AK Rifles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! So let's get down to business. I just recently picked up a Century Arms Bulgarian AK-74 variant. (Yes, yes, I know CAI isn't exactly known for their quality and what not, but my AK is actually very well put together and I'm happy with it) Anyway, it came with all matching dark brown painted wooden furniture. Now, I am fairly new to the AK world, but from what I've seen, Bulgarian 74s either had synthetic or blonde stained furniture. I'm not seeing too many examples of brown painted furniture out there. My question is, did the Bulgarians also paint the stock sets brown? Or was this something Century did to make their rifles look better since they assemble these rifles from non matched kits.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok. Yeah, I wasn't sure if it was normal or not since I haven't seen too many pictures of them. But I don't mind it, looks a lot better than some of the mixed matched sets out there, in my opinion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I figured that could be an explanation. But like I said, it doesn't look bad. Anyway, thanks for the quick answer!

·
Technical Advisor
15,848 Posts
Once in awhile you find a kit with matching light to medium colored blonde or Amber wood. The Shellac finish was Amber too. I found a couple at ORF back in the day. I think K-VAR has some painted ones that were a nicer plum/brown vs the more common dark brown stocked kits.
But at the arsenal/factory I do not think matching furniture was a priority.
Some of the uppers were laminate vs hardwood.

·
Registered
6,516 Posts
I'm pretty sure the Bulgarian buttstocks and lower handguards are made from different types of wood. I think I remember reading that the buttstocks are beech and the handguards are walnut.

·
Technical Advisor
15,848 Posts
An AK74 kit I sold in 2012. I picked it and others from ORF. The wood was a pretty good match and in good condition.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts