Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shooting your AK underwater

Interesting to see the gas vent out of the gas tube

·
Registered
560 Posts
It seemed to eject the casing, I wonder how reliably it would cycle with a full mag.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Hmm Well, just because somebody else did it don't mean I'm trying it. I'd probably try a Glock under water though (and have the spring cups for it I think). I've heard that an AR 15 will explode if you shoot it under water. Maybe I've heard a lot of things. Wonder if Mythbusters has tried this stuff?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Hmm Well, just because somebody else did it don't mean I'm trying it. I'd probably try a Glock under water though (and have the spring cups for it I think). I've heard that an AR 15 will explode if you shoot it under water. Maybe I've heard a lot of things. Wonder if Mythbusters has tried this stuff?
Most guns will fire underwater, the issue comes down to how robust the action/barrel is and the pressure of the round. At the end of the day you're creating a barrel obstruction by shooting them underwater. If you compare the AK to the AR one can note two (if not more) variables; 1st is ammo, the 7.62 Rusky has a SAMMI pressure spec of ~45,000 psi, while SAMMI for 5.56 NATO is ~55,000psi. 2nd is the build of the gun, as we're all aware the AK's steel receiver bends and contorts under pressure, the AR on the other hand has two aluminum receivers, and while it's obvious aluminum isn't as strong as steel, the aluminum alloy used for most ARs is also more brittle. That being said there are still videos of ARs shooting underwater.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.