AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone think it’s worth it to buy steel case in bulk right now prices a up 2x the normal amount. Just bought my first ak (mak90 for the curious, no I didn’t get a good deal) and I’m trying to get familiar with it but ammo is just so expensive lately

·
Registered
680 Posts
i run steel case through mine without a second thought , its coated to not to wear metal on metal , go for it

·
Registered
680 Posts
i should add , a rifle with no ammo is just a very expensive club , so buy some for fun , and some to keep some mags loaded

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have 3 mags worth of the nosler varmagedon that I don’t want to burn up plinking. Im guess I’m really wondering where all the surplus ammo is. A couple years ago when I had a sks I could find steel case surplus .19c a round. I figured covid ruined that a bit but I guess I assume there’s still a lot of surplus running around but I just don’t know where to look

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Be on the lookout. We all know everything is pricey now, but a couple weeks ago this was .31/round.

If I had very little, I'd bite the bullet (pun intended) and get 500 rounds even if it was .40-.50/round. Then I'd have some time to look for better deals.

·
Registered
680 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
AKs are made to shoot steel cased ammo. Be sure to clean the lacquer/polymer from the chamber from time to time.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Blows my mind that’s what prices are like now. I’m going to have to do some more searching around, maybe I can find a old ammo crate lot. I’ll post it if I find one but only after I take my bit from it😅

·
Registered
92 Posts
Blows my mind that’s what prices are like now. I’m going to have to do some more searching around, maybe I can find a old ammo crate lot. I’ll post it if I find one but only after I take my bit from it
The cheapest I've seen is with corrosive primers and even THAT'S pricey.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Anyone think it’s worth it to buy steel case in bulk right now prices a up 2x the normal amount. Just bought my first ak (mak90 for the curious, no I didn’t get a good deal) and I’m trying to get familiar with it but ammo is just so expensive lately
Don't know what to tell you man, this is just flat out a bad time to be getting started on a new caliber, regardless of what you're feeding.

If you want a stash of ammo right now you just gotta bite the bullet and pay up. Or not but it and wait for availability and prices to improve.

·
Registered
92 Posts
If I were in your shoes, I'd buy only what I need right now and wait for ammo prices to go back down.
I wouldn't hold my breath on ammo prices going down. I'm betting it may go down a little after the 2022 elections, maybe, but not to pre-Covid, pre-Biden levels.

During the Great Ammo Drought of 2017, 7.62x39 was about the only rifle ammo still plentiful along with the rifles that shot it.

·
Registered
6,516 Posts
Ammo prices will certainly go down. The cost to manufacture hasn't gone up much at all. This is all about demand. Once people start feeling comfortable about their stashes and feel less threatened (2 years from now when the Republicans win back the House), demand will fall along with prices.

·
Registered
680 Posts
if i was in your position , $600 for 1k rds wouldnt stop me

1 - 20 of 28 Posts