AK Rifles banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've never seen a Bulgarian version of the Russian SVD. Anybody got a clue as to why Arsenal never produced one?

Anybody know what Bulgarian rifle(s) Bulgarian military snipers are using? My guess would be an accurate .308 NATO rifle produced by another county, but that's just a guess.

·
Registered
6,438 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
I have seen a ((10)) marked SVD. 1987 manufacture. It was captured in Iraq, another member here took numerous detailed photos. No idea if it was an Izhmash knock down kit the way the really early Bulgarian AKs were or something completely produced there.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Modern equipment of the Bulgarian land forces - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sniper rifles

• Dragunov 7.62x54 sniper rifle (local production)
  • H&K MSG90A1 7.62x51 sniper rifle (Special Forces)
  • H&K PSG-1A1 7.62x51 sniper rifle (Military Police)
  • Blaser R93 Tactical sniper rifle (Special Forces, SOBT)
  • Barrett M82 12.7x99 sniper rifle (SOBT)
Bulgaria never made SVDs, so Wikipedia is wrong.
Yeah, I saw that Wiki page, but the flags next to each item show the country of the weapon, and the Draganov shows a Russian flag.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I have seen a ((10)) marked SVD. 1987 manufacture. It was captured in Iraq, another member here took numerous detailed photos. No idea if it was an Izhmash knock down kit the way the really early Bulgarian AKs were or something completely produced there.
That's interesting. I know that some of the early original Type 3's had dual Arsenal marks, but how an SVD came to have a single Factory 10 mark is beyond me. I'm guessing the rifles they used were rifles were the one's mentioned on Wikipedia.

Its just odd that Arsenal would build such high quality AK's of practically every flavor, but never do their own Draganov. Maybe they just accepted the fact that an SVD would never be accurate enough to do real precision work.....sub MOA

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I'm seeing that Hungary and Bulgaria made SVD's and the same for Poland, why is it not a surprise to anyone?

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
Bulgaria is known to put double circle 10 on Russian guns, the Molot RPK-74s and the Russian RPDs that came into the US for example.

·
Registered
781 Posts
It seems like tooling up for an SVD, especially the receiver, would be a lot more work than for different flavor AKs, of which, orders of magnitudes more would be made. Got a link to the pics from Iraq?

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
I'm seeing that Hungary and Bulgaria made SVD's and the same for Poland, why is it not a surprise to anyone?
Polish Army SVDs are Russian, though they did experiment with a moderized version of their own.. But still based on Russian guns. Czechs also use Russian SVDs, as did the E.Germans.

Its the same reason that very few Warsaw Pact nations built RPKs; The amount of SVDs/RPK types required did not justify the costs to produce them.

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
yeah cost not justified when soviet unions favorite give give give ally is Bulgaria. and after 79 or so small countries production might not be able to compete with Chinese priced svd guns also so exports have less sales if they do get assy lines up and running cost efficiently I can see that I guess. makes sense. Iraq was kind of rouge when it comes to the svd variant they geared up to produce maybe because they had the whole arab world to sell to and it would create independence from outside sources might be the reason they tried then. ive never heard this explanation as to why more places didn't make svd rifles. it seems to make sense.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts