AK Rifles banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Best Bulgarian AKS-74?

Hey guys,

I have been growing my AK collection and even though my primary focus is sub 16" bbl variants I also get what I stumble across for a good deal...

So my question... I bought an SLR-105 that had previously been sent to POHF (IIRC) to have the folding stock conversion and proper FSB/MB installed. The gun was then dressed in early Russian laminate, izzy stock and tourniquet/bandage. It is absolutely beautiful but me being a purist brings me to my decision...

Would the SLR-105 or a Bulgarian AKS-74 kit be the best route to having the most accurate/collectible Bulgarian version of the AKS-74?

I've read nothing but amazing reviews on the SLR and know it would make an excellent go to gun but just being honest I would much rather grab my 12" AK-105 as I feel the 74 is a long gun...

I'm quite aware the receiver plays a huge factor in the equation as the SLR is a "true" arsenal produced firearm but the gun itself was a ban model and has been modified to be what the AKS-74 kit is.

I also plan buying an early Russian AKS-74 (hopefully '83) kit with the cash I get from selling one of the aforementioned if and when I track one down.

Thoughts/Opinions?

Thanks,
Justin

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
Rguns has some Russian AK-74 kits.

·
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I plan on building one of those (RGuns kits) exactly how they were imported with fixed stock and plum furniture but all that I've seen are late 80s. I want a correct early model for the laminate and metal izzy folder.

·
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked out your thread, great pictures thanks for sharing! Makes me want to build an EG clone with Bulgy parts!

I guess I am unclear on the question you are answering, and realized my question may not have been clearly stated..

I plan on having one of each AKS-74, one Bulgarian with black poly furniture and one early Izzy with ventless laminates. I already have a Bulgarian AK-74 fixed stock and also plan on building one of the late plum izzy fixed stocks. I also have the SGL (AK-74m) to cover "modern" 16" ak-74.

My question is which would be the best to have as far as collection purposes goes for an AKS-74, the modified SLR-105 or an all original demill matching AKS-74 kit with original bbl built into a rifle on a 74ullc receiver?

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,182 Posts
My question is which would be the best to have as far as collection purposes goes for an AKS-74, the modified SLR-105 or an all original demill matching AKS-74 kit with original bbl built into a rifle on a 74ullc receiver?

Thanks!
Well, both have their problems, but the SLR will hold value better.

The SLR is Bulgarian, but the trunnion markings are newer style.

The kit route will have a US receiver.

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
Neither is the real thing because neither is a full auto. For me it's how close can you get to the real thing. I personally would rather spend my money on an AKS-74 kit with the original barrel and a 74ULLC receiver engraved to be just like they were. So much was done to your SLR-105 that I'd personally see it as less "authentic" than your other option. Reality is though that you could argue it either way.

·
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree with both views that's why it's a tough choice. I think the SLR is a better built gun, and the kit would be more close to the real deal. And I am a FFL 07 SOT 2 so it could be the real deal but I see no point in building 20 post sample AKs not to mention you have to cut it up and rebuild if you give up the license...

Looks like ill probably end up keeping both...

·
Registered
140 Posts
Everyone keeps saying that us reciever ak's are clones but if you think about it, bulgarian ak's are clones of russian ak's. Me personally, i would build what you want on a 74ullc reciever. I wanna rebuild my krink with one of his recievers buy thats only if I were to sbr it and that will only happen if I move.

·
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
So since I was contemplating selling the SLR-105r and had never fired it I figured I had better take it to our range and at least give it a chance to win its place in my safe....

Ash Shooting it
Me Shooting it at 300y
Link not working - go to http://www.youtube.com/justinmcmillion and click on the video there, dont forget to subscribe too!!!

After getting it sighted in and placing consistant shots on a silhouette at 300yards there is no way I can even consider selling...

So after shooting it not only did it win a place in the safe, I think it also found a place in my heart and soul....

Looks like Ill just have both! one big happy family!

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
Ash is awesome!

Do not sell this gun, the 105s are the best 74 clones ever imported in the US.

·
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ash is awesome!

Do not sell this gun, the 105s are the best 74 clones ever imported in the US.
Not going anywhere! I did however put some US plum Furniture on it when I brought it home to clean it up, I think it will be one of my new "shooters" as I was very impressed with how accurate and smooth it was!

Now I really need to get that early Russian AKS-74 kit so I can have another "safe queen"

I haven't had that much fun shooting a 16" BBL Semi Auto Rifle since my first AK!

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
If you want an early Russian 74, call rguns and ask if they have any more 83 dated kits. Fixed stock but you can find a smooth folder for it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts