AK Rifles banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am attempting some debanning projects and would like to know the best/easiest way to remove these pins. I have not found any tutorials to help me here. What tools to use, Ect.

Thanks

· Registered
10,228 Posts
Assuming you have a good work area to support everything on such as a vice etc, all you need is a coupla punches. The pins are 3mm and the correct size punch doesn't grow on trees, so it's time for a lil effort.
Easiest way to modify punches to the proper diameter is chuck 'em up in a drill and spin 'em, use a file or Dremel to turn down the diameter.

Take a 1/8" punch that has been broken leaving approx 1/4" worth of straight section. Turn it slightly from the original diameter (1/8 = 3.175mm) down to just a hair under 3mm. Use this to get the pin started.

Once the pin has moved a lil bit, grab a regular length 1/8 punch that you've also ground down to under 3mm and drive the pin the rest of the way.

clear as mud?

:smile:

· Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Trueno said:
Assuming you have a good work area to support everything on such as a vice etc, all you need is a coupla punches. The pins are 3mm and the correct size punch doesn't grow on trees, so it's time for a lil effort.
Easiest way to modify punches to the proper diameter is chuck 'em up in a drill and spin 'em, use a file or Dremel to turn down the diameter.

Take a 1/8" punch that has been broken leaving approx 1/4" worth of straight section. Turn it slightly from the original diameter (1/8 = 3.175mm) down to just a hair under 3mm. Use this to get the pin started.

Once the pin has moved a lil bit, grab a regular length 1/8 punch that you've also ground down to under 3mm and drive the pin the rest of the way.

clear as mud?

:smile:
Does it matter which way to punch the pins out? Is there a good way to support the barrel and or FSB, gas block while doing so?

· Registered
10,228 Posts
CRIDEMM24 said:
Does it matter which way to punch the pins out? Is there a good way to support the barrel and or FSB, gas block while doing so?
No direction that I'm aware of, never noticed a difference one way or the other. I use the anvil section of a bench vise (NOT the jaws!), you'll know when you have it right by the solid feel of the first few practice taps.

As far as support on the FSB, just don't put any blocks under the ears so ya don't break one off. If you have to, lay the FSB so one edge of the anvil is just below the ear and the barrel section is flat on the anvil, then start with the shortened punch.

On the GB it's pretty hard to hurt one, just lay the barrel section and gas chamber both flat on the anvil. Once you get pins started with the short punch, it's a piece of cake from there.

t

· Banned
16,199 Posts
A common nail set is a good starter punch as well.,and then switch to a pin punch. Just an FYI the standard euro pins are 3mm. The Yugo are 2.5 or about .100" just to be clear. But not likely you are debanning a Yugo. Have fun.

· Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, so I got the pins out and am now ready to press off the FSB and gas block but what is the best metod of repressing back on the new gas block and FSB? Is there a jig for sale somewhere or other tricks? FYI, "my barrel is still on my receiver."

· Registered
2,360 Posts
CRIDEMM24 said:
Ok, so I got the pins out and am now ready to press off the FSB and gas block but what is the best metod of repressing back on the new gas block and FSB? Is there a jig for sale somewhere or other tricks? FYI, "my barrel is still on my receiver."
bake them at 300 degrees for 30 min "i got a infared toaster oven", i use my barrel press jig resting on vise jaws. use a brass bushing with a length of black pipe and a mallet just tap them right on . heating the componets almost makes them a slip fit and if you get a cant on them you can tweak a little too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.