AK Rifles banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Okay,. True some of that. Robert Forbus is a great guy and you aint got to go the X Files for his expertise. Go to his web site. Call him. I talked to him recently. Are these recent pics of barrels? Always go for the Polish over Romy anytime. Oh Damn, prejudiced I am. Good pics. Strong and um Free,

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
IMHO for collectibility Combloc over US barrels.
Russian > Romanian old profile Y stamp > Romy old profile no Y > Polish > new Romy > US.

For shooting Polish and US will have the best overall accuracy. The Polish, new Romy, and US will have a feed ramp cut in which didnt appear on Russian Rifles until the 70s. Polish and US cut the handguard retainer slot differently as well. Old Romys have the heavy lathe lines that hearken back to the rough Soviet machining. Anecdotally the new Romys have some accuracy issues.

The Y stamp is a proof in addition to the journal numbers. Three different Y stamps can be found: Izzy, Tula, and Romy, though some debate that.

I've found enough virgin Y stamps and no Y to do almost all my Russian builds but the last one, a 62 Tula. Been trying to find another old Romy for it for months and months but no luck. I have a clean Romy G pulled barrel I may have to use if I can't find a virgin in time.

For your '68 Izzy, Childers is a great choice. 👍
I've diligently searched for a Russian AKM barrel for 3 years. I saw a rough one come up for $2,500 from Apex on an Egyptian kit. Vlado miraculously finds them on occasion and uses them for his amazing builds but I can't ever seem to find one. 😢
2 days in and I’ve heard the name Vlado come up multiple times. Looking forward to seeing this guys build

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Big question for you is, do you want to put a lot of time, effort, and money into making it as historically accurate as possible for a kit or do you want to build a badass Russian shooter? Both would clearly be best but harder to complete with the available barrels. I have plenty of shooters so my Russian kits get as historically accurate as is humanely possible. Plus I love the minutia and details and recreating the original is just fun.

Some great info from RForbus on the files.

"The Fabryka Broni (Polish) AKM barrels. Very nice and consistent. Straight bores and concentric exteriors within small normal limits. They do not follow original AKM profile if that is critical such as for a Russian build where the goal is authenticity. The Romanian barrels. Decent and correct to the original contour but with horrible threading that can never be trusted.

Ak-Builder? Straight bores and concentric exteriors within small normal limits. Excellent control of threading, diameter consistency, and contour TIR. Correct profile for their AKM offering.
The handguard retainer keyseats of the Fabryka Broni unit have a rounded termination produced by an endmilling cutter and not the washout termination produced by a disk cutter. The breech journal of the Fabryka Broni barrel has a slight taper for several millimeters in order to clear the ridge on the turning guide (most of the time it will) instead of a turned step and chamfer. These features can be "corrected" with careful machining in order to mask the original cuts. None of the small differences change the function or assembly steps though."

Some reference pics I took comparing an FB and old Romy

FB has broader application of chrome
View attachment 342950
Note the feed ramp on the FB and full circumference of chrome. Also the recess around the edge of the Romy
View attachment 342951
Retainer slot differences with the Romy washout on the right.
View attachment 342949

The Romy muzzle is concave ve the nearly flat FB.
View attachment 342948

FB smooth vs Romy lathe lines
View attachment 342947
Thank you bud. At the end of the day this will be a shooter and not live its life in a safe. The polish FB barrel is nicely machined, but I would like to stick with one that has the correct AKM profile. Can you recommend one from Ak builder?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Thank you bud. At the end of the day this will be a shooter and not live its life in a safe. The polish FB barrel is nicely machined, but I would like to stick with one that has the correct AKM profile. Can you recommend one from Ak builder?
The only AK-Builder barrel I have I got 13 years ago for a late 60s MD63. Thousands of rounds and it is in excellent shape. It was the first one that pops up on his site, 16".

Vlado has 8 different posts just on the first page of this sub-forum. Scroll down and look for his name. He's a huge asset for the forum with vast amounts of knowledge on AK related topics. Great guy.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
The only AK-Builder barrel I have I got 13 years ago for a late 60s MD63. Thousands of rounds and it is in excellent shape. It was the first one that pops up on his site, 16".

Vlado has 8 different posts just on the first page of this sub-forum. Scroll down and look for his name. He's a huge asset for the forum with vast amounts of knowledge on AK related topics. Great guy.
I checked out some of his rifle, some of the late 50s and early 60s are stunning, but he’s a popular guy and not allowing to look at his profile.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I believe '68 is the first year for the Bake magazine. Not sure which one, but I haven't dug into the Russian vault here yet for more details...
Production of AG4 mags started in 1962, but was limited at first. By 65 things were picking up speed and the various "long top" mags were being produced in quantity. By 1968 "short top" bakes of various flavors were in mass production.

·
Registered
253 Posts
It's double the price because CO Gun Sales is now the only importer of Cugir barrels, so they can charge an arm and a leg for the 222 journal stamps. They also make gunbroker auctions where they usually sell for less than $260. I'd try that route first if you're set on a Romanian barrel.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
It's double the price because CO Gun Sales is now the only importer of Cugir barrels, so they can charge an arm and a leg for the 222 journal stamps. They also make gunbroker auctions where they usually sell for less than $260. I'd try that route first if you're set on a Romanian barrel.
Are these Romanians the correct profile compared to the polish? Do the hand guard cut outs matter?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Are these Romanians the correct profile compared to the polish? Do the hand guard cut outs matter?
I am not a barrel expert but I believe these Romanian barrels have the correct-profile that the Polish barrels lack, but ultimately, every barrel on the market today is quite a bit different from what the Soviets made in 1968.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Here’s some good info on the barrels.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Here’s some good info on the barrels.

Thanks just what I needed

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Russian parts that aren’t painted are phosphate coated which is grey. The painted parts have phos under the paint from factory.

Romy and early polish AKM are blued, as are most Chinese I think ?

Your going to buy a kit I assume, piecing one together would be a pain in the ass, and probably more expensive vs kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

21 - 40 of 43 Posts