AK Rifles banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm neither practical, nor tactical. I'm 6'2" broad as a barn and Rubens would have peed his pants (if I was a girl) as I weigh in around 330lbs. I got a short green nylon sling with my SAR-1 and it barely goes over my shoulder for carry, let alone allows me to actually use the rifle wearing it.

Can someone recommend a decent sling that doesn't cost the same as a small car that would fit a fat guy? I'm not planning on doing anything vastly strenuous with the rifle, but if all I ever did was stuff I planned this would be a darn funny world.

I realise there are -several- sling threads, but they don't answer the important questions for us high-BMI types: Does it fit? Can I bump fire with it?

Actually that last one is a joke, but why is it every bump fire video I see on youtube has some guy with a pendant gut in it?

·
Registered
14,916 Posts
You and I are probably pretty close in Wookiesm.....

I haven't found a better sling out there than the Blue Force Gear Vickers sling, of which there is an economy model called the Victory sling.

It's highly adjustable and I can wear it with a chest rig and I don't have any issues.

I've posted several threads on the one I use, if you do a search I'm sure they'll pop up.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, your threads had me sold pretty much already, but I figured I'd state it nice and plain :) I think I have a little more Hutt in me than you do, but it does look like Vickers is going to be my best bet.

Is this THE Vickers (as in WWI machine guns) or just a company with the same name?

EDIT: You recommend a particular vendor so I don't end up with a chinese rip-off? I'd like it in black or olive.

·
Registered
14,916 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rparker762 said:
I use a Specter Gear SOP 3 point sling and love it. I'm 5'11" and 360.

http://www.spectergear.com./sop_sling.htm

Just an option.....
I'm not huge on those "butt cup" slings, I've had one before (but not of that quality). Also, I find 3pt slings play merry hell with my moobs. Yes, moobs.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
The sling I have actually doesn,t cup the butt. I have a Romy side folder on my MAADI so I ordered the sling with the folding stock. I actually been looking at a single point sling more recently....

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rparker762 said:
The sling I have actually doesn,t cup the butt. I have a Romy side folder on my MAADI so I ordered the sling with the folding stock. I actually been looking at a single point sling more recently....
I have one of those for my AR...... I'm not sure I like getting whacked by the muzzle every time I move around too much. And if I bend over, the sucker gets awfully close to dirt, concrete etc.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
NCLivingBrit said:
rparker762 said:
I have one of those for my AR...... I'm not sure I like getting whacked by the muzzle every time I move around too much. And if I bend over, the sucker gets awfully close to dirt, concrete etc.
Where does the single point sling clip onto the AR? Even on a 18" barrel set up it should be nowhere near the ground. Are you clipping into the butt stock sling loop? Also a few companies make nylon retainers for traveling with the weapon slung, I have one from BHI, works good to keep the rifle at your side.

For the OP, try a bulgarian sling, there seems to be 2 sizes, short and long, find you a long one and you may be good.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm also right at 6'3" and top the scales at 280. I have a 55" chest so I'm always looking for gear that fits. The Vickers slings have plenty of adjustment and are nice.

Here are some slings that will fit you. In fact you'll have to trim them to fit.

And are inexpensive. Top quality sling

http://www.redimag.com/slings2.php[/url]

·
Registered
690 Posts
Okay, since we're on about "stuff that fits," what about web gear and load bearing equipment? I have a MOLLE trauma plate carrier that fits, but it's limiting in that it doesn't breathe worth a damn, so it's only comfortable from about mid-October to early May at best. Ideas?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Veer_G said:
Okay, since we're on about "stuff that fits," what about web gear and load bearing equipment? I have a MOLLE trauma plate carrier that fits, but it's limiting in that it doesn't breathe worth a damn, so it's only comfortable from about mid-October to early May at best. Ideas?
I have totally given up on that idea myself :) If it fits the chest, the gut makes a mockery of that fit. Plus, a big fat guy in tactical gear always makes me cringe a little..... Like those airsoft guys I used to game with who weighed 300lbs but dressed like they were in Special Forces on weekends.

Thanks for the link Lowspeedhighdrag, I might pick up a couple of those as gp slings..... I think I am sold on the Vickers for the AK and damn the price! Which is funny, as my AR has a $6.50 sling on it I got from gun papa :)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Templar said:
I've been very happy with my Specter Gear Mk.1 chest rig.

Fits any AK mag, vz-58, M16, FAL, G3, and M14 magazine.

I REALLY need to adjust mine lower. I have the Specter Gear M-1 Mk-2 and right now I have the sweetesr combat halter top. :goof: One of the best purchases I've made..

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My main problem with chest rigs is my lack of a flat place to site them. Between my manly moobs and big gut, I either end up smashing something flat or having the rig try and bend around me, which just ain't comfortable.

For the price though, that looks like a nice bit of kit..... Just not sure it'd suit me or not.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Vests

Ok, so I bought a V95 off a friend (a whim, it fit) which I'm learning to love (once the snaps wear in, getting those pockets open can be a three handed job right now).

I just bought a Specter M-1 Mk1 off of myaim from the trading forum, since I've pretty much reversed my opinion on vests (now it turns out I can fit into the bastards). It carries a little less than some of the other setups but the price was right and the pistol pouches will come in handy for other stuff.

So..... I was looking at something for bulk AK mag carrying and the M22 caught my eye......

http://www.redsoldier.com/RUSSIAN-TACTI ... tegory=454

But, how do I tell if it will fit. I googled for a conversion table but I'm not sure if I want shirt, coat or something else, all of which seem to be different! I'm a 54" chest/waist and broad across the shoulders, but the V95 fits fine with the top set of side straps all the way out and the bottom ones a little shorter.

Any big guys know if the V95 and M22 are close in size?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts