AK Rifles banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK......I finally got a wood buttstock refinished and got rid of the appallingly hideous "boat oar" that Century stabbed into the heart of my AK74.

I learned a lot, like measure the OD of any part that fits inside the receiver and file down if needed BEFORE staining and sealing. I bought a Bulgy wood set from Apex, and figured "hey-parts is parts". But. the width of the stub on the buttstock needed to be cut down about .010in to match the width on the boat oar, and the lower handguard looks like it will need to have the height reduced on the part which slides up inside the receiver (I'm sure there is a much more technically proper name for this, but hey, I'm tryin').

I also learned that the two phillips head(??????) screws Century used to secure the buttstock to the receiver tang are too small in diameter to use on the wood buttstock. Where can I get the proper screws so that I can start getting this rifle back together and maybe actually SHOOT it?

· Registered
222 Posts
Yep, to have good fitting wood it is often necessary to do some fitting to the particular rifle. It's best to always do a trial fit and make any adjustments before doing any cosmetic work.

I've seen stock screws at several online vendors, but can't remember where specifically. Maybe try Apex?

Or, it may just be that the holes in your new wood is oversized due to wear or damage. If so you can just fill them and redrill to the proper size for your screws. There are lots of ways of doing this but the best is probably to epoxy in an appropriately sized hardwood dowel to completely fill the hole, then just trim, sand smooth, and drill for the correct size. I use Brownells Acraglas for stock repairs but other epoxies will work also. Just don't use a glue that is sensitive to water or moisture.

· Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ordered a set from Apex. Hopefully they'll work without too much fuss.

Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.