AK Rifles banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I am new to the forums and recently just picked up a really nice Arsenal SLR101s and have a few questions I need answered. There is not a lot of information out there on the Arsenal single-stack AK's as compared to the WASR's and others.

1. If I have the magwell milled out will I encounter feeding problems due to the size/shape of the bolt? If I do encounter feeding problems is it as simple as buying a standard bolt to fix the problem?

2. My rifle has the thumbhole (ugly) stock and I want to put a traditional AK stock on it BUT it is a milled receiver AND only has one tang (upper) so I am a little perplexed as all of the type 2 milled receiver stocks I have found have a cutout for both an upper and a lower tang. What do I do to get a standard (wood) stock? Where should I look?

3. Were there ever single-stack mags larger than 10 rounds manufactured? I am thinking of getting the magwell milled out but if I can locate some twenty-rounders I am just going to leave it as-is.

4. Does anyone have any experience with Two-Rivers arms? I called them today and they said they will be happy to mill the magwell on the Arsenal to accept standard AK mags BUT I am a bit nervous sending the rifle off too them without knowing if they do quality work.....

ANY input any of you AK veterans can give to a newbie like me would be much appreciated. I am a fairly well-seasoned gun owner and shooter but I am just now starting to dive into the AK world which I have purposely avoided over the years because of the huge variation in manufacturers, models, countries, parts, etc.....

·
Super Moderator
7,968 Posts
Welcome to the forum, these are pretty straightforward questions, I'll attempt some answers, provided in bold within your message.

Hello everyone I am new to the forums and recently just picked up a really nice Arsenal SLR101s and have a few questions I need answered. There is not a lot of information out there on the Arsenal single-stack AK's as compared to the WASR's and others.

1. If I have the magwell milled out will I encounter feeding problems due to the size/shape of the bolt? If I do encounter feeding problems is it as simple as buying a standard bolt to fix the problem? No problems with the Arsenal equipment, no non-standard bolts.
2. My rifle has the thumbhole (ugly) stock and I want to put a traditional AK stock on it BUT it is a milled receiver AND only has one tang (upper) so I am a little perplexed as all of the type 2 milled receiver stocks I have found have a cutout for both an upper and a lower tang. What do I do to get a standard (wood) stock? Where should I look?
Better, I think, to add the lower tang and use a standard stock.
3. Were there ever single-stack mags larger than 10 rounds manufactured? I am thinking of getting the magwell milled out but if I can locate some twenty-rounders I am just going to leave it as-is.
To my knowledge, there were no single stack mags larger than 10rds. If they do exist, they are very uncommon.
4. Does anyone have any experience with Two-Rivers arms? I called them today and they said they will be happy to mill the magwell on the Arsenal to accept standard AK mags BUT I am a bit nervous sending the rifle off too them without knowing if they do quality work.....
They do great work, and would be very capable of milling out the mag well, and adding the lower tang for a stock.
ANY input any of you AK veterans can give to a newbie like me would be much appreciated. I am a fairly well-seasoned gun owner and shooter but I am just now starting to dive into the AK world which I have purposely avoided over the years because of the huge variation in manufacturers, models, countries, parts, etc.....

Reactions: Chad and otus

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AZAK-

Thank you very much for your input on my post I really appreciate the straight-forward answers and you pretty much confirmed for me what I was already thinking but I just wasn't sure. I think I am going to go ahead and have Two-Rivers do the milling and add a lower tang to the receiver for me. Once completed I should have a pretty nice AK. I look forward to shooting the thing and enjoying it, seems to be a damn solid rifle!
The only other AK I have ever owned is a WASR-10 and while it looked halfway decent it was a rattle-trap for sure, next to this Arsenal there is absolutely NO comparison between then two in terms of quality and craftsmanship. Thanks again, have a good one!

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Replied in your other thread but.....

Two Rivers is a member here. The owner is a Steve Russell, an Oklahoma Congressman and retired Lt. Col. US Army.

While I have never used them I also never saw an unhappy customer and their builds always look fantastic

·
Registered
6,331 Posts
+1 to everything AZAK said. Two Rivers Arms is great. They have built several AK's for me. Have them mill out the magazine well and add a lower tang. You'll end up with a super sweet AK with a real Bulgarian milled receiver.

BTW, Steve Russell is a former congressman. Hopefully he'll run again so that he can win back OK-5.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts