AK Rifles banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO, my birthday present was a hand select CZ-52 and an m1895. Had a fun day out shooting in the desert, but had some concerns, the Nagant shot low and to the right, and the CZ shot just very low, like.... from 10 yards away, I was shooting 6 inches down :confused: it also seemed that neither grouped well.
The m1895 has no recoil and is not too loud at all, the CZ has what I would call normal recoil and is quit loud. Now the CZ had no split cases, if I aimed with just the front sight I could get close to what I was hitting (2 inches low) but not consistantly (I'm used to shooting an XD45 and an SP101 and can typicaly hit very precisly and consistantly). ONE BIG CONCERN with the CZ is that about 1/3 times I'd shoot, the slide would not go all the way back to battery and I'd have to sort of forward assist it to be able to fire the next round, how do I fix this? I've cleaned most of the cosmoline out, what I could get to, and more came out so I'll clean it and oil it again... but is there something else going on with it??? oh and it is a 3 dotted slide
The m1895 also has a pretty rough barrel, it by no means has a mirrored bore, the rifling is sharp, and smooth, but the lands are just crap, should I return it for being hand select, or be thankful for how a 1939 gun is?
Thanks for the imput, I'm new with both of these guns.
Dale

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Were you using the proper ammo in the Nagant? What ammo were you using in the CZ?

The CZ might simply benefit from a new recoil spring, or it may need some break-in time to let the parts wear in. As far as the groups, I am betting the shooting is the ammo or you. Whenever I aim my CZ, I have to tilt my wrist a little to keep it level. If you are used to an XD/Sig/1911 you will likely (naturally) tend to keep that hold. With the CZ, that hold drops the muzzle. I would buy a box or two of Privi 7.62x25mm to test the groups on the pistol.

On the Nagant... it is your call. I have a 1915 Nagant with a kinda rough barrel but deep defined rifling and great crown. I decided to keep it, it is a Peter the Great revolver that was marked over after the revolution. It has history. It also shoots well with Fiocchi 7.62x38mmR... work on your hold and make sure it isn't the ammo. I have horrible groups sometimes going between handguns, Sidecarnutz watched me go from his XD to his 1911 and have my groups go from 2" or so to 10" plus. I had to work on my grip, and then I started grouping well.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
q-gunner, thanks, didnt recognize you at frst with the new avatar... SO, I was using Hotshot ammo in the Nagant, and Yugo surplus in the CZ, the CZ would shoot the brass about 20' to my 5 o'clock which is cool, kind of a pain to find the pile of brass, but cool that they stay in a pile... no split cases by the way... I think when I concentrated real hard at where to shoot I could get a tight group if I also aimed with the front post (high) only... I should try with better, and maybe commercial ammo just to see how it can do, I'd like to maybe buy some hollow point for carry... but then again, CZ's arent meant for stopping, they're meant for going through right?
Also with the CZ, I got some brass markings behind the ejector port where I can only assume that brass hit on it's way out, but the brass isnt coming off, has anybody else had this happen, I dont think I'll fight it too much. These are good guns for what they are I guess... OH, and compairing to an XD, the Nagant has a COMPLETLY different point, it's down and to the right, which is weird, most are up or down, but not left and right.... I should just get a crimson trace grip for both of them right? hahaha, Thanks for imput

1 - 3 of 3 Posts