AK Rifles banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of buying steel cased .223 for my AR's and was wondering if anyone could give me any pro's/con's for how steel cased rounds preform in an AR.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
306 Posts
depends on the rifle. It works just fine in my CMMG but others have had mixed results. By a few boxes to try before betting the farm. Or buy a few thousand and if they dont work, send them to me :twisted:
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
10,307 Posts
Number1gilla said:
I am thinking of buying steel cased .223 for my AR's and was wondering if anyone could give me any pro's/con's for how steel cased rounds preform in an AR.
I would rather talk about abortion, politics and religion.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
10,307 Posts
SD01 said:
In mine BB steel case will work fine for about 80 rounds and then problems start up.
Failure to extract? What does other branded steel case do for you?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,970 Posts
FTE's - yes. The cases get stuck in the chamber from the gunk build up. Generally steel case doesn't do well in my AR, but your mileage may vary. At the last rifle class I went to the instructor said that 99 percent of the people who show up with AR's loaded with steel case experience some sort of problem or another before the day is out . He also claimed that steel case will wear out the extractor more quickly, but that was the first time I had ever heard that.

My 5.56 AK, on the other hand...
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
10,307 Posts
SD01 said:
FTE's - yes. The cases get stuck in the chamber from the gunk build up. .............
Had a parts kit house barrel do the same thing at about 80 rounds, that is why I was asking. Chamber was actually undersized (dull reamer) and as it heated up, the case failed to extract. Brass ammo was more forgiving and not a issue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
I have shot about 400 rnds of brown bear .223 HP thru my Bushmaster with out a problem. If your AR deoesnt shoot steel case then is noo good.
Go for it while it is still cheap.

223SAINT
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,970 Posts
223saint said:
I have shot about 400 rnds of brown bear .223 HP thru my Bushmaster with out a problem. If your AR deoesnt shoot steel case then is noo good.
Go for it while it is still cheap.

223SAINT
continuously - or in batches of 2 or 3 mags before you cleaned it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,916 Posts
In a rifle with a true milspec 5.56mm chamber, no issues.

Most commercial AR's use a .223 chamber regardless of what's marked on the barrel.

I have shot several thousand rounds of this stuff out of my Colt 6920 and Colt 6520, including several classes with Larry Vickers, with zero malfunctions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
SD01 said:
223saint said:
I have shot about 400 rnds of brown bear .223 HP thru my Bushmaster with out a problem. If your AR deoesnt shoot steel case then is noo good.
Go for it while it is still cheap.

223SAINT
continuously - or in batches of 2 or 3 mags before you cleaned it?
I shot it in one range session as I was testing 12 new O-Kay mags I recently purchased. After that I popped in my Ciener .22lr kit and shot 200 rnds to test new Black Dog Mags and all shot without issue. I usually use the cheap ammo to test new mags.

223SAINT
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Number1gilla said:
I am thinking of buying steel cased .223 for my AR's and was wondering if anyone could give me any pro's/con's for how steel cased rounds preform in an AR.
Theres a lot of bullshit about extractor wear and shit...
if MY rifle doesn't eat it and smile, I'm looking for a problem with the rifle.
You may have to clean a little better, especially the chamber because the steel doesn't expand like brass... but thats about it.

I will say that if I can get a case of brass PMC or some such for $350, I won't buy Wolf or other steel case for $300. If the difference in price is on the order of $100 difference or better, then I'll go with steel case every time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,970 Posts
Gonzo_Beyondo said:
Number1gilla said:
I am thinking of buying steel cased .223 for my AR's and was wondering if anyone could give me any pro's/con's for how steel cased rounds preform in an AR.
Theres a lot of bullshit about extractor wear and shit...
if MY rifle doesn't eat it and smile, I'm looking for a problem with the rifle.
You may have to clean a little better, especially the chamber because the steel doesn't expand like brass... but thats about it.

I will say that if I can get a case of brass PMC or some such for $350, I won't buy Wolf or other steel case for $300. If the difference in price is on the order of $100 difference or better, then I'll go with steel case every time.
not naming names, but I took about half of what the instructor said that day as just that - BS. He made the statement about AR extractor wear and steel cased ammo, and then couldn't explain why it was so when a student asked him why AK's don't seem to have that problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,030 Posts
Templar said:
In a rifle with a true milspec 5.56mm chamber, no issues.

Most commercial AR's use a .223 chamber regardless of what's marked on the barrel.

I have shot several thousand rounds of this stuff out of my Colt 6920 and Colt 6520, including several classes with Larry Vickers, with zero malfunctions.
+10000000
8k-10k out of my colt barreled semis and colt barreled uppers on my brothers RR M16

one of my buddies had an oly barreled gun that choked on anything you feed it(tight chamber),now its my dedicated M261 .22 upper its all about the chamber and I believe the chrome lining or lack off
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top