AK Rifles banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the quality of BROWN BEAR ammo? Is the BROWN BEAR 7.62x39 OK to shoot in my Polytech Legend? Will the bullet cause inordinate wear on the barrell (steel bullet?) and/or is it corrosive?

PS: At a gun show in Austin today and saw a desent amount of 7.62 x39. Also alot of people real proud of junk they where trying to sell. There used to be deals at the shows. Now you got to look hard.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Brown Bear is good stuff, made by Barnaul... I've shot numerous amounts with no problem....I'm with ya on the gun shows now a day's, not much for me anyway.... :neutral:

ETA: Welcome!!!! :beer:

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Brown Bear is non corrosive.

The bullet is lead core, steel jacket, copperwashed. The jacket is steel but it does not come into contact with the barrel, the copper does. So no, it does not cause increased barrel wear.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
really , plated steel jackets are SLIPPERYER than all copper jackets . just , not by enough to make much diff .

most barrel wear is about gas cutting from blowby if any and gas errosion . half the powdercharge of granules gets SWAGED up the barrel while on fire @4500 deg F.

over cleaning is the second cause of damage . ever seen the muzzel of an old Enfield with pull-threw rope damage ? over cleaning can wear the muzzel out till a proper bullet , inserted , will go all the way in !!!

as for the BrownBearBarnaul
the FMJ was some of the best shooting factory 762x39 ammo i ever saw ! while chronographing and shooting a target at 25M just for reference point , it put 6 of ten shots in the same hole . not near each other or next too or even real close too but , in the same hole . the other 4 were touching overlapped .

yea , it was only 25m but shit like that is so rare , i remember the last time a similar thing happend 30years ago .
neither time was just CHANCE but the end result of a lot of testing , headscratching and work .

as a side benifit , the BBBarnaul FMJ i had was with the 'improved' (terminal effect) M67 type bullet .

buy all the BrownBearBarnaul FMJ you can afford .

me like .

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
here is the chrono for it .

16.25"B , 76DEG.F. , @15ft. all are 10shot strings . for some reason , my chrono wouldnt reset so i dont have S.D. . then , figured out i was working it wrong , sorry

NEW BrownBearBarnaul FMJ M67bullet
AVE,2372 fps
HI , 2406
LO , 2351
ES , , 55
SD , ---

this was like , ammo from 2 1/2 years ago .

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I bought some brown bear at J&G today. 4 days ago, they had 200,000 rounds. I bought the last box of 500 fmj, and 500 HP. They had a few thousand rounds of HP left.

Daaaaaammmmnnn.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
i figured someboby had a order of 762x39 BrownBear come in as the GOUGERS are filling GUNBROKER with it and , WOLF :mad:
some claiming that they are selling the last of old stock .

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
yup

its made by Barnaul .

the BROWN BEAR that i had , that came over after 9/11 , has that improved M67 FMJ lead core bullet . this is a Ulyanovsk design bullet (?) , or Uly was supplying bullets to Barnaul for BEAR brand ammo .?.

i wonder if the newmade has the same bullet -or- Barnauls common M67 bullet ?

them funny guys are always forming some consortium thing .

for me , Barnaul 762x39 FMJ is in the same class as Lapua , accuracy wise , in most weapons . they make EX ammo (extreem accuracy) for sale in skankey 'ole europe :troll: but dont sell it here .

i think what they do on the EX ammo trickles down to the other ammo . since they exersize no more controle of component weights and measures than other ammo makers and chrono results are always just 'good normal' , i can only assume the accuracy secret is in case dimension control , particularly the shoulder , neck and especially neck thickness .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts