AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies if this isn’t the correct place for posting this.

I’m currently tracking down period correct parts for my ‘68 Izzy build. I will be using Childers for the receiver and Troy Sellers for the builder. My goal is to source the most historically accurate parts as possible. I will be adding parts/accessories I am unsure of to this thread with hopes you guys can educate me on the right decisions.

The barrel- I understand Russian is the gold standard, but if I’m not able to find one is a virgin Romanian my best option? Particularly a journal stamped 16.25” Cugir barrel with 14-1 LH twist?

The sling- I see a lot of shops using Izhmash in a loose way to market their slings. I believe im looking for a single hook metal either painted or bare with black stamping, however is OD green or mustard/tan the color I should be looking for?

·
Registered
262 Posts
As for the barrel, a Romanian barrel or an ak builder CHF CL barrel will be closest. Each barrel has their pros and cons. As for the sling, it really depends. I have a really nice ‘69 sling for sale with white lettering, bare metal, in green. I don’t think white or black stamps matters.

·
Registered
583 Posts
+1 for AK Builder barrel. That's what I picked for my '68. Also went with the Childers receiver.

Fridgepants, do you have a partial kit or what? Pictures, Pictures. Edit: I just saw this thread>>>Russain differances 1968 on up | AK Rifles (theakforum.net)

I believe '68 is the first year for the Bake magazine. Not sure which one, but I haven't dug into the Russian vault here yet for more details about what that would be exactly. Hint, Hint anyone. Vlado.

Oooooo Covfefe, sling sounds good.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Don't forget the new radom Polish barrels if you can find one

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
If you can’t locate a ”y“ stamped Romanian barrel then a new Polish is the way I’d go and it’s probably more accurate of a barrel than the Romy. You can still find Russian slings stamped 1968 between $30 and $60.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
+1 for AK Builder barrel. That's what I picked for my '68. Also went with the Childers receiver.

Fridgepants, do you have a partial kit or what? Pictures, Pictures. Edit: I just saw this thread>>>Russain differances 1968 on up | AK Rifles (theakforum.net)

I believe '68 is the first year for the Bake magazine. Not sure which one, but I haven't dug into the Russian vault here yet for more details about what that would be exactly. Hint, Hint anyone. Vlado.

If you can’t locate a ”y“ stamped Romanian barrel then a new Polish is the way I’d go and it’s probably more accurate of a barrel than the Romy. You can still find Russian slings stamped 1968 between $30 and $60.
Is the “y” different from the journal stamped 222 Romanian barrel?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

What is the correct length I see 16” and 16.25” and I’ll get some photos uploaded soon

·
Registered
295 Posts
IMHO for collectibility Combloc over US barrels.
Russian > Romanian old profile Y stamp > Romy old profile no Y > Polish > new Romy > US.

For shooting Polish and US will have the best overall accuracy. The Polish, new Romy, and US will have a feed ramp cut in which didnt appear on Russian Rifles until the 70s. Polish and US cut the handguard retainer slot differently as well. Old Romys have the heavy lathe lines that hearken back to the rough Soviet machining. Anecdotally the new Romys have some accuracy issues.

The Y stamp is a proof in addition to the journal numbers. Three different Y stamps can be found: Izzy, Tula, and Romy, though some debate that.

I've found enough virgin Y stamps and no Y to do almost all my Russian builds but the last one, a 62 Tula. Been trying to find another old Romy for it for months and months but no luck. I have a clean Romy G pulled barrel I may have to use if I can't find a virgin in time.

For your '68 Izzy, Childers is a great choice. 👍

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
IMHO for collectibility Combloc over US barrels.
Russian > Romanian old profile Y stamp > Romy old profile no Y > Polish > new Romy > US.

For shooting Polish and US will have the best overall accuracy. The Polish, new Romy, and US will have a feed ramp cut in which didnt appear on Russian Rifles until the 70s. Polish and US cut the handguard retainer slot differently as well. Old Romys have the heavy lathe lines that hearken back to the rough Soviet machining. Anecdotally the new Romys have some accuracy issues.

The Y stamp is a proof in addition to the journal numbers. Three different Y stamps can be found: Izzy, Tula, and Romy, though some debate that.

I've found enough virgin Y stamps and no Y to do almost all my Russian builds but the last one, a 62 Tula. Been trying to find another old Romy for it for months and months but no luck. I have a clean Romy G pulled barrel I may have to use if I can't find a virgin in time.

For your '68 Izzy, Childers is a great choice. 👍
Right on that gives me a good frame of reference. A quick search proves the circle Y barrels are going to take some time to track down. Are the Russian barrels even harden to come across? What length would be ideal for a ‘68?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Right on that gives me a good frame of reference. A quick search proves the circle Y barrels are going to take some time to track down. Are the Russian barrels even harden to come across? What length would be ideal for a ‘68?
I've diligently searched for a Russian AKM barrel for 3 years. I saw a rough one come up for $2,500 from Apex on an Egyptian kit. Vlado miraculously finds them on occasion and uses them for his amazing builds but I can't ever seem to find one. 😢

·
Registered
583 Posts
If I thought I could get a Russian barrel for my '68 l, I would have spent an exorbitant amount for that. Romanian barrel, Umm maybe. Love my Romy's but not the best made and well, whatever. Just buy the best barrel you can and move on with the build would be my advice. A Polish barrel would be the next choice for me maybe. But, trust your builder. Let them advise you and see the options. No matter what you do, It aint going to be a museum piece, but if it is an authentic rifle, then you have done your best. If your builder is worth the salt, then they will let you know. Be proud as a game rooster of your shit. And then shoot the friggin gun. After all, that's what it's about.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I've diligently searched for a Russian AKM barrel for 3 years. I saw a rough one come up for $2,500 from Apex on an Egyptian kit. Vlado miraculously finds them on occasion and uses them for his amazing builds but I can't ever seem to find one. 😢
True 'dat. Vlado just comes up with the shit. Somehow. That's why we hate him. Urp, I mean love him.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Big question for you is, do you want to put a lot of time, effort, and money into making it as historically accurate as possible for a kit or do you want to build a badass Russian shooter? Both would clearly be best but harder to complete with the available barrels. I have plenty of shooters so my Russian kits get as historically accurate as is humanely possible. Plus I love the minutia and details and recreating the original is just fun.

Some great info from RForbus on the files.

"The Fabryka Broni (Polish) AKM barrels. Very nice and consistent. Straight bores and concentric exteriors within small normal limits. They do not follow original AKM profile if that is critical such as for a Russian build where the goal is authenticity. The Romanian barrels. Decent and correct to the original contour but with horrible threading that can never be trusted.

Ak-Builder? Straight bores and concentric exteriors within small normal limits. Excellent control of threading, diameter consistency, and contour TIR. Correct profile for their AKM offering.
The handguard retainer keyseats of the Fabryka Broni unit have a rounded termination produced by an endmilling cutter and not the washout termination produced by a disk cutter. The breech journal of the Fabryka Broni barrel has a slight taper for several millimeters in order to clear the ridge on the turning guide (most of the time it will) instead of a turned step and chamfer. These features can be "corrected" with careful machining in order to mask the original cuts. None of the small differences change the function or assembly steps though."

Some reference pics I took comparing an FB and old Romy

FB has broader application of chrome
Musical instrument Office supplies Wood Close-up Recipe

Note the feed ramp on the FB and full circumference of chrome. Also the recess around the edge of the Romy
Cylinder Auto part Metal Recipe Font

Retainer slot differences with the Romy washout on the right.
Wood Office supplies Metal Natural material Titanium

The Romy muzzle is concave ve the nearly flat FB.
Office supplies Gas Auto part Wood Cylinder

FB smooth vs Romy lathe lines
Wood Recipe Ingredient Metal Cassolette

1 - 20 of 44 Posts