AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i still have hopes of building a 1976 era AKS74 rifle. Been saving parts in a card board box for years. I put back an E German barrel for the project due to their non-drilled gas port. Recently i picked up a couple of AK Builders barrels that dont have gas ports. So is there any value to using the E German barrel or use the AK. Builders and sell the E German?

·
Premium Member
1,292 Posts
That's a hard one, the EG barrel would raise the value of the build, but it would raise the value of an EG AK74 build much more. Not really familiar with the barrel profile on the early 74s, but would it make more sense to use a barrel off a saiga or vepr?

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Jerry,

I used E.German barrels on my
early 74 builds (most recently the 76 you saw). I still have my 75 to build and If I still had any E. German 74 barrels that’s what I personally would choose.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know the LHR journal on the E German is different. Been a while since i have looked at the EG, i do t remember about the other journals.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Saiga and a VEPR barrels will have drilled gas ports, makes the build a PITA and not very conducive to easy cleaning.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Very nice

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Thanks guys. Nick, your are correct they were rebuilt on different receivers and a few more correct era parts were added.

Jerry’s builds always end up epic and eagerly await the enjoyment of viewing his completed rifle.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I held off building in hopes of locating the correct stock trunnion, but if Brendyn starts taking work ill have it built on a modified 5.5mm trunnion with shortened arms

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I dont think so

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
He told me to start building my own

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tony do you know if they stamped the serial number on the muzzle break on all rifles made in 1974

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Jerry,

I wish we had more detailed pictures of the examples that are out there. We have seen the serialized muzzle brake on the 74 that member ptica provided years ago. There are several examples (early 74’s) in his book, but no detailed pictures. Hopefully ptica can shed some light on the subject. We do know that it seems the early 74’s did serialize the muzzle brakes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts