AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been hitting pawn shops and gun stores for the last 2 weeks just sampling the wares. Prices have been 300-850, but I never did find the "right" one. Oddly enough I was driving through a small town and saw a pawn shop and went in. They had 6 AK's and one with a folding stock. I'm 6'5" and all the Ak's I have found are too short for my taste but this one was it. I talked the guy from $500 down to $445 and with tax it was $481.71. I got a 30rd mag, 20rd mag and the normal bs in the box. It is a Romanian WASR-10 Folder, I'm pretty sure I overpaid but it was love at first sight. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
698 Posts
Yeah won't commint about the price... But if you like it that's all that matters. Congrads on your new rifle. I have SAR 1 . Cousin to your rifle. Your going to have alot of fun at the range with it. Nice looking rifle by the way, Cheers Wardawg

·
Registered
181 Posts
If you like the folding type stocks I would suggest that you replace that questionable Tapco folder with a nice Romanian or East German folder for around $60-$75. But if you decide not to replace it, don't worry, you can get a different stock on your next AK. You will have to have more than one you know. :twisted:

G

·
Cameron, welcome! Take that thing out and shoot the hell out of it! No need to change anything until you see if you like it first.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
You got jipped on the price, and I hear that the recoil from the rifle will eventually break the stock. But if your happy with it, thats what matters.

We expect a range report and shootin' pics :grin:

·
Registered
333 Posts
Cameron said:
I've been hitting pawn shops and gun stores for the last 2 weeks just sampling the wares. Prices have been 300-850, but I never did find the "right" one. Oddly enough I was driving through a small town and saw a pawn shop and went in. They had 6 AK's and one with a folding stock. I'm 6'5" and all the Ak's I have found are too short for my taste but this one was it. I talked the guy from $500 down to $445 and with tax it was $481.71. I got a 30rd mag, 20rd mag and the normal bs in the box. It is a Romanian WASR-10 Folder, I'm pretty sure I overpaid but it was love at first sight. :mrgreen: Yeah, it sucks trying to find a comfortable way to shoot an AKM when you're well over 6 feet tall.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What is market value on it? I see $440 on gunbroker, so I think I did okay.

Man I hope the stock doesn't break! It is the main reason I bought it!

:shock:

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Romanian WASR rifle: $320

TAPCO (cheap) Galil copy side folding stock: $35

Total cost: $355...

Sorry man... but don't worry, there have been alot worse... I paid $150 for my first Russian M-38, they are worth $80...

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Delicious. If that folding buttstock is a Tapco, what do you think of it? Seem sturdy to you? Locks tight enough? Plastic OK? I ask because I checked out some Romanian side folding butts at the gunshow and I didn't care for the weight. Seemed heavier than wood and the AK weighs enough as is. I know, I'm a skreyling.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Don't worry about the price you paid, the difference is negligable. The tapco stock is not as strong as a real milspec folding stock. I replaced mine with a folder from ACE, it is similar but way better. (more expensive) if your not worried about being "authentic" or having the "right" furniture on your AK I think the Tapco stock will function just fine. :neutral:

·
Registered
551 Posts
I'd go ahead and find a wood stock (they go for about $15 on gunbroker) or sometimes less, keep it (make sure you look for a stamped receiver buttstock), and that way if or when you tapco craps out on you, you can quickly swap out for the wood stock. You wouldn't want to be in a situation like SHTF, the tapco break on you, and you have an oversized pistol, know what I'm saying?

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
I agree with you that the stock length is too short for comfort. On the Romanian AKM I'm building I refinished the stock wood with tung oil and have a rubber butt pad to put on the end of the stock to lengthen it some. Close to stock style and better to shoot with!

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
I second the other guys, get a backup stock... what I would do:

1. De-blue the bolt carrier and polish it to get the authintic chrome look (makes no difference, if you like the blue than stick with it, but I like the chrome look).

2. Refinish the handgaurd. I would pick Russian red, but you can do whatever you want.

3. As far as the stock, it really is your choice, but keep a backup nearby.

G

·
xcibes said:
Come on guys...don't make the guy feel bad about what he paid. He paid what he thought the rifle was worth to him, and if it was more than what you would have paid then that's just his choice. To him the rifle was worth $445 and he was happy to pay that, optherwise he would not have bought it. Dude, enjoy your rifle and don't let people give you a hard time on what you paid...It's a nice rifle BTW.

Well said X. So what if you paid a little more. Hell, I have lost thousands of dollars buying guns and then selling them later to buy the next gun I "had to have". Shoot and enjoy!

·
Registered
112 Posts
BiggerStick47 said:
xcibes said:
Come on guys...don't make the guy feel bad about what he paid. He paid what he thought the rifle was worth to him, and if it was more than what you would have paid then that's just his choice. To him the rifle was worth $445 and he was happy to pay that, optherwise he would not have bought it. Dude, enjoy your rifle and don't let people give you a hard time on what you paid...It's a nice rifle BTW.

Well said X. So what if you paid a little more. Hell, I have lost thousands of dollars buying guns and then selling them later to buy the next gun I "had to have". Shoot and enjoy!
I'll second that motion! I wish I had all the guns I paid to much for and sold cheap to buy yet another. :smile:

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Over the weekend I bought 20 boxes of ammo and went out and had some fun. My gosh what an amazing gun but how addicting! I found myself saying "just one more mag" :D Then I realized I had shot 20 boxes of ammo in just a few hours! LOL

The stock does not seem flimsy to me, I shot it both with and without it and it seemed to do fine. I will probably take you guys advice after my pocketbook recovers.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Welcome to the club Cameron :smile:

Never sweat what you paid if your happy.
You will always run across guys on the .NET who say they bought a Singer 1911 for $50.
Keep looking and you'll find a few smoking deals too.

+1 for the Long K-Var stock.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts