AK Rifles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is best current option 4 trunnion engraving?

Been out of the loop for a while. What are my best options for getting a front trunnion re-engraved with a good Izhevsk logo and s/n? How about receiver selector markings (tula and Izhevsk)?

Thanks,
RSM

·
Registered
941 Posts
Your best option for a front trunnion is to get a real one. Even if it doesn't match or isn't from the same year as the rest of the parts, it's real. Real is real, and classy. Trunnions with bogus markings and numbers are a little bit more ghetto low-class than a $2 fake Rolex or a "Mitchell's Mauser".

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I understand and basically agree those sentiments. I have spent thousands of dollars over the years getting my builds as correct as possible. Unless you know where a 1959 or 1960 Izhevsk trunion is available, then I will have to fake it.

RSM

·
Registered
450 Posts
Or a 1985 Izhvesk trunnion, for that matter. I agree it WOULD be great to build one off an original, numbers-matching 1985 kit. Got one for sale? RGuns only has 1988 kits left. Marcus is entitled to his opinion same as anyone else, and I do agree it WOULD be nicer to have it that way. But on SOME projects, the option just isn't available and the idea of a mismatched jumble of parts being "better" is one that I disagree with (unless you are building a Kyber Pass clone, anyway).

But as far as these clones all being " a little bit more ghetto low-class than a $2 fake Rolex or a "Mitchell's Mauser", Marcus, are you saying that Tantal's 1985 clone here: Projects and exhibits Page 25 that Ted Marshall built for him is "ghetto"? Because if so, I'd really like to see some examples of YOUR work that puts his to shame so much. All original numbers-matching kits ARE great. No argument there. But not EVERYONE can find one for EVERY project, and not EVERY build has to be museum quality original. Honestly, NONE of these are anything BUT "clones" to one degree or another anyway, unless you are an 07 and can legally build one as a correct select fire rifle- and even then, unless you buy a registered NFA bring-back it still isn't all "original". So it's all a matter of degrees, and not everyone's priorities meet your standards. I'm not expecting you to change your mind about remarked trunnions or other inaccuracies, Marcus, but you don't have to be insulting about it- especially when your argument is based on not being "classy".

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Yes, I understand and basically agree those sentiments. I have spent thousands of dollars over the years getting my builds as correct as possible. Unless you know where a 1959 or 1960 Izhevsk trunion is available, then I will have to fake it.

RSM

:D

Speaking of Ted Marshall...is he still around? Can't access his website and haven't really seen anything from him in terms of people getting builds done lately. Contact info anyone?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Despite risking the scorn of Marcus, I decided to go ahead and do my own trunnion to (almost) match my receiver's s/n within one character, but as a 1985 Izhmach. I also did the bolt and bolt carrier. (The proof markings around the pin were on there when I bought it) I used a reference photo from a friend to get the correct sizes, spacing and fonts. It is not 100% perfect, but I am pretty happy with how it turned out and it beats the original 1985 Izhmach AKS-74 trunnion that I didn't have and couldn't find.

DSC06955.JPG DSC06956.JPG

1 - 8 of 8 Posts