AK Rifles banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I've been wanting a Russian AKM clone for awhile now. So I'm thinking about getting a Romanian G kit to start a clone build. I've been looking through Stottman's AKM thread, and the 1966 Tula AKM47 is the one that really caught my interest (don't ask me why). So my question is this:

What parts would I need to find/scrounge/beg to get a good clone of the rifle pictured below? (pictures taken from Stottman's thread, hosted by me so no bandwidth stealing. I'll take them down if Stottman requests)

Obviously I would need the furnature and trunion markings and such. But what else is different between the AKM and the Romy G? Gas block? FSB? etc etc. Also, where can I find the parts? Just search the marketplace? Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
If you are real anal, the first thing that comes to mind is a Tula rear sight leaf. It has the distincive Tula font for the "4". :smile:

You can see the font style on this AKSU sight.

Other than that maybe, someone else can chime in...

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
If you are real anal, the first thing that comes to mind is a Tula rear sight leaf. It has the distincive Tula font for the "4". :smile:

You can see the font style on this AKSU sight.

Other than that maybe, someone else can chime in...

·
Registered
10,188 Posts
The two real distinctive parts that scream out are the rear sight leaf and the flash hider with the flats on the side. .. Also, the receiver is kind of distinct with its huge dimple....

The wood, I still have plenty of the buttstocks...

Honeslty, I dont think the 66 would NOT be a good clone choice, as the flash hider and the receiver dimple would be almost impossible to duplicate.

The NDS-3 economy receiver dimple is a very close match for the 1969 Tula kit, and it uses a standard flash hider.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stottman said:
The two real distinctive parts that scream out are the rear sight leaf and the flash hider with the flats on the side. .. Also, the receiver is kind of distinct with its huge dimple....

The wood, I still have plenty of the buttstocks...

Honeslty, I dont think the 66 would NOT be a good clone choice, as the flash hider and the receiver dimple would be almost impossible to duplicate.

The NDS-3 economy receiver dimple is a very close match for the 1969 Tula kit, and it uses a standard flash hider.
You think it'd be too hard to maybe just dremel the flat onto a new-made slant break?

I didnt notice about the receiver dimples. I'll take a look at the 1969.

I may have to hit you up on one of those stocks :oops:

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
Blanco, I look forward to your progress and research on this one! Maybe we'll do two of everything. :lol: I need a nice Tula clone for the collection as well.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Exotic-Toys said:
Blanco, I look forward to your progress and research on this one! Maybe we'll do two of everything. :lol: I need a nice Tula clone for the collection as well.
:razz: I should never have gotten into AKs. It's costing WAY too much money. My Krink was $1700, my AK105 is probably gonna be around $1200-1500. And this AKM..I dunno yet. I need to get myself a Romy G kit before it's too late. I'd love to find one without the G...maybe APEX has some.

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
Blanco_Diablo said:
[quote="Exotic-Toys":20ym1ata]Blanco, I look forward to your progress and research on this one! Maybe we'll do two of everything. :lol: I need a nice Tula clone for the collection as well.
:razz: I should never have gotten into AKs. It's costing WAY too much money. My Krink was $1700, my AK105 is probably gonna be around $1200-1500. And this AKM..I dunno yet. I need to get myself a Romy G kit before it's too late. I'd love to find one without the G...maybe APEX has some.[/quote:20ym1ata]

G's can be removed - No problemo...

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Exotic-Toys said:
[quote="Blanco_Diablo":81nxk0z7][quote="Exotic-Toys":81nxk0z7]Blanco, I look forward to your progress and research on this one! Maybe we'll do two of everything. :lol: I need a nice Tula clone for the collection as well.
:razz: I should never have gotten into AKs. It's costing WAY too much money. My Krink was $1700, my AK105 is probably gonna be around $1200-1500. And this AKM..I dunno yet. I need to get myself a Romy G kit before it's too late. I'd love to find one without the G...maybe APEX has some.[/quote:81nxk0z7]

G's can be removed - No problemo...[/quote:81nxk0z7]
Of course, but it'd be nice to have one that doesn't need to be removed :razz:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Ahhhhh, so this is where the funds for that US Army M4 clone all went.:mrgreen:

Stottman,
I hear the Maadi AKM was built on Russian machinery/tooling. What do you think about using a beat MAADI Misr for a Russian AKM Clone?

Is it legal to have the SN on the trunnion re-stamped
with an Izmash triangle/date? Also what are my options to getting the correct slant brake installed on the bbl. with the threading removed?

Regards,
IB

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Blanco- dont forget, the front sight block is somewhat hard to find. Im currently looking for one of the LATE era ones that have the square hole. The ones that come on the romy G kits are perfectly rounded, somewhat ovaled. For me, russian clones NEVER look correct with a romy G FSB.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
IronBalaclava said:
Ahhhhh, so this is where the funds for that US Army M4 clone all went.:mrgreen:

Stottman,
I hear the Maadi AKM was built on Russian machinery/tooling. What do you think about using a beat MAADI Misr for a Russian AKM Clone?

Is it legal to have the SN on the trunnion re-stamped
with an Izmash triangle/date? Also what are my options to getting the correct slant brake installed on the bbl. with the threading removed?

Regards,
IB
LOL yep, you caught me! I'm hoping to finish the M4 this October if I can find a good deal on a 14.5" complete upper at Knob Creek.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Stottman said:
Is the NDS-1 dimple different from that of the NDS-3? I've also been hot to build a Russian AKM clone from the '69-'73 period, and I'm sitting on a couple nice Romy G kits. I was planning on using an NDS-1 receiver, but maybe this isn't the thing to do.

·
Registered
10,188 Posts
Newaza said:
Stottman said:
Is the NDS-1 dimple different from that of the NDS-3? I've also been hot to build a Russian AKM clone from the '69-'73 period, and I'm sitting on a couple nice Romy G kits. I was planning on using an NDS-1 receiver, but maybe this isn't the thing to do.
Yes, there is a difference.. Only reason I bought the NDS-3..

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Stottman said:
Newaza said:
Stottman said:
Yes, there is a difference.. Only reason I bought the NDS-3..
So you're saying that an NDS3 would be more accurate for a Russian AKM clone, even a 1969?

Ya can't get a custom SN for an NDS3 but you can for an NDS1 :neutral:

·
Registered
602 Posts
How are the dimples different? I took a look at the Nodak website, but I couldn't tell a difference. Am I missing something?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts