AK Rifles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up a Zastava PAP M85 last year and filed my Form-1 in early October. My questions is, what prep work can I do to my M85 short of actually mounting a stock? Can I drill and tap the rear trunion? Can I mount the folding mechanism sans stock? I have SBRd a few AR15s and I know it's bad juju to even have a short barreled upper on the premisses if you don't have a pistol lower, or another SBR. Do I have any options, or do I just need to quit fondling my PAP and staring at the calendar?

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
I would personally err on the side of caution and just not touch it for now. Its not worth it. When you start doing that you start getting complacent and thats generally just not good for you. Start another project!

·
Registered
4,599 Posts
There is a interesting line here in my mind. I wish it would get cleared up but ...

It seems perfectly fine to use a standard buffer tube wrapped with paracord on an AR pistol. Something that is very easy to change, right? So way couldn't you put a fixed/folding stock trunnion on an AK pistol and put some kind of plastic cap or wrap?

I'm more of an err on the side of caution so I wouldn't do it without a letter from the ATF but never cared enough to ask.

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
There is a interesting line here in my mind. I wish it would get cleared up but ...

It seems perfectly fine to use a standard buffer tube wrapped with paracord on an AR pistol. Something that is very easy to change, right? So way couldn't you put a fixed/folding stock trunnion on an AK pistol and put some kind of plastic cap or wrap?

I'm more of an err on the side of caution so I wouldn't do it without a letter from the ATF but never cared enough to ask.
Very interesting idea. I always assumed (I really have no idea) that the buffer tube didn't make it an SBR because it had a vital function for the gun to work as a pistol. Putting a plastic tube resembling a buffer tube on an AK wouldn't have any function other than to prop it to your shoulder I guess.

I'm really not sure though like I said, I'd be interested to know!

·
Registered
4,599 Posts
Very interesting idea. I always assumed (I really have no idea) that the buffer tube didn't make it an SBR because it had a vital function for the gun to work as a pistol. Putting a plastic tube resembling a buffer tube on an AK wouldn't have any function other than to prop it to your shoulder I guess.

I'm really not sure though like I said, I'd be interested to know!
While it's try that the buffer tube is needed, they do make pistol tubes that can not accept a stock. So you would think that people would be required to use those. Kind of like a pistol trunnion vs fixed/folder trunnion for an AK. After all, you NEED a rear trunnion for an AK too.

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
While it's try that the buffer tube is needed, they do make pistol tubes that can not accept a stock. So you would think that people would be required to use those. Kind of like a pistol trunnion vs fixed/folder trunnion for an AK. After all, you NEED a rear trunnion for an AK too.
That's a great point didn't realize that. I quickly glanced at the short definition of an SBR -

"ATF regards pistols with shoulder stocks as redesigned to be fired from the shoulder. Modern pistols with shoulder stocks and with barrels less than 16 inches (or overall length under 26 inches) are NFA short barrelled rifles"

From that, I think it just comes down to what they consider a shoulder stock, and if wrapping the rear trunnion trunnion with cloth or plastic would meet that definition. Ugh. This is where the ATF pisses me off... the extremely vague definitions. If they wanted to get you on something, they would probably use that rear trunnion wrapped up to, regardless of how STUPID that would be.

I really think you are right though that this wouldn't be a violation.

My only fear would be the fact there's the law.... and then there's what the ATF decides is the law.

·
Registered
4,599 Posts
That's a great point didn't realize that. I quickly glanced at the short definition of an SBR -

"ATF regards pistols with shoulder stocks as redesigned to be fired from the shoulder. Modern pistols with shoulder stocks and with barrels less than 16 inches (or overall length under 26 inches) are NFA short barrelled rifles"

From that, I think it just comes down to what they consider a shoulder stock, and if wrapping the rear trunnion trunnion with cloth or plastic would meet that definition. Ugh. This is where the ATF pisses me off... the extremely vague definitions. If they wanted to get you on something, they would probably use that rear trunnion wrapped up to, regardless of how STUPID that would be.

I really think you are right though that this wouldn't be a violation.

My only fear would be the fact there's the law.... and then there's what the ATF decides is the law.
I think it would be more of constructive intent issue than how they define shoulder stock.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, in the attempt to distract myself from my M85 SBR project (Form-1; almost 5 months and counting) I decided to pick up this little toy from CDNN.

gsg_ak47.jpg

CDNN's price for the GSG AK47 .22LR was $270. With shipping, background check, and transfer fee, it came to about $305 'out the door.' Doesn't feel quite as robust as my Sig 522, but still a nice little plinker with some AK pizzaz! Only ran about 50 rounds through it, but did have one FTF. On the second mag the bolt locked back with one round still in the mag. Pulled back and released the bolt and fired fine. Can't wait to spend some serious range time with it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts