AK Rifles banner

Best Rifle????

6K views 67 replies 39 participants last post by  Kenelm52 
#1 ·
I always see threads abou this, so I decided to give my 2 cents.

I've thought about it alot, and the best survival gun is a 22, second choice is 22 magnum...

I think there are so many scenarios, each one would be a different pick.

#3 ·
Best rifle? That depends. If I have the time to go to my gunsafe and pick out what I want: My VEPRK 7.62x39 :hail: , several mags, and an assortment of FMJ and hollow point ammunition. It does everything well: self protection from predators both two- and four-legged, hunting deer sized game, impervious to the elements and doesn't get temperatmental if it is not cleaned right away. If I am hunting and can't pick out what I want in anticipation for the next big emergency, then I guess it'll have to be my stainless/synthetic Winchester Model 70 :eek: in .30-06 with a 3.5-10X Leupold scope. Its been everywhere with me and I trust it. But that's just my opinion.

......Now that I've engaged in total heresy I'll take my leave ! :twisted:

#7 ·
I guess there are 3 ways to look at it:

1. Survival

2. Survival, possible Defensive Weapon

3. Survival/Offensive weapon

I know in each instance i would choose a different rifle. i love my ak, but i would rather have a 22lr in a pure survival mode..

#12 ·
I would hate to get into a scrap with a .22lr. It kills more people than any other caliber, but I would be money that it's only because it's so common.

I would wager that more people survive getting shot by .22 than any other caliber.

It would be just the thing thing for harvesting 'the other, other white meat', though.

#13 ·
22lr does have a few good points, cheap, lite, accurate, small, and not very loud.
But it has some drawbacks too. Wont go through anything, May take more than one shot to drop attackers or big game, no long range capability. And the latter are 3 things that I want in a shtf weapon. Now a small, preferably folding stock, 22lr of some sort would be a great gun to keep in your pack, for hunting small game. Shooting small, furry or feathered game with a .308 or 7.62 would end up very nasty and probably not very useful.

#15 ·
I dont think I would liketo hunt bird witha large bore rifle...Too much chance of a miss, However something like a 22 or 17. Would work because you can make a body shot and not damage too much meat, I have seen people hunt tuurkey with pistols, they shot them right above the legs throught the guts. But if I but out, I will not carry near as much pistol ammo as rifle ammo. So that will be for self defense. With a 22 or 17, I would feel more cofortable shooting a turkey, rabbit, squirrel or other small game, with less of a fear of demolishing the meat. In fact that may be my next rifle purchase....

#16 ·
In all reality, the best rifle is a shotgun.

Think about it, if someone is after you 00 buck will do the trick. 000 buck works against bears. #6 works perfectly for squirrels and #4 for turkey and such. Shotguns can be very accurate, even smoothbore, with slugs. Using sabot slugs out of my 28" Win 1300, I got 3 within a 2.5" group at 50 yards. They didn't turn sideways either.

The only bad thing is the weight of the ammo. Its a trade off.

#17 ·
Best rifle for me is a .223 (5.56) AK. Weight of ammo less than other rifles, with the right choice of ammo, it is a very effective round at ranges under 100 yards or so, everything I need, self-defense inside or outside, drop a deer with some good soft points if necessary. No ammo shortage of .223, although good 5.56 is getting harder to find.

#18 ·
Elokoman said:
Best rifle for me is a .223 (5.56) AK. Weight of ammo less than other rifles, with the right choice of ammo, it is a very effective round at ranges under 100 yards or so, everything I need, self-defense inside or outside, drop a deer with some good soft points if necessary. No ammo shortage of .223, although good 5.56 is getting harder to find.
My issues with a 5.56mm AK as a working gun are primarily with magazine and bolt availability for spares. Other than that the AK is a good platform for the 5.56mm.

#19 ·
Thekatar

got the magazine issue covered, agree it can be a problem for some,

as to spare bolts, yes, again I agree you are on to a serious issue with that one, not as many spares out there as 7.62 bolts,

on the other hand, in my opinion, .223 AKs are very good at what they do

#22 ·
For me, it is the 7.62x39mm and 7.62x54mmR.

The ammo is everywhere, I hear of shortages, but have seen none myself. $3 a box of 20 or $6 a box of 20 steelcore (Chinese) are the prices right now. I have about 1,000 in ammo cans. I have more than 1,000 of 7.62x54R, probably close to 2 or 3K, the exact number I do not know, but I have 760 rounds of non corrosive alone.

All the ammo and gun stores, just like in New Orleans, will be raided and destroyed if the SHTF. Do not worry about what ammo you CAN get, worry about what ammo you HAVE, as that will probably be all you can get.

#23 ·
Q-gunner2 said:
For me, it is the 7.62x39mm and 7.62x54mmR.

The ammo is everywhere, I hear of shortages, but have seen none myself. $3 a box of 20 or $6 a box of 20 steelcore (Chinese) are the prices right now. I have about 1,000 in ammo cans. I have more than 1,000 of 7.62x54R, probably close to 2 or 3K, the exact number I do not know, but I have 760 rounds of non corrosive alone.

All the ammo and gun stores, just like in New Orleans, will be raided and destroyed if the SHTF. Do not worry about what ammo you CAN get, worry about what ammo you HAVE, as that will probably be all you can get.
I agree, we all need to stock up while we can.

#24 ·
Greetings,

Just found this board due to the ... ahh ... turmoil at Gunco.

If you'll permit an opinion from a total nuubee on your board, Then I believe BigAL has it right as a general purpose answer.

True survival situation, you'll end up eating more sparrows, mice and small rodents than you will Moose or Deer, and more minnows than than Rainbow trout or 20 lb. Salmon.

.22 or .22 Mag. fill the bill of light weight, save meat on the small stuff, can be used on anything in North America if you absolutely have to. Indians and Eskimo have been using them for everything up to and including Polar Bear for many years.

Back in the '30's, Dana and Ginger Lamb traveled by kayak, canoe and afoot from Southern California to Northern Alaska to Guatemala. Living off the land and learning from the native people they encountered. They were the main contributors to the first real survival manual, The WWI Naval Aviation Survival Manual.

They did id all, including a nice Jaguar, with a Colt Woodsman and a good supply of .22 lr.

Survival self-defense? Umm, hiding is a better approach!
IMHO, of course, YMMV.

Regards,
:smile:

#25 ·
i think when the SHTF time comes, hiding and surviving is more important than going on the offensive. not that you shouldn't have an offensive weapon handy, buried or stashed someplace. initially it will be pure survival, the bigger guns come later..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.