AK Rifles banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some painted bakelite i want to restore, it's that textured black paint... I belive it was applied as part of a conversion to make EG ak74 mags into .223 mags. Is it safe to use paint thinner on bakelite? I tried it a bit, doesn't appear to have done any harm to the bakelite... however the paint thinner isn't working well on removing the paint either. What would be safe to try? Lacquer thinner, acetone? any suggestions?

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
you can use a gel type stripper. the mags will appear flat and dull when you are finished becasue it will also remove the "glaze" from the mag. buy a can of clear semigloss laquer and sparay the mags when finished.

·
Registered
446 Posts
i agree with big all. if you go to your local paint store. you can usaully find stripper in a spray can made for fiberglass and plastic. i would give that a try. just remember the rule of thunb is to test a small area before you commit to the whole mag. good luck

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
By paint thiner, are you using mineral spirits, acetone, methyl ethyl ketone, denatured alcohol or something else? There is a huge spectrum of paint thinners, becuase they are specific to the components that make up a given paint.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I belive it was acetone. I'm going to do some more reading on ag-4 phenolic resin.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts