AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMG_5169.jpg IMG_5171.jpg During all this time at home I tried to create a SHTF / Bugout / Survival kit out of the cheapest items I could use. I went through all sorts of different set ups, each being a little different from the previous one, and for a while before all the rioting and looting started I had more of a Bug-Out set up that had lots of survival items. It was basically a big bugout pack only each item was wrapped around a belt. When the current events started happening I decided to change it up- while still using very cost effective items. This is what I finally came up with. All coming to around $45 (excluding the magazines) this set up is more of a "fighting" set up than a "live out in the woods like the kids in Red Dawn" type setup. I mostly used MilSurp gear from Vietnam I got from Amazon and Ebay: a web belt, H-harness, M16 mag pouch, canteen pouch, and a medical pouch. Then for another $5 from ebay I got an Army surplus ACU mag pouch. Even though this is mostly a Line 1 Battle Belt set up, I still kept some of the "survival" items in there. I replaced the GI medical pouch with a basic medkit that I added more medical items to, as well as basic survival items like ways to start fire, make shelter, clean water, etc. I then added a new canteen w/ canteen cup and a tourniquet. I have a total of seven 10 round mags for my .223/5.56 AR. This isn't much, but it's basically got the basic items for a fight (ammo, water, and medical) and it'll keep your wallet happy. What do you guys think of it? Feel free to share what you have as your own SHTF loadout if you want as well.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was just gonna edit it and add that I forgot about that. I always carry my trusty fixed blade as part of my EDC so that would also be a part of the setup. I also forgot to add that even though this is just the belt rig, I also have a soft armor vest and a Kevlar helmet to put on if it really gets to be like that. Those were not part of the cheap belt rig though so I didn't add it, but my kit as a whole includes them if need be.
Looks like great setup..got the necessities covered. Only thing I can think to add would be a good knife

·
Banned
2,301 Posts
All the bases covered then :) I prefer a belt setup too, easier to get low and prone if need be and don’t have a bunch of stuff and mags hanging on a chest rig/vest setup

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Good set up, the current US molle vests are inexpensive and a good starting point.

The availability of various military surplus kits these days makes it easy to build a good kit and to have multiple kits for different circumstances.

A recent thread about modern Czech gear is worth your time also.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
I did the belt system for like 21 years, it is simple, durable and it works.
It can be taken off in vehicles and slipped on in a second. Not being an asshole here, but have you put it on and worn it? Rolled around in and out of prone?
If you carry a pistol, make sure and make it a shoulder holster, the learning curve of why can be a bitch.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I have a different philosophy or approach to this scenario.
There are two camps here: 1) war belt and 2) vest/chest rig

Either one you want or have is better than not having anything at all.

Here's my point of view.
If you prepare for a fight (defending your life, your property, your family) it means you are expecting a fight... meaning retuned fire.
In this case you need some protection (which you already mentioned you have). Helmet and body armor.

I don't see or noticed reading about a secondary weapon. Worth considering.

You mentioned 10 round mags. I guess that implies a bad state, perhaps CA. I hope you got some freedom week mags with full/standard capacity.

I can go a full day without drinking water. I always try hard to remind myself to drink water. I've never been hydrating myself for as long as I can remember, so a water bottle would not be important to me. I live in SoCal of all places and yes it does get hot here sometimes.
In case you are defending your property, water should be available and nearby. So, weight savings.

Considering the importance of "preventing holes" I would value body armor more and consider it more important in this scenario, therefore you can ease the load on your belt or spread it over to the carrier too. Maybe that 3 mag pouch can reside on the carrier itself.

If, again, you are defending your property, the boo boo kit inside your IFAK would not be necessary. Save some more weight and room. Keep the IFAK with the essentials for "plugging holes".

I know it's not much of a weight saving theory when I advocate the use of body armor (which I already mentioned I consider it to be important), the room left by not using some other items could be used for more ammo.
You can have loose ammo or more mags.
70 rounds is not enough in my opinion unless you have a really cool mind, count your spent rounds and never waste any of them... as in 1 shot... 1 point.

I think most of us are guilty of mixing up the mission we are prepared for.
Establish what your specific mission is.
Maybe have a few setups for different missions ready for you.
Defense vs bug out vs patrolling vs scouting.

In trying hard to cover both areas, we come up short in both of them.

If you are using this loadout for a Bug Out setup, it is not enough on many fronts.
As a patrol setup, it is not enough.
As a defense setup, I would change some things around.

I guess we all want and expect a magical Swiss Knife which can do everything we need in life. I realize it can be feasible.
Everything is a huge compromise and we need to determine what we can compromise the most.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In a way I actually have "tested" this setup, It may sound lame but I took it out a few times and played airsoft with some buddies around the woods and I used m16 airsoft mags and this setup running around, crawling on the ground, jumping around, running, slipping/ falling, and all that other stuff and it actually stood its ground and performed exceptionally. Another guy I was with was using these airsoft games to test out his own set up with a plate carrier rig he got and my budget setup actually performed better because a couple pieces of his kit fell off (gloves he had clipped on the molle and his dump pouch lost a couple mags while he was running around). Because of these "trials" I had wearing this set up, I'm actually pretty confident in it if I actually had to put it on and use it in a real world scenario. Airsoft might be playing around with toy guns but it actually is a GREAT way to test out gear because you're actually using it how you would in real life and running around all day with your kit on and doing reloads and rolling around the ground and all that.
I did the belt system for like 21 years, it is simple, durable and it works.
It can be taken off in vehicles and slipped on in a second. Not being an asshole here, but have you put it on and worn it? Rolled around in and out of prone?
If you carry a pistol, make sure and make it a shoulder holster, the learning curve of why can be a bitch.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Those are great points, I think my main goal here was just trying to spend as little as possible, so as I was getting all these $5 mag pouches, canteen pouch, web belt, etc. I wasn't really thinking of a specific mission, more along the lines of "yeah that would be pretty good to have in a Boogaloo scenario". For home defense this actually wouldn't be my set up at all. If it is just a bump in the night or something I have a tacticool'd out Mossberg 500 that I use and maybe ill throw on my body armor if i have the time. (Ive also added snacks in the pouches of my body armor vest so that covers another problem of keeping up on calories) This setup I guess is more of a "boogaloo/ SHTF / militia/ fantasy fighting" rig that I just threw together to have something in case I may need to start doing "urban warfare" or whatever it may be. It's kind of a mix between the "defense" and "patrol" points that you said. I'll definitely start thinking of a more specific role that I want to make it because as of now it's more or less just a rig to have for fun that was cost effective to do so.
I have a different philosophy or approach to this scenario.
There are two camps here: 1) war belt and 2) vest

Either one you want or have is better than not having anything at all.

Here's my point of view.
If you prepare for a fight (defending your life, your property, your family) it means you are expecting a fight... meaning retuned fire.
In this case you need some protection (which you already mentioned you have). Helmet and body armor.

I don't see or noticed reading about a secondary weapon. Worth considering.

You mentioned 10 round mags. I guess that implies a bad state, perhaps CA. I hope you got some freedom week mags with full/standard capacity.

I can go a full day without drinking water. I always try hard to remind myself to drink water. I've never been hydrating myself for as long as I can remember, so a water bottle would not be important to me. I live in SoCal of all places and yes it does get hot here sometimes.
In case you are defending your property, water should be available and nearby. So, weight savings.

Considering the importance of "preventing holes" I would value body armor more and consider it more important in this scenario, therefore you can ease the load on your belt or spread it over to the carrier too. Maybe that 3 mag pouch can reside on the carrier itself.

If, again, you are defending your property, the boo boo kit inside your IFAK would not be necessary. Save some more weight and room. Keep the IFAK with the essentials for "plugging holes".

I know it's not much of a weight saving theory when I advocate the use of body armor (which I already mentioned I consider it to be important), the room left by not using some other items could be used for more ammo.
You can have loose ammo or more mags.
70 rounds is not enough in my opinion unless you have a really cool mind, count your spent rounds and never waste any of them... as in 1 shot... 1 point.

I think most of us are guilty of mixing up the mission we are prepared for.
Establish what your specific mission is.
Maybe have a few setups for different missions ready for you.
Defense vs bug out vs patrolling vs scouting.

In trying hard to cover both areas, we come up short in both of them.

If you are using this loadout for a Bug Out setup, it is not enough on many fronts.
As a patrol setup, it is not enough.
As a defense setup, I would change some things around.

I guess we all want and expect a magical Swiss Knife which can do everything we need in life. I realize it can be feasible.
Everything is a huge compromise and we need to determine what we can compromise the most.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Gotcha. You get more points for testing it out.

Regarding the loo, it was cancelled this year. Next year too, and possibly the year after as well. hahahaha

Did you watch TYM video?
Not that anyone wants the loo to take place, we are all too complacent compared to the other ones (communists, looters, antifa, BLM, you-name-it rights, etc).
We say we won't comply, but we do and we will.
We are the law abiding citizens.
It's also probably because we have mortgage payments, kids tuition, credit card bills, taking care of grandma and her sister etc.

I would be more worried about the law enforcement confiscating toys, door to door, one by one rather than the actual igloo.
We won't be able to get together for that big party. We are way too far apart. It's too much of a fantasy in my opinion.
Then there are the Bradley's in case we get too rowdy.
We don't have the numbers, discipline, mobility, organization, communication.

We have everything to lose.

Those who have absolutely nothing to lose make up the greatest threat to anyone opposing them.

What happened for the past 3 months?
Induced fear by the media.
That's how much we can be controlled.
Our freedom went away and will never come back because the government realized fear can accomplish so much more than a law can.
No laws are enacted, but fear keeps us away from each other.

Everyone else is fighting on the streets to implement a communist regime, or fighting to equality, or against racism, but nobody is on the streets to fight to get our freedom back.
We all lose in this game. Everyone's freedom is gone, no matter the color, social status, zip code, fat/skinny, tall/short, young/old.

So yeah. The event was cancelled.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Keep an eye out for the old viet nam era butt packs.
You can carry a lot of gear in there that will make your life a lot easier in the field. I used to keep a pair of socks, multi-tool, my woobie, a broken down c-rat, wool hat and a couple of fire/heat sources and gloves.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm curious to what other loadouts everyone has on here. Anyone care to show us what you got? I'm looking around for a chest or minuteman rig myself.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
There are dozens on videos on YT on this subject.
Most of them are pretty much the same type of setup.

There are, of course, pro and con videos on chest rigs vs war belts.

Mine is not much of a looker.
Old surplus leather belt, commie block mag pouch, trauma pouch. No water canteen, although I got one.
I need to add a double mag pouch for a pistol.

I am also considering getting a surplus chest rig for more mags carrying capacity.

The thing is, with me, I am looking at bugging in rather than bugging out.
Three other people I need to take care of and I would never live behind.
That's one of the reasons I don't need/want any other items on me which may impede mobility, decrease carrying mag capacity, etc. No water, no food.

To those looking at a more bugging out scenario, a knife (which was mentioned already), multitool, and very important RADIO for comms. The lone wolf theory is just for Hollywood.
Establish comms with your group of friends/family. Very important.
Way points - meeting areas, escape routes. Escape means (cars are unlikely to be used either because of road blocks or easy targets), SUV with off road capability is one choice.
A Dirt Bike would be another great choice (although very loud).
A mountain bike would also make good sense.
Inflatable boat (if any rivers or lakes are nearby).

All of the transportation devices mentioned are of course dependent upon the terrain, geographical location.

I live in a dense urban area.
Evacuation would be impossible to accomplish with thousands of cars going the same direction (all directions actually due to everyone's thinking one area is safer than the other).
There are canals (improperly called rivers in my area - LA) along the freeways. They have running/biking tracks along the way. Truly awesome for use in one those situations.

At many points along the freeways here and those bike paths along the "rivers" we have a few Self Storage facilities.
You can walk/run/bike to those places and get an ATV/Dirt Bike out of there to continue on somewhere safe.
You can also have some other supplies available there.

In my opinion heading toward the mountains is a better choice in my case. You might not have any for hundreds of miles, Forests would be a good second option. Secluded areas.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
The circles represent choke points. Freeways converging.

It's always traffic there on a normal day.
During panic it would be a parking lot for days.

If there is a big earthquake taking out a few overpasses and/or bridges it's game over.
The streets will be packed. Very difficult to get to the freeways which in turn will be full of cars.

I think those bike paths along the "rivers" would be the only choice. Cars can't get on them though. Maybe something very small and narrow such a Smart car. ATVs are OK.

Anyway, something for all of you to ponder on. Plan for escape plan B and C.
In some cases that war belt won't be enough.
It may work well on a bike/motorcycle/ATV.

Screen Shot 2020-06-19 at 6.45.28 PM.png

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Nice Dixy2k. I use google maps and my laser range finder to map out my A.O. I figure a range card may come in handy for shtf.

It's a meme but makes sense,

·
Registered
583 Posts
How about a poncho or small tarp and a bag of drier lint in a ziplock back? You need several ways to start a fire and some form of quick shelter. A cold wet night or two will put your dick in the dirt. Don’t forget paracord for everything from climbing to making snares. You’ll be lucky to set 10 snares and catch 1 animal.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
If Minuteman is the theme then this video should cover just about all angles. Belt and plate carrier/chest rig combined.
Maybe skip the first 4 minutes of talk.
He may be a little over the top but there is some good info there.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just first wanna say big thanks to dixy2k because the info you are giving out is very well thought out and is some great knowledge. But for this other point about having element protection and fire the rig I have does have a LARGE industrial trash bag that I can use to make a makeshift poncho, tarp, water catcher, bag, cover to keep things dry, etc. I learned that from a youtube video (
) and for fire I do have multiple ways including lighters, matches, magnesium rod method, and I have tinder I can use as well. This kit is more of a run and gun fighting kit but I do have the basics in there as well if I need to camp out.
How about a poncho or small tarp and a bag of drier lint in a ziplock back? You need several ways to start a fire and some form of quick shelter. A cold wet night or two will put your dick in the dirt. Don’t forget paracord for everything from climbing to making snares. You’ll be lucky to set 10 snares and catch 1 animal.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts