AK Rifles banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure you've heard of the case but may not be familiar with the name. Brian Aitken is a convicted felon and absent father for following the letter of the law. Here's a bit of the story:

Recoil Mag
Brian D. Aitken was arrested and imprisoned for the possession of perfectly legal firearms. During the last of several back-and-forth trips from Colorado to New Jersey, where he was moving in order to be closer to his son, Aitken was arrested at his parents’ house. Apparently police located his handguns after a search of his car – unloaded, locked and secured in his trunk. This despite a New Jersey law exemption that should have made the possessions of said weapons completely legal.

IMHO, this is a scary scary scary prescident and one that affects the very essence of the 2A. This is America. This should not be happening.

Brian Aitken, "Convicted Gun Offender" - RECOIL

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
There's something rank in the air these days.
Smells like a category 9 shit storm rollin' in.

This shit never should have happened in the first place, and the fact that people aren't protesting in the streets indicates the decline of neighborly regard in this country.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Been following this closely. This is the exact reason why when I need to cross the bridge over to the peoples republik of jersey, i do a clean sweep of my car to check for any jersey felonies. Unreal that I can be perfectly legal one minute, cross a bridge, and be committing numerous felonies.

I've only met one person there with a NJ license to carry firearms (and most people cant say they even met one). Of course, the kid's father was the chief of police. Whole system is corrupt as hell.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Been following this closely. This is the exact reason why when I need to cross the bridge over to the peoples republik of jersey, i do a clean sweep of my car to check for any jersey felonies. Unreal that I can be perfectly legal one minute, cross a bridge, and be committing numerous felonies.

I've only met one person there with a NJ license to carry firearms (and most people cant say they even met one). Of course, the kid's father was the chief of police. Whole system is corrupt as hell.
You anint kiddin brother. I cross into Joyze at least once a week, usually around Pensauken or Trenton Makes bridge. I take everything out/off including pocket knives. Even if I have half a box of fmj I'll still take them out. I think lighters are still a gray area!

·
Banned
950 Posts
It's only going to get worse. He has grounds to fight but the question is, can he afford to fight? Will the NRA pick up his case along with all the New Yorkers fighting similiar BS cases?

7n6

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I've alway's found it ironic that we feed people over sea's when we have hungry people in our own country. Don't get me wrong, I'm not in favor of a Welfare state, but this country's prioritie's have been out of sync for a while.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
You anint kiddin brother. I cross into Joyze at least once a week, usually around Pensauken or Trenton Makes bridge. I take everything out/off including pocket knives. Even if I have half a box of fmj I'll still take them out. I think lighters are still a gray area!
Wow good point, the lighter fluid I keep in my car for my zippo is probably considered an improvised explosive device!

I read another NJ case that sums up the state well: A guy drove to Atlantic City from Philly, and left his gun in the glovebox by accident. After gambling, he went back to his car and noticed it had been broken into, and the gun was taken from his glovebox. While filling the police report, he informed the police that his handgun had been taken as well. They DID NOT react whatsover to this statement. Once the man had signed his sworn statement, the cops then told him he was under arrest- handcuffed him and put him in jail.

It was ignorant of him to take his gun across borders, but still shows the insanity of the state. The victim becomes the criminal. I don't know what happened to him, he posted his story on PAFOA and took it down a few days later on advice of his attorney. (the member had a great rep, so for the most part I believe his story... but still need to take it with a grain of salt)

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Those laws really have nothing to do with crime it all started with the mobsters in the 20s. With the exception of Cali and maybe other states that got tough gun laws within the last 30 years....NJ, IL, NY all had a lot of mafia. Some one figured out that if I pay the politicians to inact tough gun laws they can go after my rivals while leaving me alone.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've pre-ordered his book to help fund his legal defense. So far, it he's raised about 29k.

IMHO, we're in a cultural "Cold War" and the only ground taken is taken by action. Previous generations shed blood for this country so that following generations could enjoy the rights afforded to them. It's worth fighting for.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
I've pre-ordered his book to help fund his legal defense. So far, it he's raised about 29k.

IMHO, we're in a cultural "Cold War" and the only ground taken is taken by action. Previous generations shed blood for this country so that following generations could enjoy the rights afforded to them. It's worth fighting for.
HOLY SHIT! Only 6 days left!
I didn't bother to look at the link in the OP so I didn't even know he was fundraising.
I'm contributing, and I hope you all will do the same!
Help me publish my book, take my case to the Supreme Court, and get my son back. | Indiegogo

·
Super Moderator
10,292 Posts
A couple of years back, I got my Pre-Ban Polytech from New Jersey where the owner was a co-worker who approached me about trying to sell it to me and get rid of it. The rifle was legally bought by him when it was legal in NJ but had since turned into contraband.

The problem we discussed was how to legally get it out of NJ and transferred to me in Delaware? On paper,my co-worker was committing a felony for having it, there was no way to transfer it through a FFL in NJ to me and shipping it direct to me was illegal. We had to gamble and transport it across state lines to a FFL in Delaware who then 4173 transferred it to me and thereby ending the ordeal. It struck both of us on how stupid it was to play these games when committing and not committing a felony was only separated by the Delaware river and a bridge.

·
Banned
950 Posts
A couple of years back, I got my Pre-Ban Polytech from New Jersey where the owner was a co-worker who approached me about trying to sell it to me and get rid of it. The rifle was legally bought by him when it was legal in NJ but had since turned into contraband.

The problem we discussed was how to legally get it out of NJ and transferred to me in Delaware? On paper,my co-worker was committing a felony for having it, there was no way to transfer it through a FFL in NJ to me and shipping it direct to me was illegal. We had to gamble and transport it across state lines to a FFL in Delaware who then 4173 transferred it to me and thereby ending the ordeal. It struck both of us on how stupid it was to play these games when committing and not committing a felony was only separated by the Delaware river and a bridge.
What's more amazing is the hoops gun owners jump through just to stay ahead of each state's little games. In all honesty, all state gun laws should be struck down as un-constitutional.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Got a similar issue where I live, in firearm loving, firearm friendly Indiana, when every now and then I have to travel out of country to visit my daughter in grad school in Chicago. Pretty sad that the constitution at one time was meant to cover the states, and allow us freedom to travel among the states under the umbrella of the first and second amendment. Not anymore folks!

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
HOLY SHIT! Only 6 days left!
I didn't bother to look at the link in the OP so I didn't even know he was fundraising.
I'm contributing, and I hope you all will do the same!
Help me publish my book, take my case to the Supreme Court, and get my son back. | Indiegogo
If we don't individually take responsibility to help our fellow Americans who are under attack by the collectivists and fascists - who will stand with you or me when we're under the gun, so to speak?

I'm in to help this gun brother!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I like it here in the Midwest in Ks and Mo. Any one who messes with the 2nd amendment legal firearms for possession would be tried as felons themselves. Let this simple statement of personal rights as set forward in the Constitution and Bill of Rights END any arguments.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm sure Mr. Aitken will get his fair share of paid speaking engagements and receive a nice advance for his book. In addition, I know the NRA is/has picked up a large portion of his attorney bills (and rightly so). So it's not like the firearms community hasn't rallied around him and the injustice that happened. But we can/should all be a part of righting the wrong.

Good news is that the most serious gun charge was overturned by two appeals judges. However, he still can't own a firearm. Which is just egregious and unbelievable.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
....However, he still can't own a firearm. Which is just egregious and unbelievable.
Can't own a weapon and can't have his son either.
I know that he has been getting a little help from the NRA (I guess?) and he may have an opportunity to make some money in the future (as if any amount of money could make it okay what has happened to him); the reason I donated to his cause was not because I thought he was hurting to pay bills, but because I wanted to be part of the group of people that eventually donated so much money to his cause that it actually makes a political statement for all to see.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts