-fight.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Heretic!!!!!
I look at it like this...I am not a collector..This is gonna be my main battle rifle....So it should be set up for my while I am in battle........And its the year 2006....I am gonna put good stuff not scopes that look like I should be able to see the rings of mars!

BODYDROPPER OUT

PS I know its the rings of saturn!

·
Registered
84 Posts
BiggerStick47 said:
On a modern gun, screw tradition. Tradition isn't going to save your ass in a fire-fight.

:hail:

yep, that about sums it up. Thats a sig worthy line.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I myself am still waiting on my VEPR K 7.62x39mil from robinson.
I definatley prefer the Vepr because of RPK reciever, the chrome lined barrel, and the stocks are more pleasant than those old beat up wood ones. and in my opinion an all-around better shooter than some of those other surplus aks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts