AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have used tullammo 122 jhp on whitetail in MS they work but is there better for terminal ballistics, what do you use?

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
7.62x39 SP has been used for years with successful results...the Hornady rd. is, without any doubt, far more consistent in ballistics

·
Registered
69 Posts
154 grain Tula soft point seems to get good marks and is more consistent than most Tula, (per the conspiracy theorists).
Cheap enough to try out and if your rifle likes it, give it a try.

The Hornady offering is top shelf along with the Fusion ammo.

·
Registered
988 Posts
154gr soft points are more accurate than the other cheap Russian ammos in my experience but they also drop like a rock past 100 yards. I'd personally pony up for the SST though, same weight as standard bullets and you're not gonna do a mag dump on a deer after all.

·
Registered
69 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
I tried to see what kind of accuracy the Hornady SST gave, along with an assortment of the cheaper soft and hollowpoints, and for me at least the SST didn't group real good at 75 yards and further. Just about any grain softpoint from Tula/Wolf also grouped worse than I'd like at 75 yards and further. Some of the Holllowpoints grouped good for me though, and to date 124 grain Wolf Military Classic HP's have given me the best groups out of everything I tried, including the expensive brands. I still got a few silver bear hollowpoints but those don't shoot as good in mine as the MC. I just recently got some silver bear softpoints to try out, and after that maybe the brown bear softpoints, but if the silver bear sp's don't do it, then I'm most likely just going to end up with the Military Classics still shooting the best for me. That being said, the last 2 years I finally got some shots at deer, and I'm not sure what to think of the Military Classic HP's, effectiveness wise. Neither deer died right away. And I shot another time or two (last year 2), though the more I read up and hear from others about it, the more I'm convinced they would've expired shortly after, even without another shot.

How did the deer react to the Tula 122HP's for you? Instant death, or got back up, or didn't go down but jumped instead, etc. etc.?

·
Registered
22,589 Posts
APIT rounds to make sure you know you hit them, know that the bullet didn't deflect off any bones, and well slightly cook it so it's easier to prepare later. :twisted:

Reactions: Andyman

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The show they have been hit and USUALLY don't run further than 30 yards with good shot placement none of my shots being further than 50 yards

·
Registered
743 Posts
The show they have been hit and USUALLY don't run further than 30 yards with good shot placement none of my shots being further than 50 yards
I can't tell exactly how far they would've got had I not shot them again. 1st deer I shot at about 35-45 yards. First shot it jumped high in the air, tried to run off but could only walk it seems. Walked 10 yards, I shot another time, it took another step, then dropped. I'm guessing and for it's sake hoping, dead right then. Last year, I shot the deer at 30-40 yards, shot might have been a bit high, probably got lungs only, but anyways, it dropped right there, started kicking like it was just nerves twitching. It did that for 5-10 seconds, and then surprisingly got back up in a mad dash back the way it came, which fortunately was kind of towards me. I shot again as it was in mid run. Don't know if I hit it with that one though, it started climbing back up the hill and seemed to lose energy and kind of kneeled down almost, at which point I shot a 3rd time from maybe 15-20 yards away. It dropped again on it's side and kicked and that was that. The more I think and read up on it, the more I think they both were finished anyways, but the one last year I saw real late in the day so I didn't want to risk injuring it so it slowly suffered while I tried finding it. The one the year before, was my first deer, and I just shot it again cause I figured I had got nervous and shot bad. In both cases the bullets seemed to pass through, and didn't leave much of a blood trail.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I've only taken one deer with x39 with an SKS. My first deer, in fact. This was with Wolf SP ammo and I hit it the rump while it was running away from us. Nice wound channel all the way up its guts, which tore up one of the hind quarters, but didn't see that much in the way of a growing wound channel from an expanding bullet.

My guess is the HP and SP bi-metal offerings don't expand as rapidly or to as large a diameter as their lead and copper brethren.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've only taken one deer with x39 with an SKS, my first deer, in fact. This was with Wolf SP ammo and I hit it the rump while it was running away from us. Nice sound channel all the way up its guts which tore up on of the hind quarters, but didn't see that much in the way of a growing wound channel from an expanding bullet.

My guess is the HP and SP bi-metal offerings don't expand as rapidly or to as large a diameter as their lead and copper brethren.
I've been handloading as well as shooting various brands of commercial domestic an Russian ammo in the X39 for around 15 years. Your basic Russian x39 bullet is a steel jacket copper washed gliding metal bullet with a lead core that is not bonded to the jacket,there is no real difference between FMJ,SP or HP ammo except how the bullets tip is formed at the factory,for all intensive purpose after about 100 yds. it's all going to act like FMJ. From all my experimentation with various Russian type ammo cup an core separation if the bullet does expand any as the mild steel jacket basically fragments instead of the bullet holding together is pretty common or they expand very little or not at all. When they do function as intended they work great but it's not repeatable unless all the criteria related to getting it to preform as intend is always the same,otherwise it a crap shoot. If all you have is the Russian ammo keep the range as close as possible to allow the velocity to work in your favour.

If you don't handload or cast your own bullets and you just need a few good quality hunting loads on occasion just invest in a few boxes of commercial hunting ammo which has bullets designed to expand at 7.62 x 39 velocities. My personal choices for hunting handloads are the Hornady 123 gr. SP or 150 gr. Prohunter or my 165 gr. FP or 185 gr. RN cast bullets which although moving slower that the jacketed rds. kill deer just as dead as long as you do your part.

·
Banned
1,592 Posts
Get a .308 and hunt humanely.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I've had good luck with Winchester Power Points. At the very least the equal to the 30-30 killing power plus they are good to at least 225 yards, the farthest I shot a deer with one. Used PP's with a 16" Para SKS to take maybe a dozen deer over the years, mostly when I wanna use something less powerful than my bolts guns.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hornady SST is what I used for my 7.62x39. Killed three this afternoon. First doe was DOA after shot through the lungs. Second doe flopped for about a minute after making damn near the same shot in the lungs. Third deer I shot twice. First one was right in front of the stomach and the second one was in the right hind leg. This round absolutely devastated the deer. Three of the four shots exited and the wounds were awful looking. Everyone in my family laughed about me hunting with my AK but after seeing the deer they have stopped talking shit.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 47 Posts