AK Rifles banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this some where! But Where! any body have any Ideas? Have you tryed it? thanks

·
Registered
556 Posts
I have done this in the past and it held up fine. I then went through a hybrid stage riviting the mag well rivets, trigger guard rivets, and rear rivets, welding only the front two rivet locations to prevent removing the barrel. I now have the 12 ton press and do rivets all the way.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Welded AKs

Heres the last one I did - Polish Tantal on homemade receiver - Welded trunnions front and rear - Screwed on trigger guard. This is the 5th welded AK I've done. All were TIG welded.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Northern said:
Do you think I could weld one up with an arc welder if I used the rod?
If you are careful, it should work. I might try that myself for something different. I cheat on my trigger guards by dremeling of the rcver remnants, trimming the rivets that were installed befor till they fit my flats holes,thae zap them with the arc welder,,,,saves me 5 rivets :grin:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am going to give it a try. I have two parts kits coming, one Romanian and a Polish under folder. Which one do you think I should arc weld
N.E WI

·
Registered
716 Posts
if your a good welder it shouldn't be a problem. i had the idea to make all the receiver pieces flat then weld them up, but my bead isn't clean enough for my tastes, if i had a tig it might be different. just be careful not to fill the trunions up with too much weld, don't use too much heat and like with every 'finish work' project, just GO SLOW and do it right. then, take pics and show us how you did!

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Northern said:
I am going to give it a try. I have two parts kits coming, one Romanian and a Polish under folder. Which one do you think I should arc weld
N.E WI
do the romy,, that way if it messes up some how, its not the pricy kit

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a GT receiver ordered for one and I am eyeing up one of them laser cut flats for a weld job. I am just not sure about welding the harden steel trunions to the sheetmetal. I also like that clean look with no rivets. I am fair arc welder and I am thinking I may have to preheat the trunions so the weld would not fail. This will be my 1st and 2nd build. I now am feeling feverishly

1 - 10 of 10 Posts