AK Rifles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a kit built a few years back by a builder in my state.. (not going to name him yet) the build looked fine to me...rivets were seated and rounded nicely. Everything looked straight and true. Recently showed to a guy I know who is extremely nitpicky with anything firearm related...he spots thing I'd need a magnifying glass to see. Anyway, he says that the barrel retaining pin in the front trunion looked beat to hell. He says that it should of been installed using a press but looks like it was hammered in using a punch. I honestly know nothing about what's correct or not but now it's bothering me that a "reputable builder" may have cheapened my rifle. Is this normal or did the builder do something he shouldn't have?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not yet. The pin does look pretty dinged up. Pretty obvious that some sorta punch was used. It was never an issue for me as everything functions fine but the guy that made me aware of it didn't think that a reputable builder should of used this method. I don't know either way. Is it normal to use a hammer and punch to seat the pin?

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts
It may have been done when the kit was demilled. They use the fastest and cheapest methods and often use air hammers to remove pins and rivets etc.
A few dings on the barrel pin are not generally a big deal., but depends on the severity of the divots etc.

·
Registered
8,434 Posts
I think it's safe to say that no "real" AK factory in the world uses anything but a press to install the barrel pin, but it is a common (wrong) practice here in the U.S.

If you were happy before and the damage is only cosmetic, just drive on. Dress it up with some Dremel work if you must.

Personally, I'd feel very foolish trying to complain to the assembler after several years had passed.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not planning on complaining...just want to know whats correct and what's not and what kind of work should be acceptable from a builder that does it for a living.

·
Premium Member
13,774 Posts
Recently showed to a guy I know who is extremely nitpicky with anything firearm related...he spots thing I'd need a magnifying glass to see.
This is part of the problem. Honestly I hate guys like this. The guy that overanalizes things that are not. I can't even count how many times ive heard people ask if something is wrong with their AK because it's not 100% perfect. It seems that us Americans are the only people that expect a AK to be perfect. No AK is perfect. Most of then are built on the ground with nothing but a hammer and a screwdriver.

Posting pics would be nice but I would worry much about it as long as the pin isn't beat into the trunnion with a 15 pound sledgehammer and shows it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Let me start off by saying this..I'm embarrassed to have started this thread because, the builder is a really good guy and I should of contacted him before complaining. I've seen people talk crap about various builders and vendors too many times before ever speaking to them first and now I'm kinda guilty of it myself. The builder read this thread and pm'd me and even though it's been several years since he built this particular ak, he has offered to take care of any issues I may have with it. This is the kind of business I would gladly spend my money with. This time I am going to name the builder. ..not in anger but praise. He's Ken Kubin of Global gunsmithing in Farmington Michigan. I've visited with Mr. Kubin on several occasions and I can definitely say he knows his stuff, is a patriot, a good man, and stands behind his work.

·
Premium Member
13,774 Posts
Let me start off by saying this..I'm embarrassed to have started this thread because, the builder is a really good guy and I should of contacted him before complaining. I've seen people talk crap about various builders and vendors too many times before ever speaking to them first and now I'm kinda guilty of it myself. The builder read this thread and pm'd me and even though it's been several years since he built this particular ak, he has offered to take care of any issues I may have with it. This is the kind of business I would gladly spend my money with. This time I am going to name the builder. ..not in anger but praise. He's Ken Kubin of Global gunsmithing in Farmington Michigan. I've visited with Mr. Kubin on several occasions and I can definitely say he knows his stuff, is a patriot, a good man, and stands behind his work.
Now that is a good builder that cares about our hobby and customer service. I don't recall anybody in this thread saying that you should send it back or questioning the builders work so it didn't come off as a "bash the builder" kind of thread.

Personally if it shoots fine and it's not beat to hell then I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I'm a grown man so I should of never let some jerk get me worked up about nothing. I was happy and content before. Anyway, I may still have him take a look at it as I'm going to see him about some other work.

·
Premium Member
13,774 Posts
We've all been there. It's a learning process.

Im glad that you started this thread. Its nice to see a builder that stands behind his work and wants to make customers happy. Even if it is a few years later. I can honestly say that I haven't heard of that kind of customer service in along time. Kudos to Ken at global gunsmithing!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts