AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought several waffles back in the day, couldn't have been more than $15 each. At a gun show I bought 2 30rd Bulgarian circle 10's and 2 20rd Hungarian 20rd tanker mags for $25....those days are GONE. The circle 10 bulgarians are the only mags I had that I felt were real quality. I have had hit and miss luck on metal Yugo with the bolt hold back follow...and terrible luck on 40rd metal mags I have bought off of here.

Well I'm about to pull the trigger on a milled arsenal and I was wanting to stock up on mags....what the hell happened. I'm bidding on gunbroker and 40rders are bringing 60-90?? 30rders $40-50?

I understand supply and demand, but this is crazy! I am pretty pissed I missed the boat on these. I want 5-6 40rd waffles and 4 30rd waffles to fit on a vest.

:(

I missed the boat on PSL's too. I remember seeing one for $499 and not pulling the trigger....now they are OVER A GRAND!.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
I dunno dude, i buy THE CHEAPEST surplus steel mags i can find. Never had a problem. I dont bother with the Yugo BHO mags. Kinda useless when it only works while the mag is in

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Elliot308 said:
Greed happened.
PLUS the lack of quality competition.

Hopefully the new metal lined PMAG will solve the problem and force prices of Circle 10's back to reality levels.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
What kind of bad luck have you had with mags other then the Bulgys ?

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
I posted a link in the Magazine section for 12.99 Polish surplus mags, that is the cheapest I have seen NEW or USED surplus mags in over a year.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just love the waffle mags. Fit in the mag pouch perfectly. Don't slide out. They fit very tight in all my magwells, no wobble. Never had one lick of problems from them.

I love metal mags, just seems like I get them with surface rust. I like em to be clean!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
If you're having function problems with surplus steel mags in good shape then the problem is the rifle. I have steel mags of all varieties and have never had a problem.

Nathan

·
Premium Member
5,000 Posts
Hawk45 said:
Elliot308 said:
Greed happened.

Hopefully the new metal lined PMAG will solve the problem and force prices of Circle 10's back to reality levels.
Even if they don't. I say eff them I'm buying American. I really don't care if circle tens are 15 and pmags are 20. I don't forget the kind of :bullshit: k-var has been pulling. Still, I'm waiting to see if the steel reinforced actually come to market. Right now its vaporware. I hope pmag really does it. I'd love the compliance parts and a light weight quality us mag.

·
Registered
49 Posts
neinLG said:
Hawk45 said:
Elliot308 said:
Greed happened.

Even if they don't. I say eff them I'm buying American. I really don't care if circle tens are 15 and pmags are 20. I don't forget the kind of :bullshit: k-var has been pulling. Still, I'm waiting to see if the steel reinforced actually come to market. Right now its vaporware. I hope pmag really does it. I'd love the compliance parts and a light weight quality us mag.
We need another Chief Thunder! :hail:

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Around 2002-2003, K-Var used to sell 30 round waffles for under $9 each, and you could get a small discount if you were a member of the migeta forum or something. Those were the days, although their shipping was high even back then.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Elliot308 said:
Greed happened.

Agreed 100%. I've seen this coming and commented on it for years. The same thing happened to the WWII firearms. Every hobby seems to be ruined once the money (which breeds/includes arrogance) shows up. Just the other day, some people were asking a guy I grew up with about his reproduction FG42 he just got....specifically how much it cost. Instead of being humble about it and spreading some good cheer, his answer was "More than you can afford." Asshattery like that is why I dumped out of WWII firearms. It breaks my heart to see the same thing beginning to happen with Combloc stuff. This forum is one of the last bastions for the HOBBY instead of the MONEY.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
SwannyJ said:
Around 2002-2003, K-Var used to sell 30 round waffles for under $9 each, and you could get a small discount if you were a member of the migeta forum or something. Those were the days, although their shipping was high even back then.
Yep, I remember ordering a pile of them for around (IIRC) $7-$8 each. Some 40 rounders showed up around that time, but they were significantly more expensive (don't recall, but I believe around $25 each) so I only managed to pick up a couple.

Screw it. We all knew that prices would go up as more people became interested in exercising their rights. Higher prices are much better than bans on importation / transfer / possession. I'll take that trade-off.

·
Super Moderator
10,292 Posts
coopmandu said:
We need another Chief Thunder! :hail:
So long as K-VAR has an exclusivity import agreement with Arsenal of Bulgaria, there will never be another Chief Thunder.

·
Super Moderator
10,292 Posts
heartbreakridge01 said:
Who is chief thunder??
It was the handle name of KEITH BYRON BARANSKI. In the late 1990's and early 2000's, he imported massive amounts of AK kits (mainly Krinks that sold for around $200) and Bulgarian Circle 10 mags to included waffles and 5.56 waffle mags that sold for dirt cheap prices. So much was imported and sold by him, that K-VAR actually felt the pinch and lowered their prices to compete.

In 2002, Keith Baranski was busted by the ATF for colluding with a few local police chiefs to sign off on letter heads to allow import of class III dealer samples by giving them a free dealer sample. I have heard rumors that it ran into over 300+ samples. He was given 5 years in the Federal Pen and was released in 2007. There is some who argue it was a setup of Keith and others who say he was guilty as charged. Last I heard, Keith was trying to sue the government over this but have not heard in a couple of years where if anywhere he is with that.

When Keith got busted, he left quite a few people in a lurch with no product for orders placed as much of his stock and assets were seized. Until then, he had favorable reviews.

During the late 1990's, in addition to K-VAR, Global Trades and Keith Baranski were importing from Arsenal of Bulgaria and there was competition. Eventually, K-VAR got and exclusivity agreement with Arsenal of Bulgaria to import and has a monopoly on selling Arsenal of Bulgaria items.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Hootbro said:
heartbreakridge01 said:
Who is chief thunder??
It was the handle name of KEITH BYRON BARANSKI. In the late 1990's and early 2000's, he imported massive amounts of AK kits (mainly Krinks that sold for around $200) and Bulgarian Circle 10 mags to included waffles and 5.56 waffle mags that sold for dirt cheap prices. So much was imported and sold by him, that K-VAR actually felt the pinch and lowered their prices to compete.

In 2002, Keith Baranski was busted by the ATF for colluding with a few local police chiefs to sign off on letter heads to allow import of class III dealer samples by giving them a free dealer sample. I have heard rumors that it ran into over 300+ samples. He was given 5 years in the Federal Pen and was released in 2007. There is some who argue it was a setup of Keith and others who say he was guilty as charged. Last I heard, Keith was trying to sue the government over this but have not heard in a couple of years where if anywhere he is with that.

When Keith got busted, he left quite a few people in a lurch with no product for orders placed as much of his stock and assets were seized. Until then, he had favorable reviews.

During the late 1990's, in addition to K-VAR, Global Trades and Keith Baranski were importing from Arsenal of Bulgaria and there was competition. Eventually, K-VAR got and exclusivity agreement with Arsenal of Bulgaria to import and has a monopoly on selling Arsenal of Bulgaria items.
Interesting, does that include parts kits also?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts