AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a mint condition matching # Bulgarian AK-74 kit that includes a matching # bayonet. My question is: when did the Bulgarians switch from bakelite bayonets to the newer style polymer ones? And, what type of triangle side folder would be period correct for this build? Here are a couple of pics:

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I received brand new in the wrap black furniture. I have only seen the bakelite bayonets with wood furniture, so seeing this kit with a bakelite and black furniture threw me off.

What about the triangle folding stock? Would it be Bulgarian style (straight struts, ribbed butt) or more so Tula (rolled and ribbed)?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So would the black polymer furniture be 'correct' with the bakelite bayonet? Or, would wood be a the right option?

If someone can chime in on what year the Bulgarians actually started producing their own triangle folder, that would be very helpful as well.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I have a matching code 30 AKS-74 that has black plastic, a black bayo, and a Tula triangle folder and two-rivet feed ramp. I think you'd be safe with any 4.5mm triangle folder. They really seemed to mix and match the parts.
Is your code 30 AKS prefixed BД?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bump. Let's get this mystery solved.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
That is a very nice looking kit. If I had any money left I would have already tried to buy it from you.

I can't help with your bayonet question though. I am not sure there wasn't a long period of overlap.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am a big fan of bakelite and when I saw this kit had a matching # bayonet, I just had to have it.

The dilemma now is what furniture to dress it in and if I should have it as a fixed stock or triangle folder.

·
Super Moderator
13,774 Posts
Ahhh crap. I seen the production dates for ak74s not long ago and cant figure out where i seen them. Ill see if i can find them. It may not tell you when they started but it will at least narrow it down.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I previously decoded this kit to be from 1990. So what would be correct furniture for it?

Did the triangle side folding stocks come with wood hand guards or plum during that time period?

·
Super Moderator
13,774 Posts
I previously decoded this kit to be from 1990. So what would be correct furniture for it?

Did the triangle side folding stocks come with wood hand guards or plum during that time period?
From what i recall it would be poly. Somewhere around 86-87 is when they switched from wood to poly with some being built with wood until they were used up. By 1990, it would have been all poly.

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
For what its worth, I have emailed Arsenal of Bulgaria twice, years apart.

They deny that its possible to tell the year of manufacture from the serial number.

Also, I have photos of Bulgarian AK74s, with the same batch code of 31. Between them, they have all different stock types. Natural wood, painted wood, plum, and black plastic... So there does not seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.

I would imagine that the same goes for bayonets. They had the bakelite, black plastic, as well as E.German bayonets issued with rifles.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the info!

I'm leaning towards going with plum hand guards, salmon PG, and a triangle folding stock.

So, do I use a Bulgarian folding stock or was it possible that the Bulgarians still had leftover Russian parts and I can get away with using an Izzy stock with straight struts and smooth buttstock?

·
Super Moderator
7,968 Posts
Yes you can, absolutely. I have a '91 Bulgarian AKS74 kit that includes a buttstock with straight arms and a smooth buttplate. Its still on the original stub, so it wasn't a matter of another buttstock being substituted for the original. You'll find a mix of Soviet/Russian and Bulgarian folding stocks used on Bulgarian rifle production.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well it's a good thing I grabbed a bunch of Russian triangle assemblies then! I guess I'll be going with the triangle folding stock. :mrgreen:

·
Super Moderator
7,968 Posts
Love that classic folding triangle look.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Now that we're on the topic of Bulgarian furniture variations, did the Bulgarians ever use Russian style laminated hand guards on their AK-74?

This whole thread is starting to unravel and create more mysteries... I'm excited to learn something new!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts