AK Rifles banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am considering putting together a clone of the Bulgarian AKS 74 M1a1 and remember reading that the Bulgarian 7.62 trunion could be used if the 5.56x45 trunion wasn't available. K-var lists acouple of them, and was wondering which one would work best. Also, i have couple extra Bulgy 5.45 trunions. could i use the 5.45 trunnion instead? i know it is a 22mm instead of the 23mm of the 5.56/ 7.62 ( i can always turn the barrel 22mm), or are the locking lug recesses different on the 5.45 to?

thanks,
advntrjnky

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have an early Bulgarian AK74 M1A1 in 223.My barrel is 22mm.I understand the newer barrels are 23mm.You could always turn down the barrel to fit a 5.45 trunnion.The bullet guide is different.The front magazine slot is slightly different.The 223 bolt lugs are like a 7.62 bolt but the 223 barrel goes farther in the trunnion.The bullet guide is smoth and clears the bolt.The 5.45 bullet guide has a raised area in the center and this hits the 223 bolt.The Chinese 223 AK's I don;t believe use a bullet guide.The casting numbers are different on my Bulfarian 5.45 trunnion and my 223 trunnion.They were both bought new from K-var with the bullet guides installed.One is marked "23" and the other is marked "24" but I don't rememver which is which.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info. after i get a barrel and bolt i'll decide which trunion i want to use(or is available).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts