AK Rifles banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I want to know how to best clean my SAM-5. Yeah I know I can clean it by throwing it into a live volcano...

I have some M-Pro 7 cleaning supplies around...would this be good? I've heard some rumors that the arsenal paint job is pretty fragile and can be removed with some common gun cleaners.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I have used M-Pro on my Arsenal w/o any problems. I think anything that is listed as non-toxic will be good to go.

·
Registered
14,915 Posts
I've heard good things about MPro, you should be good to go.

The fragile finishes are on the SLR series, not the M5 or M7 series.

I will say that I have seen ONE issue with the finish on a M5, a guy was using FP10, which is great stuff, but the gentle solvent action of the stuff did soften the finish on the receiver where the bolt carrier ran over, and the finish started coming off there.

Arsenal refinished the rifle for free.

·
Registered
14,915 Posts
If you mean Break Free when you say CLP, then I haven't run into any issues with people using it.

FP-10 is a type of CLP, better lubricating and also better solvent than Break Free, and that's the only issue (and I'm talking about 1 rifle here guys), that I've seen an issue.

·
Registered
297 Posts
That's the stuff Templar! I've used the Break Free CLP on a load of different weapons just because I have alot of it.

I've had no lube or cleaning issues, and no performance problems because of it.

I have tried the FP-10 and MPro and they seem just fine as well. I think all these products will work just fine if you do basic cleaning and maintenance of any firearm. Just my opinion.

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats all good news, I have a deluxe Mpro7 cleaning kit here I'd like to use, it works great on my other firearms...but none of my other firearms are painted like the arsenal..

why do they paint the arsenals?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Templar, I have been watching this thread for a while as I have just started to get into the Arsenal/Bulgarian AKs (have an SA M7 A1 coming at the start of next week) and was really concerned with the issue of damaging my finish with a solvent or cleaner. My question is: Do you think that they are applying an oven/heat cured finish to the M7/M5 series of rifles as opposed to the painted finish of the SLR series?

You made mention of the M5 above being attacked by FP-10 lubricant and it kinda makes me wonder if it would be a good idea to have it refinished with something a little more durable than the spray paint that Arsenal uses after something like that happened.

I am interested in hearing what you have to say about the M7/M5 finish and overall qualities of the rifles regarding accuracy, durability, quality of fit and finish, accessory availability and compatibility etc, etc, etc. Anything that you have to offer regarding this is greatly appreciated regardless of length.

In other words, I am all ears !

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Teutonic said:
Anyone use CLP? I've had no issues with that on firearm finishes of all types.

:grin:
i've used break free CLP to clean everything from a 155mm Howitzer down to my pop's .22 pistol and have never had any problems

break free CLP is all i ever used while in the army,.. and it all i use on my own stuff. break free CLP wont mess with the finish of a SA-M5 at all,. and it is safe to use on all plastic parts as well.

speaking of break free,...anyone know where i can get the gallon sized bottles / jugs of it?,..im down to my last two spray bottles.

i've heard good things about FP-10 as well,.. this is the first time ive heard it attacking a finish,... but i have never used it

·
Registered
14,915 Posts
Ok, once again guys, the M5 and M7 finishes are competely different than the SLR series.

The M5 and M7 finishes are baked on military grade enamel finishes, much like the finish on an IMI Galil or an FN made FAL or a HK 91.

They are phosphated underneath.

It's a very durable finish.

The FP10 has a cleaner in the formula, and when allowed to sit and sit and sit on a finish, it softened the baked on paint, in the most high-wear area of the rifle, on the rails.

Again, I've seen this on ONE RIFLE, and Arsenal refinished the rifle for free.

The Bulgarian military paint frankly sucks, but then, so does most of the Warsaw Pact and former Pact country's finishes.

Take a look at pictures of AK's that have been used around the world, almost all of them have the shitty paint worn off to bare steel.

The M5 and M7 finishes are fantastic.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Thanks for the information on the M7/M5 finish, Templar. Sorry if you are having to repeat old information for us "newbies". The information that you have provided is a comfort to those of us not yet familiar with the Arsenal/Bulgarian variants so that we know that we are getting a good rifle with a durable finish. Having had only a VEPR K prior to this, I was personally uncertain as to what to expect on my SA M7 A1 because of the unreliable information (and believe me, I've heard some real horror stories) being put out by those who have no interest in disseminating accurate information about the Bulgarian variants. Unfortunately, whenever I have called Arsenal to inquire about their products, they take a rather unfriendly tone with me and behave as if they don't want to be bothered with questions of any sort.

So, I would just like to thank you for making sure that we all know what we are getting into when we buy a M5/M7 series rifle. :smile:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Templar,

Thanks for all the info. couple questions:
1. FP 10 has a cleaning agent in it. So does break free clp, Mpro7 CLP, etc. Why would these not break down the pain similar to FP 10?
2. What is YOUR personal cleaning method for the SAM series?
3. Thanks for answering this anal questions. I wish Arsenal, INC would answer themselves so we did not need to bother you.

best regards.

Templar said:
Ok, once again guys, the M5 and M7 finishes are competely different than the SLR series.

The M5 and M7 finishes are baked on military grade enamel finishes, much like the finish on an IMI Galil or an FN made FAL or a HK 91.

They are phosphated underneath.

It's a very durable finish.

The FP10 has a cleaner in the formula, and when allowed to sit and sit and sit on a finish, it softened the baked on paint, in the most high-wear area of the rifle, on the rails.

Again, I've seen this on ONE RIFLE, and Arsenal refinished the rifle for free.

The Bulgarian military paint frankly sucks, but then, so does most of the Warsaw Pact and former Pact country's finishes.

Take a look at pictures of AK's that have been used around the world, almost all of them have the shitty paint worn off to bare steel.

The M5 and M7 finishes are fantastic.

·
Registered
14,915 Posts
No worries guy, and I didn't mean to come off like an asshole.

FP-10 to me is a better product than Breakfree, it cleans better and lubes better, so it's a little more aggressive than Breakfree.

If you want to use Breakfree, you should be fine, and it's a good CLP, I just think that FP-10 is the product improved version, I use it on machine guns because it keeps it's lubricity up to over 550' F.

I honestly use a dedicated solvent like Hoppes or usually Shooter's Choice. These are very aggressive cleaners and I DO NOT let them sit for very long on the finish before wiping them off. I then lube with Mili-Tech or Ballistol.

Mili-Tech is an awsome lube, but it's only an OK cleaner in my experience, and it does not inhibit rust on bare steel well.

Now, for my SLR-105, I clean it with Ballistol and also lube with it. Great stuff, just smells gawd-awful, and doesn't hurt the finish.

I use Shooter's Choice for the bore.

I also accept that I may loose some finish on the SLR, which doesn't really bother me since it's my hard use rifle.

Hope that helps.

Basically, anything you clean your Vepr with you can do the same with the M5 or M7 series, the finishes are very similar.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Templar, Actually that helps alot and I don't think that you came off as an asshole. You have probably had to answer these questions alot on other forums, if not, here, so I can understand your wording above.
Your comparison of the finish as being comparable to that of the VEPR gave me a better perspective as to how durable the finish on the M7/M5 series is and mentioning what you use for solvents and cleaners by name helps, too.
I recently got my SA M7 A1 and I have got to say that I really like it alot and will in all likelyhood get another one soon, probably an SA M7 Carbine.
Other than Arsenal's lousy customer service and dismissive attitude over the phone with me whenever I call them, they have an awesome product in the M7 series.
Thanks for your answers !!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts