AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to a LGS today. I shot my Yugo M57 Tokarev for the first time. It was amazingly accurate. I've been eyeing a Valmet M62/S that they've had for sale for $3,500 for about a year. I asked the owner what the story was on it. He said that his father (former owner) had bought it from a guy about ten years ago who was the original owner and he thinks never fired it. His father never fired it and passed away about five years ago. He said that they just kept it in the safe until they put it out for sale (about a year ago). I told him that I was interested, but the price was too high. He didn't say anything. I then asked if he could take it apart. He took it apart and I examined everything that I could. It appears unfired. I then asked him if he'd take $2,600. He called someone and then said that he take $2,600+tax cash which worked out to $2,756. It seemed like a fair deal to me given what I've learned about this particular model, so I went to the bank, got the money, and paid him.

Left View

Right View

Bolt in Carrier

Rear Sight

Six Digit Serial Number (last three blacked out)

Valmet Brand Marking

Import Marking

Some things that I find interesting are that the bolt is in the white, the gas piston appears blued, and none of the parts other than the receiver have serial numbers. Having looked it over some more, it definitely appears that the rifle has not been fired. The finish is excellent with just very few minor scratch marks. There is also a little bit of discoloration to the finish in spots where it appears that oil or grease dried up.

This will make a good companion to my Springfield imported IMI Galil. I'm pretty sure everything is original. However, if you see something that doesn't look "correct", please let me know.

ETA: I did find the serial number on the rear sight assembly.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Nice buy!!!

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
pretty cool. Ugly yet beautiful.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
In 1995 I was in Macedonia as a UN soldier, we had a large change of command ceremony and a platoon of Finnish soldiers was there in formation. As the ceremony went on, I just looked at their "Ak's" they had and just thought...."What the hell is up with those rifles?" :grin:

Years later with the help of this forum...I found out what they really were. :wink: very cool rifle and I hope you get to enjoy the hell out of it.

·
Registered
319 Posts
very cool, and the bayonet is still with it !

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
Sweet!
I bought my first and only Valmet last year, an M-76 tube folder.

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
Oh My ... :dance:

I almost bought one of those 20 years ago but my buddy convinced me to get a Galil AR instead ...

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
+1

The bayonet is worth a pretty penny by itself.

Stottman said:
Thats a steal, especially with the bayonet.

Even $3500 was fair.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
stoyan79 said:
+1

Stottman said:

Even $3500 was fair.
What's special about the bayonet?

·
Registered
633 Posts
jjjxlr8 said:
stoyan79 said:
+1

Stottman said:

Even $3500 was fair.
Bayonets are made by Fiskars, and another company that I can't remember. They are fairly rare and were usually separated from the rifle early on. I have the wood stock version, and it ranks right up there with with my American Arms Yugo M70 as my favorites. Took me several years to run down a bayo for mine. Also, take very good care of that pistol grip, they break easy and you will never find a replacement. Very nice score at a great price. I've seen the bayos fetch $400+.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Awesome....Beautiful rifle! The Finn's did not cut any corners with the workmanship on ANY or their rifles as far as I'm concerned. Anyone who has a Sako, Tikka, Sky or any other 7.62x54R M-39, Finn Mosins, or any Mosin with a Finn Barrel for that matter should most likely agree.

I personally haven't yet (or know if I ever will) have the oppertunity or chance to get a X39 Valmet....but I have fired a few. You won't be dissapointed. :grin:

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
RunTheDrum said:
jjjxlr8 said:
stoyan79 said:
+1

Stottman said:

Even $3500 was fair.
Bayonets are made by Fiskars, and another company that I can't remember. They are fairly rare and were usually separated from the rifle early on. I have the wood stock version, and it ranks right up there with with my American Arms Yugo M70 as my favorites. Took me several years to run down a bayo for mine. Also, take very good care of that pistol grip, they break easy and you will never find a replacement. Very nice score at a great price. I've seen the bayos fetch $400+.
Thanks.

Hackman and Fiskars made them. I didn't know they were that expensive or difficult to find!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts