AK Rifles banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for opinions on a good bug out vehicle that's actually suitable for day to day use, i.e. getting groceries, a short commute, camping trips, etc. Must fit in a normal parking space and be possible to service at an ordinary mechanic. Diesel or gas, new or used is okay. Looking to spend around 20k, but definitely needs to be below 30k.

I know that the best options are generally some sort of ginormous carbureted, EMP-proof military surplus vehicle that gets about 10 mpg, but I don't currently have the space (or the $100/month for storage) for a vehicle that just sits 99% of the time. What would be a happy medium that would be useful even if the world doesn't end?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
get a 4 door tacoma, v6 and a 6' bed. I have the 5' bed and could use that extra foot. Seems to be popular with low budget combatants around the world. Ilike to think of them as the ak of the truck world just my opinion.

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
Bro you know I know Cars. I can't even imagine how many I have fixed. This is what you need. Hands down. Blends in with the rest of them. You can sleep in it if needed. Go anywhere you need to go. Just find a good one rust free. Stick your money into it. They will also hold their value. In fact they are starting to rise in Value. Just don't let your wife drive it and flip it like my wife did mine. More aftermarket and used parts than you will ever need. Jeep clubs for info and help. Also already a ton of research on survival parts and mods already done . just look them up.

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
so I did the math........32 years........1,664 weeks............average 5 cars a week.........................8,320 cars. Yeah I know a lot about cars. :p

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
My vote is on a V6 Tacoma double cab. I have the 5' bed. I suppose I could have gone for a 6', but I have yet to say "I should have". I guess I haven't needed to sleep in it yet lol.

No shortage of aftermarket options.

Reactions: agentsteve

·
Registered
404 Posts
Ordinary mechanic for me at least mean someone with more knowledge about repairing cars than ordinary driver.
It is different in repaaairing simple 20 - 30 old car or brand new one with a lot of electronics.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that "ordinary mechanic" aint gonna be open if the SHTF so that shouldnt be part of your criteria.
I meant more along the lines of if something breaks during normal times, I can take it to a local mechanic and not have to hope there’s someone who specializes in whatever rare vehicle I have within driving distance.

I do enjoy working on my cars and motorcycle, but until the SHTF, I still have a day job and don’t have the time to do major repairs like suspension work myself.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’m not a huge Jeep expert. Which generation is that?
Bro you know I know Cars. I can't even imagine how many I have fixed. This is what you need. Hands down. Blends in with the rest of them. You can sleep in it if needed. Go anywhere you need to go. Just find a good one rust free. Stick your money into it. They will also hold their value. In fact they are starting to rise in Value. Just don't let your wife drive it and flip it like my wife did mine. More aftermarket and used parts than you will ever need. Jeep clubs for info and help. Also already a ton of research on survival parts and mods already done . just look them up. View attachment 300590

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
I’m not a huge Jeep expert. Which generation is that?
mid 90's Any generation of that body style is good to go. You can even convert it over to a carburetor. But they are pretty much bullet proof as is. I have seen them with 300,000 miles all original engine trans, ect and still going strong. There is so much info on the Jeep forums. So many being modded the used parts market is full of stuff and cheap. Plus Jeep people are like it was in here a long time ago. People helping each other out.

·
Registered
915 Posts
952!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
What do you mean? You can't drive this everyday or to the store?
Me & Russian BMP.jpg

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
I would go with a Toyota product. There is a reason more people own them in the world than any other brand - reliable.

·
Registered
915 Posts
That's ♤♡◇♧in' cool.
Doesn't have the living space of The 952, but still cool.
+6 on the Toyotas, since the daily driver was part of the parameters. I've put hundreds of thousands of miles on mine.
I personally have a bug in plan. 3-story block building. Large open basement for hydro-garden.
Chimneys for wood heat. Large front widows for the girls to dance in. After all, no matter how tough times are alcohol & @$$ always sell. :)
Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
Go Cowboys! And take the Lions w/you!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts