AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

· Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All.
Any of us who already have a form 1 know that under the current ATF it’s 6 months or longer to get approval. If you send your info in for a “free” tax stamp you need to know that after 80 days you’re going to get an automatic denial. Now 6 months is the current lead time for a form 1 approval. How long do you think the lead times going to be when 40 million people try to register these new “SBRs”. If they do decide to just deny your application you will have already incriminated yourself sending photos finger prints and address…..
Just sayin:

· Registered
5,295 Posts
AT and unconstitutional F ruling has finally gotten one legislator to follow their oath of office! While I doubt it will go anywhere, I can always hope that in my lifetime I will see the right to keep and bear arms no longer infringed.

· Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
West Virginia vs. EPA.
That’s right. Government agencies are not allowed to make law! One of the reasons I posted this is to make people think twice before sending pics and fingerprints to this gaggle of assholes.. It’s most likely going to be struck down. Then what. They have all of these pictures and addresses.
At the rate they move now it would take 18 years for them to process all of these pistols. At the same time they’re telling us you’ll be denied after 80 days. Either very poorly thought out, or a trap. That’s my opinion

· Registered
122 Posts
The longest wait on any of my E-form 1's in the past few years has been 2 1/2 months .......shortest was 3 weeks

The background check "timeout" has always existed ...... nothing new....

Lots of people completely unfamiliar with the NFA process have some learning to do

· Registered
23,516 Posts
Why is there a cutoff point anyway? The only NFA item that can no longer be produced are machine guns. Suppressors, SBS, SBR, AOWs can be new production and can be registered at any time.

Reactions: Wmslm and jrsuds

· Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ya it’s weird. The video from Gand G interviews a lawyer from shot show. Who talked to an ATF agent there. Sounds poorly thought out. I think they did this to see if it would get shot down. If the courts don’t slap it down that will set a precedence and the ATF will go and make whatever they want illegal.

· Registered
1,495 Posts
Too late, already "crimminalized".
Everything from this point goes on the Crime Tab.

· Registered
183 Posts
First of all. I like the GOA. I'm a member and I support them.

But that 88 day thing doesn't make sense. I have had, and currently have numerous Form 4s that take nearly a year to come back. They didn't deny me at 88 days.

Second of all, I have registered SBRs. As soon as this rule was brought up, I seperated my pistol lowers from the uppers. Now these uppers are perfectly legal with my registered SBR lowers. So there is no felony to prosecute. Remove the brace. Destroy it, discard it. Once the F1 comes back nobody wants to use a crappy brace over a real stock.

Third of all, the ATF does not have the manpower to go after the 10% of the 40 million people that might file the form 1s even if they wanted to.

· Registered
3,581 Posts
First of all. I like the GOA. I'm a member and I support them.

But that 88 day thing doesn't make sense. I have had, and currently have numerous Form 4s that take nearly a year to come back. They didn't deny me at 88 days.

Second of all, I have registered SBRs. As soon as this rule was brought up, I seperated my pistol lowers from the uppers. Now these uppers are perfectly legal with my registered SBR lowers. So there is no felony to prosecute. Remove the brace. Destroy it, discard it. Once the F1 comes back nobody wants to use a crappy brace over a real stock.

Third of all, the ATF does not have the manpower to go after the 10% of the 40 million people that might file the form 1s even if they wanted to.
Perhaps a factor is that you don't have possession of the NFA item during that wait time.

· Registered
183 Posts
Perhaps a factor is that you don't have possession of the NFA item during that wait time.
This is all addressed in the paperwork. The only YouTube advise is trust on this is from the Washington Gun Law channel, and has multiple videos on the subject.
Exactly right. Remove the brace and destroy the brace. Separate the upper and lower if possible (in my case, I'll put it on a registered SBR). If it's something like an AK, remove the buffer tube or other brace attachment point.

You no longer have the configuration that the ATF is determining is an SBR.

· Registered
6,115 Posts
Again, this dude is not a lawyer. The section they quote is in the middle of the 300 pages where the ATF spends the majority of the report addressing comments that were submittted from the comment period. The ‘final rule’ doesn’t start until after that. This is all moot anyway because of Ex Post Facto, if you don’t know what that is go back to seventh grade. If you could even find a prosecutor that’s looking to sink his career over this, a judge would throw it out immediately. I’m starting to believe some people are down to their last two brain cells, and they’re fighting for 3rd place.

· Registered
1,290 Posts
Hey All.
Any of us who already have a form 1 know that under the current ATF it’s 6 months or longer to get approval. If you send your info in for a “free” tax stamp you need to know that after 80 days you’re going to get an automatic denial. Now 6 months is the current lead time for a form 1 approval. How long do you think the lead times going to be when 40 million people try to register these new “SBRs”. If they do decide to just deny your application you will have already incriminated yourself sending photos finger prints and address…..
Just sayin:
That's the question: How could ATF possibly handle the registration of 40 million braced guns? There are two different motives here: They will either use it as an excuse to increase ATF staffing (which would be by several hundred percent), and/or it will be used to chase down those who have a braced gun. Either way, it looks like a big trap for law abiding citizens.

However, the biggest question is this: This ruling will have a huge impact on gun owners and the gun parts industry, so have there been any studies made to find out if braces are a problem? It would be prudent to back up a ruling like this with a background study. IIRC, the ATF justified their previous 80% ban by saying that they had found less than ten 80% builds at scenes where crimes were committed, and I suspect the brace ruling was justified the same way. It all sounds like Don Quixote attacking the windmills.

· Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No doubt
That's the question: How could ATF possibly handle the registration of 40 million braced guns? There are two different motives here: They will either use it as an excuse to increase ATF staffing (which would be by several hundred percent), and/or it will be used to chase down those who have a braced gun. Either way, it looks like a big trap for law abiding citizens.

However, the biggest question is this: This ruling will have a huge impact on gun owners and the gun parts industry, so have there been any studies made to find out if braces are a problem? It would be prudent to back up a ruling like this with a background study. IIRC, the ATF justified their previous 80% ban by saying that they had found less than ten 80% builds at scenes where crimes were committed, and I suspect the brace ruling was justified the same way. It all sounds like Don Quixote attacking the windmills.
I’m not so sure it’s a trap… it sure looks like it.
. I think it’s just blatant incompetence. They like things to be ambiguous so there’s all kinds of grey areas for them to operate in. I honestly think they’re putting their toes in the water to see if they get away with this to set precedence. Then they can decide to ban whatever they want.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts