AK Rifles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And it has happened, yep. I know this has happened to someone here before. I was trying to install a bullet guide on my Saiga, and the tap broke. I was trying to be so careful for this not to happen. The gun came loose and fell over, snapping it in half. Then I tried to grab it with some needle nose and a chunk broke off pretty easily. I still have some left there. What is gonna be my best bet? Please help.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
If you own a chisel that will fit in the hole use that to break up what remains.
If you don't own a chisel which is small enough, you can use a small center punch.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Or last resort, carbide drill bit, solid point or straight flute. If the threads are ruined you can drill out to the next common size, 12. Common pitches are 24, 28 and 32.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
they make a tool that has 4 little fingers that fit in the grooves down the side of the tap that will let you screw the broken piece back out

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Sorry to see your tap broke there, lab. As for me, I'm surprised some of my taps HAVEN'T broken.

·
Technical Advisor
15,729 Posts
yellowlabsrule said:
kalibos said:
they make a tool that has 4 little fingers that fit in the grooves down the side of the tap that will let you screw the broken piece back out
Yeah I'm looking at that now made by Walton.I think I will give it a try
http://www.amazon.com/Walton-10063-Flute-Extractor-Square/dp/B0006N8DFK
Those tap removers sound good but generally they self destruct as the small claws that reach down into the tap flutes just cannot get enough bite before they deform or break from the stem area of the tool. My experience anyhow. Carbide bits will walk and wander as there is no stable/flat surface to drill against. A Dremel burr of hardened steel can work to some degree of success., but>>
For the money and time I have found that the advice already given above in using a nail set or very fine chisel to "fracture" the brittle tap is the best path to removal. You can also try using the set or other instrument to drive the tap at an angle to revolve or turn the tap so it threads it's way back out. Sharpen a hardeened tool if you need to make a fracturing tool.., try to fratcure the cutting flutes off the main body etc.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
AKBLUE said:
yellowlabsrule said:
kalibos said:
Yeah I'm looking at that now made by Walton.I think I will give it a try
http://www.amazon.com/Walton-10063-Flute-Extractor-Square/dp/B0006N8DFK
Those tap removers sound good but generally they self destruct as the small claws that reach down into the tap flutes just cannot get enough bite before they deform or break from the stem area of the tool. My experience anyhow. Carbide bits will walk and wander as there is no stable/flat surface to drill against. A Dremel burr of hardened steel can work to some degree of success., but>>
For the money and time I have found that the advice already given above in using a nail set or very fine chisel to "fracture" the brittle tap is the best path to removal. You can also try using the set or other instrument to drive the tap at an angle to revolve or turn the tap so it threads it's way back out. Sharpen a hardeened tool if you need to make a fracturing tool.., try to fratcure the cutting flutes off the main body etc.
never had a problem with the ones i use on base...then again, they are probably better quality than the $11 one the OP linked.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got it out. It was a waste of time trying to turn it out. After we broke it off flush I took a punch and just knocked it straight down. Got a new tap and this time, used the tool. Re tapped it, and it was good. Thank you again for the advice everyone. :smile:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts