AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been building cases for the AK rifle and have had a number of local people interested so I thought I might "expand" to see if there is any market for these types of gun-cases.

I am a traditionalist and so I wanted to mimic the Military crate appearance and try to keep it as compact as Possible, at least in this version.

Though I know it is a suicide mission I thought I would ask for input by the very people who might have an interest in these cases.

Price is always the tuff part because we all know we can buy a nylon "tactical case" for like $25. and yet the material alone to make these exceed that.

I have been listing these for $119.00 but to be honest, not sure there is enough "profit" to even make it worth it, unless I was making a steady number of them.

Solid wood planed down to appropriate thickness.

Corners are BOX JOINTED. Wood Plywood Hardwood Rectangle Wood stain

Two specific compartments will hold 2 mags each or Bulk ammo, etc.

Each case will come with actual Soviet-era postcard commemorating the USSR Military. (This is just one example)

Painted in the Soviet military green.

Thoughts?
Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Air gun Wood Wood stain Wood Plywood Furniture Table Hardwood

·
Premium Member
13,774 Posts
I like it. I like it a lot.

Not all of own Russian AKs. It would be nice if you could offer the case in other countries colors or postcards?

·
Premium Member
13,586 Posts
That looks great and I like the hardware you incorporated. AK47 with maybe the arsenal named as well. I like the concept and would be interested....pretty cool product!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That looks great and I like the hardware you incorporated. AK47 with maybe the arsenal named as well. I like the concept and would be interested....pretty cool product!
At the moment I have the one pictured and one stenciled AK-74 ready to go. I will be trying different ideas, the ARSENAL stencil is a idea worth looking into as they are so popular.

No doubt some people will just repaint them in the scheme they want.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Man, really cool. Really first rate work.

Just a little constructive criticism? And just my opinion of course, but something about the clasps and handles don't sing to me. Maybe if they were painted the same green as the box? Also, maybe more Cyrillic and a smaller star on the top? Anyway, opinions are like assholes. Again, very impressive work.

·
Registered
168 Posts
That is super amazing work. Very very cool. I'm limited on space so it all goes in the safe. That is super cool though!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Man, really cool. Really first rate work.

Just a little constructive criticism? And just my opinion of course, but something about the clasps and handles don't sing to me. Maybe if they were painted the same green as the box? Also, maybe more Cyrillic and a smaller star on the top? Anyway, opinions are like assholes. Again, very impressive work.
No, I appreciate your honest thoughts, I thought of doing the next one with black hardware, but I have some people who seem to like the metal look. Wow it would be so much easier to finish if the hardware was painted green also, but I think it would chip off and I though I would get a complaint on that. But it would match the -Military crate- theme more accurately.

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
I made my own AK crate, meaning one to transport the entire collection. It was tough finding the appropriate military grade fasteners. If I remember right they were made in England and rather than letting me buy such a small amount they gave them to me along with some attitude for bothering them for such a small order

·
Registered
265 Posts
I saw a guy at the range one time with a homemade crate on wheels that held 4 AK's , stacked side by side , and storage for ammo and mags at the bottom to keep the weight balanced , think of a large flat box with wheels at the bottom kinda looked like a hand truck from far away....was totally bad ass

·
Registered
242 Posts
You're a much better carpenter than I. That's for sure. I love your work.

Things I would change for next time: I'm not sold on that color and the big AK logo. I'd recommend going with a flat olive drab or simply leave it natural. Skip the giant AK logo as nobody wants to show up at a range advertising what they've got inside. It's far cooler to show up with something that looks more like a beat up ammo crate with a jewel of a rifle inside. As for the hardware, I don't like the shiny silver. If you could find something in black or perhaps a dull brass, that would be better. Once again, I would be thinking "Ammo Crate". Who knows, maybe you can even buy hardware from old ammo crates or similar boxes.

Again... not to criticize your work - as you are a pro, not a wannabe carpenter like me.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
Real weapons crates are made well, but not so pretty as that. It reminds me too much of those fantasy "violin cases" that some guys fuss over for their Thompsons.

I have a Czech crate for vz.58s that held 10 rifles. You might consider painting over the hinges and clasps for a more military look. They almost always leave the interiors bare wood with this kind of thing, too, as you've done with yours. I like these heavy duty handles, too. Might could scale them down for a one-rifle case?

Any stampings should be plain. Inside the lid is better than on top. This is marked "she 59" for the manufacturing date.

The last packing list is still tacked to the inside of the lid. The "vz.58V" is the folding version.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for your input. One of the obstacles to making this smaller version of a small portable case which mimics (but not copies) the crate look is to bring everything down to scale, hardware, thickness of wood. If the case is too big, too heavy, it does not serve the purpose of a carry case, rather than a stationary storage case.

A number of people do seem to prefer darker hardware, that is something I will check into.

I also too a little inspiration from this case I found which doubles as a "presentation" device.
Antique Wood Rectangle
IMO this case would not be practical as a case, though it looks great in display.

Note the full 3/4" thick wood (Mine is scaled down a bit) and the latches which are not really crate-like at all.
Love the panoramic photo in B&W.

Real weapons crates are made well, but not so pretty as that. It reminds me too much of those fantasy "violin cases" that some guys fuss over for their Thompsons.

I have a Czech crate for vz.58s that held 10 rifles. You might consider painting over the hinges and clasps for a more military look. They almost always leave the interiors bare wood with this kind of thing, too, as you've done with yours. I like these heavy duty handles, too. Might could scale them down for a one-rifle case?

Any stampings should be plain. Inside the lid is better than on top. This is marked "she 59" for the manufacturing date.

The last packing list is still tacked to the inside of the lid. The "vz.58V" is the folding version.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Great work !! Though I'd suggest getting stencils made up for the various countries that manufacture the AK. Also downsizing the lettering a bit and including the factory ID mark /66\ for Chinese, ((10)) for Bulgarian, etc.

·
Banned
489 Posts
Since you asked for input,

cool idea, great craftsmanship. However the stenciling is a bit cheesy. Not trying to be a dick. More of an authentic military look would be nice, Cyrillic stamps like on an ammo tin would make your case look bad ass. No one would be the wiser.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I tried to locate just such stencils with no luck.
Another thought I had was to stamp out a metal plate and attach that.
Here is a 74 version with no star.
Green Grass Plant Vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Excellent workmanship...if your really thinking about retailing them maybe offer them out unfinished w/o hardware to save time and/or money...again very nice...

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
This is first rate stuff. I'd kill for one of these!!! I was just talking to my friend about how I really wish I had a case for my AKSU that incorporated accessories. I love how there is even a section for ammo. I really hope you start offering these, I'd definitely be a buyer. Especially if there was an AKSU short one. Awesome work :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts