AK Rifles banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just starting to read Charlie Wilson's War, and I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions for a good book on the Soviet-Afghanistan War. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

· Registered
1,556 Posts
Newaza said:
I'm just starting to read Charlie Wilson's War, and I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions for a good book on the Soviet-Afghanistan War. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.
I found a couple out of print books in the military section of Powell's here in Portland. I don't remember the titles but none of them were good enough to make me want to buy them.

I'm looking for one too... Kinda like the stuff Marco Vorobiev writes about his time in the Soviet/Afghan campaign... Although I'm looking for more detail about the actual political situation at that time and what was going on in the Soviet Union to cause them to want to battle it out with the Mujahideen in a foreign land.

If you find anything, let me know. I'll do the same.

Thirtycal

· Registered
2,213 Posts
outstanding idea OP, was at the used book store the other day looking for the same, irony :grin:

· Super Moderator
6,303 Posts
There is a good documentry on the History or Military Channel called "The Bear Trap" that is very good.

· Registered
2,557 Posts
I'm reading Ghost Wars by Steve Coll, right now. It covers History of CIA, Afganistan, and Bin Laden from the Soviet Invasion to Sept. 10, 2001.

Prior to that I read Jawbreaker by Gary Bernsten and Kill Bin Laden by Dalton Fury.

I wouldn't categorize them as a "best book" but they fill my need for a decent read.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.