AK Rifles banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always heard how cold the soldiers was in Bastone. I was just wondering is there documentaion of the temperature of Bastone dureing the time the Airborne was defending it . I lost my duffel bag while on manuevers in Germany dureing the winter and for two days I like to froze to death. My bag got mixed up and went with another platoon. It had my sleeping bag and dry clothes in it. It rained and I got real misable really quick. I managed to get a wool blanket to wrap up in at night. While my being cold isn't anything to compair to the brave men in Bastone... It just brought up memories of what happend to me on December in 1986 in Southern Germany.... WarDawg

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
I don't know but that was a pretty cool show the way it was re-created.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MrKrink said:
I don't know but that was a pretty cool show the way it was re-created.

LOL.... Thats what I just watched...... Pretty good history lesson... WarDawg

·
Registered
715 Posts
I can't find an answer on the Net either, .................but, I know a Veteran who said it snowed almost constantly....so, that would be somewhere around 32, +/- a few degrees.

Living for extended periods in the woods, even at 40-degrees, with adequate clothing just plain ?S##ks?, as I recall from long duration E&E exercises I did in Europe, not far from there. Was it The Russian Front?s ?25 degrees??..No.

The reality of ?Cold?, however you define it, only adds to their valor.
:smile:

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
from a search....

ENVIROMENT

The capital, Luxembourg City, is centered in southern Luxembourg, 294km (183mi) east of Paris, 190km (118mi) southeast of Brussels and 176km (110mi) west of Frankfurt. Northeast of the capital, the M?llerthal region is Luxembourg's 'Little Switzerland', an area of predictable charm and renowned (if only nationally) recreational possibilities. Just east of the capital is Luxembourg's portion of the Moselle Valley, known for its vineyards. The northern third of the country - famous as part of the Ardennes plateau, the scene of the 1944-45 Battle of the Bulge - is called the Eisl?ck or Oesling and is composed mainly of densely forested highlands, peppered with medieval castles like Esch-sur-S?re and Bourscheid. The southern two thirds of the nation - known collectively as Gutland, or the 'Good Country' - is dedicated mostly to farming and viticulture and is covered in rolling hills and patches of forest. At its southernmost end, a narrow swath of red soil belies the country's once vast iron ore deposits and aging steel industry in what's known as the Minette, or the 'Land of the Red Earth'.

The highest point in the country is in the Eisl?ck region, but at 555m (1823ft) it's nothing to plan your trip around. Nearer to the capital, the hills average around 270m (900ft). The four most important rivers are the Alzette, the Moselle, the Our and the S?re, but there are many lesser streams and channels too. The Moselle was canalised in 1964 and links the Grand Duchy to larger European waterways.

In a country this small, it's no wonder the climate doesn't vary much from one end to the other. The surprise is that it doesn't vary much between seasons either. Luxembourg enjoys mild temperatures most of the year, with warm summers and cool winters, slipping down to the low chillies only between November and February and very rarely dipping below freezing. The sunniest period is from May to August, when temperatures average around 20?C (68?F) during the day and 10?C (50?F) at night. April and September tend to be sunny as well. The Ardennes often have snow all winter, when the sun shines only a few hours per day. Rainfall is spread out pretty evenly throughout the year, averaging one good showering every three days.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Coincidently I just watched that episode of the Brothers in Arms DVD set. Amazing what they went through.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I don't know the actual temps, but from what I've read, that winter was one of the coldest there on record.

The "Band of Brothers" is awesome!

John

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
those guys where tough sob's....i worked with a guy that lost some finger tips and parts of his toes due to frostbite in bastone...he's a crazy old coot!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts