AK Rifles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe I have convinced my wife to purchase some sort of optic for my 105 clone for my birthday.
Target price is up to $400

so - the question remains: Which one do I ask for?

The "obvious" western choices I have seen locally for sale slightly used are Eotechs, Aimpoints, and Tripower Trijicons.

The "obvious" com block choices are not really available as the PK-AS is not available anymore.

so - I plead my case before the judge and jury of my peers: what say ye?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,916 Posts
You'll get the most for your money with an Aimpoint C3, which I believe you can get new for under $400.00, and will perform about as well as the Comp ML 3, just don't go scuba diving with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Templar - thanks for the directions. That looks like something that would be nearly perfect for what I want.

CTD has one for sale that includes the 2X magnifier as well - for under $300.




Now for mounts - I see that the Ultimak is generally the most used mout - is it superior to a nice weaver side rail adapter?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,916 Posts
I like the ability to co-witness the irons in the lower 1/3rd of the Aimpoint, which the Ultimak mount allows you to do.

If co-witnessing isn't that important to you, then something like the BP-02 side mount will work well.

There are a couple of threads here where guys have modded their BP-02's to mount even lower than normal.

For some reason, the Russians are really, really fond of super high mounts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,182 Posts
The CTD Aimpoint Clone and Magnifier, by MAKO is no different to the ones you can get off eBay. I have bought a few clones from one guyin Hong Kong who has such a close copy to the original, it's scary.

They work great on my AK's The only catch is that you won't be able to mount an Aimpoint and Magnifier on a side rail mount, they're just not long enough to accomodate both.

That being said, for your AK105 I would Pick up a PK-02/PK-23 I have one on my tantal and it's excellent.

I could care less about cowitnessing on an AK so I would sauggest a BP-02 low mount. I have seen some guys take the picatinny rail off the BP-02 and then cut it shorter and place it lower between the original pedestals. You can do that if you want it lower, but to me I feel it is low enough already.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok so one vote for Aimpoint and one for PK-23.


Anyone have a line on PK-23's?
I have always liked that they are "dazzling" dots as opposed to regular but I am not sure if it makes that much difference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
Stazi said:
The CTD Aimpoint Clone and Magnifier, by MAKO is no different to the ones you can get off eBay. I have bought a few clones from one guyin Hong Kong who has such a close copy to the original, it's scary.
If you don't mind would you tell me his e-bay username so I could buy one from him?I'm always too afraid to buy from Hong Kong,but if you say he's good to go it'll give me peace of mind enough to make my 1st international e-bay purchase.Thanks,Mick.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
392 Posts
Templar said:
I like the ability to co-witness the irons in the lower 1/3rd of the Aimpoint, which the Ultimak mount allows you to do.
ok, if the aimpoint is relatively indestructible, is there a need to cowitness the irons? i have never really used an optic before but need all of the the help i can get (poor eyesight). i just ordered a t-1 for my ak and a c3 for my AR. in the event of a failure or incapacity of the optic during a serious situation, would it be easy just to take the optic off and continue to fight? i realise itd be quicker to transition to irons but .....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,916 Posts
Since I'm looking through the sight already, you can just look through the irons.

I've also found that using the red dot as your front sight, with it sitting on the front sight post, as you're using the rear sight to align it, allows for greater accuracy for me than just using the red dot.

And yes, I've had an Aimpoint go TU on me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,182 Posts
Near Sighted Sniper said:
Stazi said:
The CTD Aimpoint Clone and Magnifier, by MAKO is no different to the ones you can get off eBay. I have bought a few clones from one guyin Hong Kong who has such a close copy to the original, it's scary.
If you don't mind would you tell me his e-bay username so I could buy one from him?I'm always too afraid to buy from Hong Kong,but if you say he's good to go it'll give me peace of mind enough to make my 1st international e-bay purchase.Thanks,Mick.
http://cgi.ebay.com/1x32-RED-DOT-SIGHT- ... m153.l1262
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top