AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I've been eyeing the Beryl Archer for a while and now I might be close to pulling the trigger on one. Please give me the Pro's and Con's. BTW, I already have an Arsenal 106 FR, SLR 106ur, VEPR 223 and a Saiga 223 waiting to be converted. I've always thought of this as a very unique AK variant and with the original collapsible stock and the scope rail it make a nice addition to my AK collection. The downside is the expensive mags (i'd have to buy at least 10 of them). Any chance of them importing the STANAG mag adapters for these Beryls?

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
As your probably aware, Royal Tiger has them on sale now.

Buy it. As you said it's an unique AK variant. Also, I may be wrong here, but I was under the understanding Circle 10 mags (which I assume you have a supply of) and Beryl mags are compatible. Which means you wouldn't necessarily have to stock too many Beryl mags if one didn't desire to do so.

Reactions: doodi1

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Sarge, thanks for the response. Yes, I have been eyeing the Sale's for Black Sunday. I have a total of 80+ Bulgy Circle 10 mags for my other 5 .223 variants. If the Circle 10's work, I'd rather buy another 10 of those because of the metal reinforcements, but they are $44 now and the green Beryl mags look pretty cool. Generally I buy 10 mags for every new rifle I buy (at least) so I will buy another 10 of some kind if I end up buying the Archer.

Are the pictures you posted above pictures of yours? Do you like yours? I have heard that some have the brake/flash suppressor pinned upside down. is this correct? How can I tell or avoid those ones?

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Sarge, thanks for the response. Yes, I have been eyeing the Sale's for Black Sunday. I have a total of 80+ Bulgy Circle 10 mags for my other 4 .223 variants. If the Circle 10's work, I'd rather buy another 10 of those because of the metal reinforcements, but they are $44 now and the green Beryl mags look pretty cool. Generally I buy 10 mags for every new rifle I buy (at least) so I will buy another 10 of some kind if I end up buying the Archer.

Are the pictures you posted above pictures of yours? Do you like yours? I have heard that some have the brake/flash suppressor pinned upside down. is this correct? How can I tell or avoid those ones?
That is my rifle. I like mine. It probably only has 200 rounds through it so far, but it's been 100% reliable so far. The muzzle device on mine was pinned upside down. There is a notch to the rear of the muzzle device that should be on the bottom... but is instead on top. It's not terrible obtrusive... but it bothered me enough that the rifle is at POHF getting the device turned upside right. I think all the Archers are like that.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
People on other forums say that the Gen. 2 (V2) Beryl Archer's have the muzzle device issue (and other issues with the Gen. 1) fixed. How do I tell the Gen.1 apart from the Gen. 2 (other than looking at the muzzle device)? Any other markings or things to look for?

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
People on other forums say that the Gen. 2 (V2) Beryl Archer's have the muzzle device issue (and other issues with the Gen. 1) fixed. How do I tell the Gen.1 apart from the Gen. 2 (other than looking at the muzzle device)? Any other markings or things to look for?
When most folks refer to Gen 1, they are referring to the first Archers that came in with a cheezy pseudo Tantal muzzle device and the wrong length barrel. A real goat f*** if you will.

The Gen 2 Archers have the correct* muzzle device and barrel length for a Beryl.

As you can see they are easily told apart.

*Lacks interior threading for blank device. Pinned upside down.

·
Premium Member
5,000 Posts
Big thing that has kept me out of them is the twist. 1 in 10 is less than ideal for the majority of the 5.56 ammo I have. I'd rather not buy lighter ball ammo to accommodate the rifle. Secondary on that list is the missing features like the left side selector. I looked at one pretty hard last summer but can't get by the twist.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Big thing that has kept me out of them is the twist. 1 in 10 is less than ideal for the majority of the 5.56 ammo I have. I'd rather not buy lighter ball ammo to accommodate the rifle. Secondary on that list is the missing features like the left side selector. I looked at one pretty hard last summer but can't get by the twist.
My understanding was the 1 in 10 twist rate was a Tiger/IO typo..... and that the actual twist rate was 1 in 9. If so the rifle will shoot 62 grain just fine. I don't shoot anything heavier than 62 grain.......YMMV.

When I get my Archer back I'll get off my dead ass and shoot some groups with 62 grain to see how it does.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
My understanding was the 1 in 10 twist rate was a Tiger/IO typo..... and that the actual twist rate was 1 in 9. If so the rifle will shoot 62 grain just fine. I don't shoot anything heavier than 62 grain.......YMMV.

When I get my Archer back I'll get off my dead ass and shoot some groups with 62 grain to see how it does.
I would assume it is, as the Beryl rifles are made for 62gr NATO spec ammo. I dont see why they would use a different twist barrel.

·
Premium Member
5,000 Posts
A range report would be great. Mac aka sturmgewehre did a video on the gen 1 archer where iirc his accuracy with 62 gr was sub par. I want one pretty bad but am not going to cater to it. I want something that will eat what I feed it and give acceptable accuracy.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
A range report would be great. Mac aka sturmgewehre did a video on the gen 1 archer where iirc his accuracy with 62 gr was sub par. I want one pretty bad but am not going to cater to it. I want something that will eat what I feed it and give acceptable accuracy.
I had one built from a Post sample, and accuracy with 62gr US NATO ammo was similar to an M4.

I bought a new import to simply shoot the cheap Russian steel cased 5.56... I will keep the expensive brass cased stuff for ARs, etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
As your probably aware, Royal Tiger has them on sale now.

Buy it. As you said it's an unique AK variant. Also, I may be wrong here, but I was under the understanding Circle 10 mags (which I assume you have a supply of) and Beryl mags are compatible. Which means you wouldn't necessarily have to stock too many Beryl mags if one didn't desire to do so.

so are these from Royal Tiger first or second generation?????????

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I had a gen 1 version but I couldn't get over the fact that it didn't look the way it was supposed to look so I sold it without ever firing a round out of it. Aside from the lack of the left side selector, the non threaded barrel, what other major differences are there with the gen 2 and a mil issue (aside from the obvious) Beryl?

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
The stock is the legit stock and what the current models (at least shown for export) have.. Sure, its not a folder, but its actually an improvement.

The earlier Polish civilian models did not have the selector either; I am guessing that Radom didn't want to have to re-engineer the trigger group from scratch, vs just using the "accepted" semi auto design.

The barrel work is easy, and one of the evils required in importation. Personally, I am not going to bother, as I don't want to have to refinish the gun and ruin the tradmark grain that is is in the receiver.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts