AK Rifles banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to stock up on some mags, and I want the most reliable/durable ones I can get so I (ideally) won't have to replace them. I've heard nothing but good things about new Bulgarian steel mags and new Bulgarian waffle mags. Waffle mags are 2x the price as steel mags... so I can only get 1/2 as many.

How do they compare in durability, reliability, and weight while loaded? Which one do you like better, and why? I understand the new Bulgarian steel mags have plastic followers, but I haven't read a whole lot about that.

· Registered
1,809 Posts
The Bulgy waffles are my favorite mags. I haven't abused mine, but they seem as durable as the steels--just weigh less and are aren't as likely to rust or dent. They are equally reliable.

However, if you are stocking up for SHTF then steel mags are just fine. As you said, you can buy a lot more of them.

· Banned
4,298 Posts
Kilryth said:
Half and half?? :(

How hard is it to dent the steel ones anyway? It seems pretty difficult.

Steel, hardly, common E.Euro mags are just thin metal, some stronger than others but you can dent them, hell you can take your thumb w/pressure and indent a nice size mark if you choose.

I agree w/the above that you should have a mixture, I sold most if not all of my steelies to go w/waffles on the other hand...

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
fourtfourmag said:
Kilryth said:
Half and half?? :(

How hard is it to dent the steel ones anyway? It seems pretty difficult.

Steel, hardly, common E.Euro mags are just thin metal, some stronger than others but you can dent them, hell you can take your thumb w/pressure and indent a nice size mark if you choose.

I agree w/the above that you should have a mixture, I sold most if not all of my steelies to go w/waffles on the other hand...

Thanks 44! It is good to hear feedback like this. The more I look at waffles, the more practical they seem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.