AK Rifles banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've got a brand-new Bass Pro Shop opening here tomorrow (Wed); I've never been in another one, and this looks like a great place. What are your experiences with Bass Pro Shops ? DO they have alot of sales ? How are the prices: good/bad/too high/just right ?
What do we have to look forward to here? While it seems to be a huge store, I am told that it is one of the smaller ones. :shock:

·
Registered
943 Posts
We have one pretty close by. Its a nice place to go every once in awhile to browse around. Ours is YOOOGE. I took my CCW course there. Their prices are on the waaay high side for a lot of shooting stuff. Especially the reloading section. Plus, the folks behind the counter dont know their asses from a hole in the ground. I was there one time and there was this elderly couple there looking for a handgun to use for bear protection on hikes (I live in the Rockies). Idiot behind the counter was recommending a 9mm!! :shock:

I wanted to say something but I pussied out.

G

·
0 Posts
high prices, dont go there to buy anything but if you want to browse...its a nice place to go! prices very HIGH!

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On everything ? Just ammo? Just guns?
If prices are high on everything, I hope that they have alot of sales! I did notice that there was no "grand opening" sale flyer in the Sunday paper for them.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I think they steal their staff from Wal-Mart. If I'm going to go into a store and pay prices that are sometimes above MSRP I expect to receive expert advice. Cool place to browse, though, and occasionally you'll find something on sale for a decent price (bought my Bitzenburger arrow fletcher there for about $50).

·
Registered
8,007 Posts
I used to go to the one in Springfield, MO, just to look at the aquariums, etc. But almost everything in there is so high there's no point of having the store. Great displays, horrible prices. Sadly, over the last 15 years, they've lost their focus and have catered more to the "city" sportsman who has $$$ and only buys big name-brands. They've resorted to doing anything to get people into the building to buy stuff now.

Completely a personal, biased opinion. Others may find Bass Pro Shops a beautiful, perfect slice of inexpensively-priced heaven. :lol:

·
Banned
344 Posts
Where i live all there was is Dicks which is useless, 2 yrs ago we got a
Sportsmans Warehouse, and the first time there i thought i went to heaven,did buy 3 high-end guns there in 4 months!
Last yr. i went to Bass-Pro shops for the first time, and Sports. Ware. is
like comparing a VW bug to a Rolls -Royce.
The have anything and everything for hunting, fishing and camping, the place is awesome anything from fish. hooks to boats and 4-wheelers.
You can get lost in there, i drive there 3-4x a yr. at 130 miles one way, just to look and browse!
They have a huge gun store, both rifles and pistols, no ARs or AKs or any Mil-surps, their gun prices are better than at gunshows or at least the stuff
I like and a lot of times the have certain ones on sale at the lowest price or equal to the best available, in my case i spend almost $1000. an ammo
alone in 3 visits, since on what i need, they were cheaper than anybody else by $4.-5 a box $20. compared to $24.-$26. elsewhere! I love the place and will drive 130 miles in a few weeks again just to browse!
Just be rested up when you go and try not to go on the weekend!
At least you know and see the latest products available!
All their guns that i am familiar with are fairly priced and some really good compared to many dealers!
LIke anywhere sometimes some things are cheaper at 1 place than another while others are more expensive. What i always try to do is to comparison shop for a certain gun and sometimes you get the best deal where you least expect it ! :hail:

·
Registered
495 Posts
Our Bass Pro sucks. Their prices are about the same as Cabela's on guns-which is a bit past insane.
IIRC their ammo was better priced than the average local gun store.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I got an awesome deal on a couple 10/22s from them but they were on sale.. I think I paid $149 each for them...

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
red_metallic said:
It's the only place I've found with a decent selection of giant fishing lures.

Now that's thinking positively ... :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I've bought a few guns from the Hampton, Virginia store when they had a special running, but their prices are usually higher than those on the net. Nice place to browse. My 5 year old grand son likes the huge aquarium and indoor shooting gallery. :cool:

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I go to the local one periodically.

The backpacking gear is overpriced. The firearms and ammo are also overpriced.

The surprising thing is the amount of clothing and other stuff they sell. I was surprised at how big that type of inventory is.

I was happy with something they did for me recently. Since I my schedule is so screwy, I had them send a rifle back to Ruger for repair for me. They did this without a problem.

·
Registered
495 Posts
red_metallic said:
It's the only place I've found with a decent selection of giant fishing lures.

Hell, screw fishing. I'd just mount the lure on my wall. :lol:

·
Registered
897 Posts
Well the closest one to me is a little over an hour away. So I rarely go there. I'd have to say they've got a pretty good selection, but way to pricey when compared to other resources.

·
Registered
736 Posts
From what I hear, they refuse to have anything to do with "assault weapons." :roll:

·
Registered
897 Posts
Barrelburner said:
From what I hear, they refuse to have anything to do with "assault weapons." :roll:
At least Academy sells M4's. They've got my seal of approval on that!!

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was in there yesterday and don't remember seeing any AR's or AK's but when I left the gun dept I felt like I needed to roll over and smoke a cigarette ... They do carry alot of stock. The handguns did seem to be a bit overpriced.
VERY unique store, though.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Bass Pro caters mostly to the hunting crowd. Their ownership and management seem to think hunting is the only legimate reason to own a firearm. I used to go in the Springfield, MO store often and what was once a large selection of handguns shrank down to mostly single-action revolvers and few other handguns. May have changed, I don't shop there anymore.

The Las Vegas store has a decent selection of handguns so they may have expanded their inventory now. Prices are WAY too high.

The Las Vegas Bass Pro does transfers but refused to do one for an AR-15 for a guy I know. The response was, "we don't allow those kind of guns in the store".

The Vegas store does not allow CCW licensed carry nor do they allow open carry which is legal in Nevada.

There are a lot of more gun-friendly businesses to do your shopping in. I wouldn't buy from Bass Pro unless I had no other choice.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts