AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Banned
8,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i am thinking an enfield barrel, ak parts, bren mag, milled down bolt, m70 milled front stub, and some crazy ass chit and i could have the first 303 ak?

maybe a bren barrel or a maxim.

thoughts.......... :cool:

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Sounds possible. I would recomend finding a bolt and carrier for a PSL to accomidate the rimmed cartridge. I am not sure how well a 7.62x39 bolt would work. Keep us posted.

·
Banned
8,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
walt-oxie1 said:
Sounds possible. I would recomend finding a bolt and carrier for a PSL to accomidate the rimmed cartridge. I am not sure how well a 7.62x39 bolt would work. Keep us posted.
ya i wish. i am thinking taking a standard bolt and milling the face to the right size. the extractor will be modded too.

·
Banned
8,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
are you f-ing kiding me!!!!! :mad:
now i got to think of something even kooler! ffffuuuuuuuuuuccccccc...

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
turbothis said:
walt-oxie1 said:
ya i wish. i am thinking taking a standard bolt and milling the face to the right size. the extractor will be modded too.
It would be about a .0845 difference in the rim diameters. You would probably have to open the bolt face up to about roughly .538 to make it work right. Might be easier to do it on a lathe. That will leave the bolt face real thin in some areas. The extractor should be an easy mod. The ejector would need to be moved further back and probably doesn't need to be as long. The part that may be an issue is the bolt and carrier lenght compared to 7.62x39. The mag is longer and will force everything to be moved back. There will be a bunch of mods to make the hammer hit the firing pin while the distance between them will be longer due to the .303 cartridge. I know you are tallented and am more than capable to make it happen. The solution I would suggest is to lengthen the rear of the bolt about .84 to set your geometry back where it needs to be. You will also have to make a firing pin. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
i have a sneaking suspicion this is the tip of the iceberg as far as community benefits from mister turbothis getting involved in the hobby!

i can't wait to see this, should be very cool!

·
Banned
8,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i am only limited by budget! i think this hobby/country could use more extreme do-it-yourselfer's

i like what i see but would like to see more............
you guys rock! :hail:

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
one of these days i'll sneak some tuition assistance into a welding class or three. until then, the air force has different ideas on what skills i get to develop, and unfortunately they're not even close to building toys. :lol:

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
.410 shot shells are nearly the same rim diameter as a .303 brit round... Maybe a .410 saiga shotty, or the bolt at least could serve as a starting point?

.410 rim od: 0.533" 13.35 mm
.303 rim od 0.540" 13.7 mm

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
no problem. In india they used to convert shot out .303 enfields to .410 shotguns to use as riot guns. thats where I got the idea from.

1 - 20 of 159 Posts