AK Rifles banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This buttstock has been in this position since I got the rifle, sticking about 1/8" from sitting flush against the rear of the receiver.
No matter what I do, I can't get it farther in, or completely out to refit. I've tried bracing the receiver and hitting the buttstock end with a 12" socket extension, no movement at all. (The holes will need to be filled and redrilled if I get it out.)
Yeah, it's a small thing but it is something I notice every time I see the rifle.
Any suggestions before I just stain that strip?
Wood Rectangle Material property Wood stain Everyday carry
Wood Rectangle Material property Wood stain Everyday carry
Air gun Trigger Wood Material property Rectangle
Wood Rectangle Material property Wood stain Everyday carry Air gun Trigger Wood Material property Rectangle

·
Registered
544 Posts
I would remove it and fit it correctly to the receiver. If you have been hitting it from the inside of the receiver, chances are that you have "mushroomed" the wood a bit and made it stick even worse. Sometimes they will be more cooperative if you tap the butt end with a rubber mallet, just alternate top and bottom to wiggle it loose. If you have a helper, you can have him hold the stock while you're pulling on the receiver and tapping the rear trunnion up and down.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Most likely it is the nose on the second step of the buttstock hitting the back of the rear trunnion. Can't go any further into the receiver. It can be sanded/trimmed to fit properly. The holes are going to need reworked but shouldn't be a problem. Older trunnions have a hole in them and you can put a screwdriver in and pry. Not so here I see. I think that they put in the stock before the shellac is dried. Makes it a bitch to get out. Try a heat gun and make it hot. Soften up that stuff. Might pull loose. Hope that helps. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
See post 3. You will have to file or sand down the part inside the rear trunion that is not allowing full insertion.

I have had more than a couple that I had to use an aluminum dowel rod and a large mallet from inside the rifle to pop the stock off, followed by sandpaper or file to loosen it up a bit. Good idea to have an assistant hold the stock as you try to drive it out, otherwise the resulting missile could ruin your day if it bounces off, say the headlight of your supercar. :D :D :D

I have also heard people saying that lightly tapping it side to side with a rubber mallet to avoid damaging the wood can also aid in dislodging it.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I have also heard people saying that lightly tapping it side to side with a rubber mallet to avoid damaging the wood can also aid in dislodging it.
Tapping it carefully all the way around would probably help if it's stuck in shellac like BigJoe suggested. I usually tap it up and down to make sure I don't flare the top of the receiver, with the first tap from the top to break it loose from the tang on the trunnion.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
I’ve had that issue. Only way I could get it out was slamming it hard with a barrel press out tool, the long type that offsets up and is used inside of the receiver. It damaged the stock..... but it came out.
Have you tried a hard slam into the dirt or on a carpet on top of concrete to try to seat it the last little bit?

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys.
This is by far the tightest fitting stock I've ever dealt with. The thin strip of visible wood is raw wood, no finish on it.
Olle, good point on mushrooming. Didn't think of that.
Back to work...

·
Registered
544 Posts
Olle, good point on mushrooming. Didn't think of that.
I have learned that the hard way. It will almost be wedged in the receiver once you have smacked it hard enough from the inside. If that happens, the "tap-around and pull" procedure is just about the only way to get it out.

·
Registered
In the forest at end of a long dirt road in Ga
338 Posts
Dry heat could possibly slightly shrink the stock while expanding the metal receiver. I’d consider heating the chassis in an oven at low 140-150 degrees for 7 or 8 hours and then try removing the stock with a rubber hammer striking the outside at downward angle holding chassis in left hand and striking with hammer with my right

·
Registered
348 Posts
Remember you want a small gap, if you trim it to fit you risk the edge of the receiver cutting into the stock like a chisel and causing it to chip, so don't eliminate the gap completely.

I would just mask it off carefully and brush a little stain or flat black paint in the gap, it will make it much less noticeable.

If you decide to continue with removal use a hard rubber mallet and strike top and bottom of the stock at the buttplate, eventually it will come out.
Good luck

Reactions: JeepFan and gonogo

·
Registered
181 Posts
It is just astitic and doesn't have any effect on the functionality of the rifle, but it is annoying as hell. Like that ding on your car that nobody sees but you. Me...I'd fix it if possible, but don't stress it. I'd be more concerned about the stock being stuck. You don't say, what kind of rifle is this?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Fu* k and be damned. Went to change a stock on one of my romainian builds and the same shit. Prying didn't work. Finally I used a big rubber hammer and it finally gave up. I fitted it myself so I know it went in OK. Got me to thinking about humidity and swelling. Perhaps moisture is a factor in this bitch won't come out thing. I keep mine in a gun safe with desiccant but it doesn't factor out humidity.??? Just a thought. Big Joe 😎

·
Registered
544 Posts
Fu* k and be damned. Went to change a stock on one of my romainian builds and the same shit. Prying didn't work. Finally I used a big rubber hammer and it finally gave up. I fitted it myself so I know it went in OK. Got me to thinking about humidity and swelling. Perhaps moisture is a factor in this bitch won't come out thing. I keep mine in a gun safe with desiccant but it doesn't factor out humidity.??? Just a thought. Big Joe 😎
The laminate wood appears to be soaked in something, and I suspect that this "something" makes the wood itself sticky. When I fit a stock, I usually scrape with a sharp chisel for the final fine tuning. The shavings feel kinda sticky, almost like rosin powder, and this could be the reason why ever a nicely fitted stock can stick like you-know-what in the receiver.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
If you want to take it out and work it over, that would be best. There's always sharp edges on the stamped metal that can cause fitment issues, too. So I take a file to the inside of the receiver while I'm doing this.
However, if you just want to set the stock in place, I have a neighbor that I'd like to smack in nose w/the butt of a rifle. Swing by one afternoon, maybe we can help each other out.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
544 Posts
If you want to take it out and work it over, that would be best. There's always sharp edges on the stamped metal that can cause fitment issues, too. So I take a file to the inside of the receiver while I'm doing this.
However, if you just want to set the stock in place, I have a neighbor that I'd like to smack in nose w/the butt of a rifle. Swing by one afternoon, maybe we can help each other out.
Thanks in advance.
Good advice. It's pretty aggravating when a sharp edge on the receiver pulls a shaving of wood that prevents the stock from going all the way in, so rounding off the inner edge of the receiver a bit will help a lot. You can also use a sharp chisel to square off the corners that butt up to the receiver, there is often crud and finish build-up that need to be removed to make the stock flush with the receiver.

Or you can just pound the stock in there with a large rubber mallet to get that authentic, Romanian fit. :p

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Lance, I had the same problem with my '70. I beat it with an old Firebird Gibson (same vintage) and it came right out. NOT. Saw your avatar. What's up? Did you take it out, or just dress it up? From the advice, either works.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Leave it !. You need a gap there. Its not supposed to be tight up against the receiver. By the time you pound it off and fit it a 32nd closer to the receiver your screw holes will be slightly off and not worth the hassle trying to fill them and redrill.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts