AK Rifles banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been on the look out for a hipower ever since I sold my cheapie clone last year.

Today I got a phone call from a guy that sold me firewood in the past. He inherited this from his grandmother that recently passed. His grandfather died in the 90s but shot competitvely in up into the mid 70's. I am going by tomorrow to look at the rest of his guns, supposed to have several "chrome ones that slide like that one" and one that says "national match".

It has a LOW serial number, 30,xxx. It is an FN, does not say Browning anywhere on it. Does this mean it is a very early import?

Has adjustable sights that look identical to a S&W revolver.

Has a match 9mm barrel... insane trigger job, lighter than my 3.5lb glock trigger. Flared magwell, some grip I can't find anywhere online, notched front sight with a brightly colored piece of plastic inserted, it has a hammer I haven't seen on any other hipower pic. It can fire with the magazine removed as well. The finish is quite dull, but I'm guessing it is age related if anything. In one pic it looks like "SWANSON" stamped in really small letters.

I don't know who this guys grandpa was, but I sure wish I would have had a chance to meet him! I'll give this hipower and hopefully the rest of his guns a great home.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Re: Bought an FN Hi Power today, very interesting PICS

They are S&W sights. This was a 'custom' modification done to lots of pistols in the early 70's by some GOOD honest to god gunsmiths.

If the barrel is good and it is $1,000.00 or less, BUY IT!

·
Registered
1,466 Posts

^^^+1, looks like custom HP from 70's to me also.
-Edit- My brother has a friend who has a Swenson !911....back from the day, expensive ane scary accurate.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts

Depending on the type of matches it was used in, it could be a 'Cylinder & Slide Shop' gun as they specialized in doing High Powers in the 70's. Lots of folks doing 1911's, but few doing High Powers.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

It is MINE. I bought it for a whole $300! I did some searching late late last night and found a few pics and old auctions, this is one SWEET HiPower!

Going to the bank in a few minutes and meeting the guy. He has a 357 revolver, 2 colts that are chrome and a colt gold cup that were his grandpas. He wants to put a down payment on a used pick up truck so he is very motivated to sell.

·
Registered
845 Posts

Good price! You couldn't come close to matching that work for that kinda money, let alone buying a BHP that cheap in the first place. It's a "period piece" too, which is kinda cool in it's own right IMO.

·
Registered
638 Posts

That's an Armand Swenson match pistol. Just the gunsmithing cost more than what you paid... and those would have been 1970s dollars.

Swenson was one of the big names in custom guns, and one of the ones who jump-started the aftermarket 1911 parts industry, though he did other stuff too.

You see cheap import "Swenson" parts now defiling his name, but it looks like you have the real deal.

I'm not familiar with his High Power guns, but he did some fairly radical internal mods on his 1911s; handmade FCG parts and welded pads or screws to locate the barrel in the breech area.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts